PDA

View Full Version : Napa Rose Christmas menu

Pages : [1] 2

MuckaMowie
12-14-2009, 06:29 PM
Couple of questions: 1. Where can I find a copy of the current menu for Napa Rose. I have found the Autumn menu online, but I think that might have changed by now since Winter is upon us next week. 2. Do they have a different menu for Christmas day or is the Christmas menu the same for the holiday (winter) season?

disneyland addict13
12-14-2009, 09:39 PM
I'm also interested in knowing the current Napa Rose Winter menu. We have reservations this Sunday (12/20) for the 5:30 chef's counter seating. We're so excited!!!

fairestoneofall
12-16-2009, 05:41 AM
As of last weekend they were still serving the Fall menu. The 1st day of winter isn't until next week. When we were there last weekend they advised us that it would change then.

MuckaMowie
12-21-2009, 02:50 PM
YUMMMM. . .it was their Christmas menu. I had the goose, and for dessert, the decadent hot chocolate. Amazing. Saucy, our server (really) was fabulous. Husband had the cioppino, and for dessert an apple crisp with ginger ice cream. Also had the portabello bisque which was spectacular. Friends with us had beef dishes, nothing unusual but excellent. A good thyme was had by all.

bennette
12-21-2009, 03:01 PM
Oh my god. Ginger ice cream. I must have it.

Dang. Must convince husband to go. Or maybe I know someone who will want to stop by just for ice cream on the 29th...

adriennek
12-21-2009, 03:09 PM
I want the goose. I so want that goose. I need to go while they have the goose. I probably won't get to, though. :(

Pity.Party. Big time!

Adrienne

bennette
12-21-2009, 04:02 PM
Think harder Adrienne! One of us must go. :0

Crazydave
12-24-2009, 12:25 PM
Also had the portabello bisque which was spectacular.

I'm not a mushroom fan.... but this was AWESOME....especiially when paired with a pinot noir

bennette
12-24-2009, 12:33 PM
We are going! On the 30th. We have tickets to a concert at the House of Blues after so we "needed" dinner anyway, right?

I am so excited.

Counter seats, too!! Hopefully they won't be too busy to chat.

candles71
12-24-2009, 01:01 PM
We are going! On the 30th. We have tickets to a concert at the House of Blues after so we "needed" dinner anyway, right?

I am so excited.

Counter seats, too!! Hopefully they won't be too busy to chat.

Congrats Bennette, I know you'll have a lovely time.:D

cstephens
12-24-2009, 02:56 PM
I'm wondering if the goose and ginger ice cream have been put on the regular menu. We stopped in to make a reservation a couple weeks ago, and when I looked at the Vintner's menu that night, the main course was goose and ginger ice cream was part of the dessert. I *so* wanted to eat there, but we really couldn't, and they were all booked up anyway.

We have reservations for this Saturday night, a regular table because the counter seats were booked except for 1 and 2, and we didn't want to sit there. However, I think we're going to end up canceling it to make sure we have more time to spend with friends at the park that night. That's one of the *few* reasons to make me voluntarily give up Napa Rose.

bennette
12-24-2009, 03:22 PM
I'm wondering if the goose and ginger ice cream have been put on the regular menu.

I'm all for adding new ice creams so long as they don't take cinnamon off the menu.

I asked first thing how long goose would be on the menu when I called (I still feel the sting of missing it last year) and they said probably just through New Year's--and even that was a little iffy; Andrew hadn't told them yet how many more days they would serve it. (Except they just called him "the chef," not Andrew.) I will be calling back in a couple of days to confirm it's still available.

stan4d_steph
12-25-2009, 06:31 PM
Goose and ginger ice cream is my favorite flavor.

potzbie
12-26-2009, 08:46 AM
Goose and ginger ice cream is my favorite flavor.

Goose-flavored ice cream? :eek:

Don't the feathers tickle your nose when you put the cone to your face? :D

"Porcupine pie. Porcupine pie. Porcupine pie.
Vanilla soup. A double scoop, please."
- Neil Diamond

bennette
12-26-2009, 10:27 PM
Not really.

Plus the decadent food trifecta of delicious goose fat, heavy cream, and sugar make it worth this minor inconvenience.

cstephens
12-26-2009, 11:19 PM
We did actually end up having dinner at Napa Rose tonight. The goose is listed as a main course item, and the ginger ice cream is included as part of a regular dessert item.

I was pretty happy that the current Vintner's menu didn't appeal to me so that I could order off the regular menu. I had a starter of the seared ahi sashimi, which was pretty tasty, and then I had the goose, which was quite good. Picture included.

And while the ginger ice cream was good, the apple tart thing that it came with was absolutely amazing. The wording didn't make it jump out at me that much, but when I asked our server her recommendation between two desserts, she definitely said the apple with the ginger ice cream, so I went with that. I've got a so-so picture of the dessert if anyone wants to see it.

Dinner was a bit slower than normal because the kitchen was really busy, but we had a good time chatting amongst ourselves and with the server, who was someone we knew from prior visits. Andrew had the night off (calm in between multiple storms, so to speak), so we didn't get a chance to say hi to him. This is actually the first time we've been at a table in quite some time.

Our server asked if we were coming back on New Year's Eve but then mock pouted when we said we already had other plans.

