PDA

View Full Version : I made it into the "Hot Seat" Saturday!

PurpleDove33
02-07-2003, 07:29 AM
I went to Millionair at the 6:00 show last weekend on Saturday and ran into a friend who had gone to I think at least two other shows that day. He got one of the ring of fire seats and gave it to me. He also while we were talking said he noticed that the other fastest finger questions all were the same order. So when the question came up, which was one of those put in order of their release dates from the earliest, I pushed the buttons in the same order that he said the answers were in the other shows that day. Well I ended up at number one. I was in total shock. They went and brought me my wheelchair and let me sit in it, instead of trying to get in that stool that is to high for me to get in. One thing I noticed is that it is totally different for me sitting there with 600+ people stairing at me then when you are sitting playing along with the person in the hot seat. And of course seeing myself on those big screens was nerve racking for me too. The host Mark, let me know I got the answer in a second and a half. I got to the 32,000 point question and they gave me some question that had to do with Kenneth J. Lane. What was he famous for designing? Well I had never even heard of this guy. And of corse I had the phone a stanger lifeline left. The guy said he was 75% that he knew the answer, so I agreed with him. Which was wrong of course. The answers they had were, A. Hats, B. Shoes, C. Cloths, or D. Jewlery. And I was torn between B and D. Well it was Jewlery. Oh well at least I got to be in the hot seat and I did get a hat and some pins with a button saying I was in the hot seat. I was so close to the cruise I could taste it. Well maybe there will be a next time.

Not Afraid
02-07-2003, 07:39 AM
That's WONDERFUL! I wish I had been there to see you in that hot seat.

If it makes you feel may better, I wuldn't have gotten the Kenneth J. Lane questions right either. I did a Google search on him and saw why. Not my style of jewlery at all. My Mother would've loved him, though.

There's a good description of his style and history on this site. (http://www.vintagejewelrycollect.com/c-signed-KennethLane-1.html)

MouseWife
02-07-2003, 07:41 AM
Yeah!! You go, Purpledove!!!

Aw, I guess you don't buy Avon. He is a big designer real jewelry but also designs knock offs for Avon.

But, that is trivia I thought I would never need.

Well, I wish I had been there to cheer you on!!

Keep going and maybe you will be able to start a thread

I'm going on a Disney Cruise!! :)

MouseWife

Morrigoon
02-07-2003, 08:47 AM
Cool, purpledove!

MammaSilva
02-07-2003, 09:11 AM
WTG Purpledove that is sooo cool :)

Rallymonkey23
02-07-2003, 10:07 AM
Awwww, you made it to the hot seat and I missed it?!
Hopefully we can go and you'll get in it again and have some confetti blow at the end of your turn just like them soap stars we saw win the 1,000,000 point question. ;)

lindyhop
02-12-2003, 07:07 PM
How fun! I've only been to Millionaire once and I was really surprised how much I enjoyed it. And how I annoyed that I couldn't get my answers in fast enough!

MonorailMan
02-12-2003, 07:10 PM
Good for you! :)

I knew you could do it. :)

tod
02-13-2003, 09:14 AM
Keep plugging. Fourth time's the charm.;)

--T

mad4mky
02-13-2003, 10:35 AM
Cool PurpleDove!!!

My hubby would be envious.:)

dingdong2U
02-14-2003, 10:32 AM
I was able to jump into the hot seat the day after purple got in on the Fastest Finger. My fastest finger question was put these US states in the correct order going from west to east. I ended up being #1 with a time of 3.800 seconds. I was soooo expecting someone to just mash in a random combination of letters but nobody did.

I ended up making it up to the 125,000 point question but bombed out on a Garrison Keillor "Lake Wobegon" type question.

Nobody has mentioned anything about the "new" 1000 point baseball caps that they are now giving out. Anybody like/hate them?

--- Mike

tod
02-14-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by dingdong2U
I ended up making it up to the 125,000 point question but bombed out on a Garrison Keillor "Lake Wobegon" type question.

