PDA

View Full Version : Fell in the line at Space mountain

Pages : [1] 2 3

SactoGuy
12-15-2009, 11:03 AM
So this is a first for me. My partner and i were at Disneyland for our christmas gift to each other 12/11-12/14 and on the 12th (the rainiest day) we had just got our fast passes to space mountain and decided to just line up b/c the line was so short. If anyone is familiar with the ride the ramp you walk up to get in line or get your fast passes is extremely slippery when it's wet and they lay out a ton of carpets along the walk way when you slip. somehow he put his foot down on one spot and down he went. All i saw was feet in the air and heard a hard smack. The cast member didn't know what to do. He got up and she asked if she should call anyone and at the time he said nothing really hurt, he was just a little dazed. Thankfully his back back was just on his shoulder and actually cushioned his head. So we rode space mountain, and by the time got off, he was complaining that his arm was numb and his hip was tingling. I kept asking him to go to the nurses station and he thought he was okay.... about 15 min pass and we did storybook land ride in the pouring rain... fastest version ever i have been on hahaha..

while we were on that he started to complain his arm was tingling, like it was asleep and his hip was throbbing.

So we went back to our hotel... wasted pretty much the whole day while he slept, he took some ibuprofen and laid down. when it finally stopped raining around 8 we went back in, and at that point he said his whole right side was tingling, so we finally went to the nurses office.

of course they were incredibly nice, they took down all our information, time date etc... gave him an ice pack and said he may have tissue swollen around the nerves from the fall and that was why everything was numb and tingling and recommended as soon as we got home to go to the doctors unless it got worse. Well he's still numb and tingly.

I guess my question is, is it wrong to ask for that day refunded by the park? I would never even dream of attempting to sue or anything, i just think they should have had a lot more of the mats out if they knew it was so slippery and b/c of the fall we spent most of the day in the hotel and the rest of trip was a lot slower due to his arm and hip.

The funny part, b/c i am a moron i packed for a summer trip and only had shorts a tshirt and flipflops on and a poncho... and one would have thought i would be the one to bite it hahaha.

also who do i contact at the park? or do they contact us?

disneylandgirl
12-15-2009, 11:38 AM
I'm very sorry to hear this happened. I would be torn too. It's not like they didn't have ANY mats out, knowing how slipery it is and all. But I do understand that the day was kinda ruined because of it. I'm sure Disney would understand, if you do decide to ask for one day's refund. They might ask for a receipt or ticket or something though, to prove that you were there that day.

kfreak
12-15-2009, 12:10 PM
I'm very sorry to hear this happened. I would be torn too. It's not like they didn't have ANY mats out, knowing how slipery it is and all. But I do understand that the day was kinda ruined because of it. I'm sure Disney would understand, if you do decide to ask for one day's refund. They might ask for a receipt or ticket or something though, to prove that you were there that day.

Actually to prove that they were in the park all Disney would have to do is check for the incident report. They have to keep them on file in case of lawsuit's file against them from people being hurt in the park. As far as getting a single day refunded I don't know if they will do it, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Britt W
12-15-2009, 12:30 PM
Any sort of refund or compensation that you would receive would be in exchange for agreeing not to sue. Quid pro quo at it's most basic level.

My grandmother fell in a large chain restaurant a few years ago. The restaurant paid for all of her medical and offered her a small amount of cash for her pain and suffering. All she had to do was sign an agreement that she wouldn't sue.

SactoGuy
12-15-2009, 12:44 PM
that never even crossed my mind, unless he lost use of his arm and leg... then i think that merits a lifetime annual pass =) kidding!

mswong40
12-15-2009, 12:49 PM
that never even crossed my mind, unless he lost use of his arm and leg... then i think that merits a lifetime annual pass =) kidding!

LOL!! But indeed a serious situation. I think its worth a shot and perhaps they might even try to reach out to you too?!