Really glad we ended up being able to go tonight.

adriennek
12-26-2009, 11:24 PM
We did actually end up having dinner at Napa Rose tonight. The goose is listed as a main course item, and the ginger ice cream is included as part of a regular dessert item.

I'm thinking of a word. If you don't know what it is, ask bennette.

:p

;)

Adrienne

mechurchlady
12-27-2009, 01:46 AM
cstephens thanks for the report and I now want to try Napa Rose and think Mom will like the food there. I have never had goose that I can remember.

janell
12-27-2009, 05:43 PM
Hows the service been at Napa Rose lately?

I ask because I was in there last week, picking up a gift card. While I was being helped a man came to the check in desk and asked why after 40 min of sitting in the lounge, they hadn't been offered a drink? No one had come over to see if they needed anything. The man was quite upset and I thought it was odd that someone would be sitting for 40 min and no one checked in on them. The man said he was a DVC member and he would be reporting this to someone with DCV. I hope this was just something odd timing and not how Napa is becoming.

cstephens
12-27-2009, 08:12 PM
While I was being helped a man came to the check in desk and asked why after 40 min of sitting in the lounge, they hadn't been offered a drink? No one had come over to see if they needed anything.

I can say that I've never had bad or even mediocre service at Napa Rose in all the times I've been. As for the lounge, I can see that if someone came in during a busy time and just sat down, and the servers were all busy running around, they might not have noticed them. I'm wondering why he sat there for 40 minutes before he said anything, but I'm laughing that he played the "I'm a DVC member" card. Oh, right, it's an outrage that this happened to you because after all, you're a DVC member!

janell
12-27-2009, 08:31 PM
I can say that I've never had bad or even mediocre service at Napa Rose in all the times I've been. As for the lounge, I can see that if someone came in during a busy time and just sat down, and the servers were all busy running around, they might not have noticed them. I'm wondering why he sat there for 40 minutes before he said anything, but I'm laughing that he played the "I'm a DVC member" card. Oh, right, it's an outrage that this happened to you because after all, you're a DVC member!

Im glad to hear you haven't had any problems. Its been a long time for us since we were last at Napa Rose. Last time being January 2009 for a privet party. I really enjoy Napa and hope it stays special and has great service.

I was a bit shocked too that he sit there for 40 min and not say anything. He could have easily walked up to the bar and asked for drinks or a waiter.

It wasn't all that busy inside, I was at the bar taking care of the gift card. But because it didn't look busy, doesn't mean it wasn't. I have no idea how many were staffed for the night.

I too thought it was funny he played the DVC memeber card. I was wondering if saying something to someone at DVC will do more then just chatting with the manager or Napa. Not being a DVC member myself, Im not really sure if being a DVC member gives you clout or not. All I am is a PAP, what do I know. lol

adriennek
12-27-2009, 09:32 PM
I will say truthfully that there has been an occasion where I have had less than stellar service. There is one server there who I do not enjoy. I don't like saying that but I have had more than one encounter with this service person. One time when it happened, the other servers in the area picked up the slack. (Ok, I'll say it: I was there with a VIP. So when this server didn't do the job, it did not go unnoticed by the staff and other staff were pressed into service to pick up the slack.)

So there. Now you know, NR isn't perfect, even in my opinion. And I promise that this is true. It doesn't stop me from going there and wanting to go back but I don't want anyone to think I was misleading them.

But if anyone chooses not to risk meeting that server, absolutely, avoid the place at all costs. ;)

ETA: But I totally agree on who the heck waits 40 minutes to complain? If I hadn't been helped in about 10 - 15 minutes I'd be looking around and taking some (very polite) initiative.

Adrienne

cstephens
12-30-2009, 11:40 PM
I had the pleasure of joining Bennette at Napa Rose for dinner tonight - counter, seats 5 and 6! :)

A review will be posted probably sometime this weekend when I actually have a chance to put one together, but it was a fabulous dinner, as usual, though even more fabulous in a number of ways.

Andrew Sutton was actually working on the other side of the counter from our seats when we got there, so he greeted us upon arrival. He said that this night (Wednesday, 12/30) was the last night for the goose as well as the special holiday eggnog creme brulee. Tomorrow night (Thursday, 12/31), they'll be doing their special New Year's Eve dinner, and then I expect most of the regular staff will be recovering for the several days following. They were doing a lot of prep work tonight for tomorrow's dinner.

I was pretty happy with the server we had. I've never had him before, but I recognize him from prior visits. I was just happy it wasn't the same server the last couple times we've been at the counter, who I'm not particularly fond of.

Andrew was working the pass with Gloria for most of the night. Alex was doing a lot of prep work for tomorrow night's dinner. I didn't see Francisco until very late, and only for a couple minutes. I'm assuming he was doing prep for tomorrow night as well.

bennette
12-31-2009, 12:59 AM
I expect to be consuming only fennel tea tomorrow, in order to recover from a very lovely meal.

You know it's good when dessert is about fifth on your list of the best parts.

Note to self: ask cstephens what "the pass" is, exactly?

mechurchlady
12-31-2009, 04:21 AM
Drat missed the goose dinner.:~D The only menu I have been able to find is for Autumn. Will there be a Winter menu for January 3, 2010 and if so does anyone have a link? I have never had pheasant but would love the swordfish. After this no more eating out for the month so I want this to be special. I want to be prepared for Mom's questions.