Nobody has mentioned anything about the "new" 1000 point baseball caps that they are now giving out. Anybody like/hate them?

Bummer. What was the question?

And I prefer the old olive-drab caps with the rubber logo sewn on. The new ones look like little neon signs.

--T

BTT
02-14-2003, 02:13 PM
I like the new hats...as I understand it, one of the emcees actually designed the new cap.

Ben T.

dingdong2U
02-14-2003, 03:51 PM
The question (paraphrased) was:

In the radio show "Prarie Home Companion", what is the name of the private eye detective?

The answers were: A-Guy Noir B-Mickey Spillane (or Mike Hammer, one of the two) C-Nick Danger D-Sam Spade

It was obviously not B or D so I could rule those out but not knowing much about the radio show I unfortunately picked C and was booted out. :-(

The questions on my stack were kinda easy except for a few. I did use the "clicking" in the audience to help me out on a few questions as well as that "4th lifeline" ;-)

It kinda bumms me out though that I almost got the 125,000 point question right. Because it really makes we wonder what the 250,000 point question would have been had I made it to that point. 3 questions to the Million and the jacket would have been mine. ;-)

Oh well, I'll try again in 30 days...

--- Mike

P.S. The new hats were designed by Ellen Horne (sp?). Some of my friends like to rub it in that she created the hats when we jump in the hot seat with her hosting. *smirk* :-)

tod
02-14-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by dingdong2U
The question (paraphrased) was:

In the radio show "Prarie Home Companion", what is the name of the private eye detective?

The answers were: A-Guy Noir B-Mickey Spillane (or Mike Hammer, one of the two) C-Nick Danger D-Sam Spade

It was obviously not B or D so I could rule those out but not knowing much about the radio show I unfortunately picked C and was booted out. :-(

Bummer. True, it was not B or D, but Nick Danger was a character done by the Firesign Theatre -- so it had to be Guy Noir. Like I said -- a misspent youth.

I saw the same thing happen when a question come up "Which one of these is not a Pokémon?" and "Frodo" came up. Or the time they asked which one of these was not one of Walt Disney's silent Alice comedies and Alice Gets Cable TV was one of the choices.

Keep trying -- it CAN be done.

--T

KarenW2
02-14-2003, 10:06 PM
I like the black hats better than the gray ones, with one exception - it doesn't say Millionaire on it ANYWHERE!! Just Disney's California Adventure, 1,000 point winner & the lifeline logos. I asked one of the CMs why it didn't have it on there and he had no idea.

jslivinski
03-04-2003, 12:05 PM
Congratulations, enjoy your cruise.

timl33
03-04-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by tod
Bummer. True, it was not B or D, but Nick Danger was a character done by the Firesign Theatre -- so it had to be Guy Noir. Like I said -- a misspent youth.

I saw the same thing happen when a question come up "Which one of these is not a Pokémon?" and "Frodo" came up. Or the time they asked which one of these was not one of Walt Disney's silent Alice comedies and Alice Gets Cable TV was one of the choices.

Keep trying -- it CAN be done.

--T

Yeah, but those types of answers generally come up on the lower point questions. On the same subject, my friend got into the hot seat a few months ago and was faced with "Which one of these is not a documentary?" and Pete's Dragon was one of the answers. Too bad he didn't notice the word "documentary" in there and he burned the ask the audience question. Nick Danger/Guy Noir is defintely harder, IMO.

The great thing about WWTBAM is that it's the one thing in DCA that I can do all day. That's what makes an AP worthwhile. Otherwise I probably wouldn't pay full price to go again.

tod
03-04-2003, 04:19 PM
No, not me -- this was something the coördinator told us when we were getting ready to go out and face The Jeopardy! Board:

"If you know 'em, they're easy.
If you don't, they're hard."

It's really as simple as that.

--T
who, luckily, got an "easy" stack