Rockchalker
12-15-2009, 01:07 PM

Maybe not a lifetime pass, but your partner could have serious medical issues from this fall, especially if he is still having nerve problems and the bills could add up.

Good luck.

cstephens
12-15-2009, 02:08 PM
OK, I guess I'm the dissenting opinion.

No, I don't think the OP should ask for a refund of the day. Yes, it was raining, yes, they took precautions, yes, things get slippery in the rain. Accidents happen and sometimes, without anyone being at fault.

I was really amazed that after taking that kind of fall, the person who fell still went on Space Mountain. If I was around someone who fell that hard, I would certainly be discouraging them from going on a ride, much less a roller coaster.

I hope the person who fell doesn't have any lasting injuries, and I'm sorry the trip wasn't the same because of what happened, but I just don't think Disneyland needs to refund the money for the day.

CariBelle
12-15-2009, 02:13 PM
I agree with cstephens.

BlkPearlCptn
12-15-2009, 02:32 PM
I agree with cstephens.

Same here.

Rockchalker
12-15-2009, 02:34 PM
OK, I guess I'm the dissenting opinion.

No, I don't think the OP should ask for a refund of the day. Yes, it was raining, yes, they took precautions, yes, things get slippery in the rain. Accidents happen and sometimes, without anyone being at fault.

I was really amazed that after taking that kind of fall, the person who fell still went on Space Mountain. If I was around someone who fell that hard, I would certainly be discouraging them from going on a ride, much less a roller coaster.

I hope the person who fell doesn't have any lasting injuries, and I'm sorry the trip wasn't the same because of what happened, but I just don't think Disneyland needs to refund the money for the day.

Overall, I agree with you. My question is if they took enough precautions. Did they have it marked "Slippery When Wet" or "Caution Wet Floor" or just rely on the mats to make people aware?

SactoGuy
12-15-2009, 03:33 PM
well at the time he said he didn't feel it, and even the nurse said if it was nerve injury he wouldn't have felt it at first. She said generally unless a bone is exposed, there's blood or a person is knocked out you won't know till several hours later. She said the attendant should have called for help and insisted he go sit, which i told him too. I was not happy he got up and went on the ride.

Nothing was marked at the the time just the mats which were the ones the ones they usually have in front of the doors to wipe your feet placed about 1foot to 2 feet away from each other... so more then enough space for someone to slip. the part where he slipped was right where the regular line and fast past line entrance start. So if you envision a "Y" shape it was in the middle of the two arms.

After when we went back in the park they had the caution cones up and they double upped the mat's. The Nurse said he wasn't the only one that fell in that area that day and it's a problem.

If it was his fault or he was running or something dumb like that i would have never even thought to ask, but this was a little more then that.

The next day when we went on a lady was complaining to the cm that her daughter slipped in the same exact area and split her lip, and was mad. B/c before hand the cm was joking about people falling and hurting themselves to someone he knew. we got to stand in the line with her and had 15 min of her fuming mad. Then Terry told her what happened to her and she just got madder.

I've never been that type of person, but the rest of our trip really was ruined due to something that could have been avoided by putting more mats.

I did find it odd though that only the distance from the fast passes to the where the honey i shrunk the audience is slippery. the rest isnt... and even where you get your fast passes its really slippery. And its really slippery.

They did however later in the evening when we returned, put signs up everywhere and doubled up the mats. We went back to get the name of the CM.

My partner really feels we should have it refunded i am on the border on this, just b/c i broke my foot at Disneyland once on tom sawyer island and never thought in a million years to ever ask that... it was on the barrel bridge...stepped wrong. The next day though when i came back with my cast they did give me complimentary passes to all my favourite rides... and i didn't realize i broke my foot till about two hours later when all the sudden i had throbbing pain and thought i was going to throw up. i had a little swelling but nothing that bad, and a CM had someone come and look at it. i had probably gone on three rides and walked from New Orleans square to tomorrowland. So i Went straight to the nurses and went straight to kaiser.

nbaum
12-15-2009, 03:40 PM
I agree with cstephens.

As do I.

mechurchlady
12-15-2009, 03:51 PM
Here is my story. It was a holiday and the weather was clear and dry. I was going to the kennels to meet a CM friend to trade or give her pins and time was short. Disneyland staff had washed down the exit of the tram and I went sliding. It was a very slippery when wet area. CMs checked on my but I was short for time so I hobbled to the meeting place then to the Nurse's station. I filed a report immediately and from the onset it hurt big time and my knew for a long time was swollen. In my case Disneyland had an area that was unsafe and unmarked. I did not know there was water on the ground until I fell because of crowds.

In this case I agree with cstephens. Disneyland tried hard to help guests with the mats and if I fel that hard I would not have ridden the ride.

cstephens
12-15-2009, 03:56 PM
Did they have it marked "Slippery When Wet" or "Caution Wet Floor" or just rely on the mats to make people aware?

I'm sorry, I know that people do put signs out in some situations, and it appears they did later on, but do people REALLY need a sign to tell them that the pavement is slippery when it's wet or that the floor is wet when it's POURING RAIN out? People wouldn't be able to realize that on their own? If there was a spill or something unexpected, that would be different, but we're talking RAIN.

If it was his fault or he was running or something dumb like that i would have never even thought to ask, but this was a little more then that.

I understand that it's not his fault. I just don't happen to believe that it's Disneyland's fault either. It's the fault of the wet floor, which happened because of the rain, which is no one's fault.

SactoGuy
12-15-2009, 04:11 PM
I thought i would ask, i go to Disneyland 5-7 times a year since i can remember, and never had anything like that happen. I broke my freaking foot there and never thought to even ask!

My partner on the other hand burns his tongue on coffee and thinks there should be a warning on the cup in 20 different languages...

mousecanuck
12-15-2009, 04:44 PM
But maybe if it's such a problem area it should be re-designed??? I know there's a common sense factor but seriously - you get a million people - half of whom are kids and all who are excited - going up the ramp/walkway, there has to be a better design maybe??? Rain isn't that uncommon, and again, there's common sense and there are some other areas that get a little slick in the rain, but this sounds bad, regularly (they have matts and signs, etc. - they are aware of the problem and it's regular enough that they are mostly prepared for it, right?) I haven't personally experienced it so I don't know, but if it is that slick on a semi-regular basis, it might be worth checking out before someone does serious, long term damage to themselves, no?

nbaum
12-15-2009, 05:12 PM
But maybe if it's such a problem area it should be re-designed??? I know there's a common sense factor but seriously - you get a million people - half of whom are kids and all who are excited - going up the ramp/walkway, there has to be a better design maybe??? Rain isn't that uncommon, and again, there's common sense and there are some other areas that get a little slick in the rain, but this sounds bad, regularly (they have matts and signs, etc. - they are aware of the problem and it's regular enough that they are mostly prepared for it, right?) I haven't personally experienced it so I don't know, but if it is that slick on a semi-regular basis, it might be worth checking out before someone does serious, long term damage to themselves, no?

I wouldn't call rain common when the average rainfall is only 12.6 inches a year. ;) I agree that the area isn't designed that well though.

dznyphreak
12-15-2009, 06:28 PM
Maybe, rather than asking for compensation, the proper course of action would be to file a kindly-worded complaint suggesting that they look into fixing the problem, since it sounds like the OP's partner wasn't the only victim of the slick ground. They just repaved basically all of TL...maybe they could do the same there with better pavement material?

I'm of the opinion that there are few things that warrant Disney paying for your day at the park. A slippery floor from rain is not one of them.

torquedork
12-15-2009, 08:04 PM
When I had done Space Mountain early Saturday morning, there was a CM telling people to be careful due to the floor being slippery even when mats were lined up the entire ramp.

I even had joked to the CM about slipping and sliding across the floor as I had started walking up the ramp.

Rockchalker
12-15-2009, 10:19 PM
I'm sorry, I know that people do put signs out in some situations, and it appears they did later on, but do people REALLY need a sign to tell them that the pavement is slippery when it's wet or that the floor is wet when it's POURING RAIN out? People wouldn't be able to realize that on their own? If there was a spill or something unexpected, that would be different, but we're talking RAIN.

I understand that it's not his fault. I just don't happen to believe that it's Disneyland's fault either. It's the fault of the wet floor, which happened because of the rain, which is no one's fault.

Not sure why you are sorry.... :confused::confused::confused:

Based on what the OP has stated, that more than one person fell, yes, people REALLY do need a sign to tell them that the pavement is slippery. And, obviously, Disney also believes this as signs were eventually posted warning people of unsafe conditions.

Furthermore, not all pavement is slippery when it is pouring rain. I have run through the MK at WDW several times during heavy rain storms with never a concern of slippery conditions. So some people might not be expecting slippery conditions or some pavement, ground covering, etc. is just not as slippery as others.

Your fault argument does not make sense. You understand it is not his fault nor feel it is Disney's fault, but fault the wet floor. Does not Disney own that wet floor and as a business owner have the responsibility of letting the patrons know that the floors are extremely slippery when wet?

Living in Colorado, especially during the snowy months, it is common to find in the entrances of grocery and retail stores warnings that the floors might be slippery because of the snow being brought in on boots and shoes.

I think it is a courtesy as well as a safety issue.

cstephens
12-16-2009, 12:39 AM
Does not Disney own that wet floor and as a business owner have the responsibility of letting the patrons know that the floors are extremely slippery when wet?

Sure, if you subscribe to the notion that people need have no responsibility for themselves and that some corporate entity needs to tell them something that should be fairly obvious. I guess when it's hot out, Disney should also have signs telling people to make sure to have sunscreen on because otherwise, they'll get a sunburn.

mechurchlady
12-16-2009, 02:26 AM
Did and could Disney do anything to prevent falls? Mats are not the answer. There is drainage and other stuff to keep water off the walkways and from standing. Removing painted areas of walkways would greatly help as that is why I fell. The ground had a paint or coated area that became slick when wet. Adding treads also will help.

A person with hiking boots or deck shoes should not go sliding on wet pavement. Disney management should walk some areas in high heels or sandals to see how far they can slide. I have walked through Disney parks barefoot because I could not trust the wet pavement.

Slippery when wet does not just include rain but also spilled soda pop and water as well as some disgusting things.

orchid2
12-16-2009, 06:11 AM
First off sorry this happened to you... but when ever you take a big fall last thing you should do is go onto a ride and space mountain is really one not to go on unless your fine.... going to the nurses station with all the problems this person was feeling is the first place to go and get looked at..... they have a wonderful staff there that will help....

I saw a lady fall just on the wood walking area next to the Tiki Room right when they opened... they had staff there right away and took her to the nurses station in a wheel chair.. all day i thought of her and if she was ok....

should anything happen like a bad fall go to the nurses station forget the ride..

Angie2009
12-16-2009, 06:15 AM
Here's a response not based on right or wrong, but practicality.

As someone else said, accepting compensation means normally signing that you won't sue.

Don't do anything until certain of the full extent of injuries, which can take a while. If your friend is covered by health insurance, the insurance company would want to keep the right to go after Disney in the event they deem it necessary - they are really the ones out of money for doctor bills.

If all is well medically, I would tell them you are unhappy and what it would take to make you happy. Make it a request that is easy to honor and they probably will. Money back is probably harder than free something or other. I do this in situations where I would never consider suing but where it impacts my feeling of goodwill to the company, to give them a chance to make it right and make me feel better about it, and to give them a chance not to wreck it for someone else.

Good luck,
Angie