PDA

View Full Version : too much pixar

Pages : [1] 2

princessariel
12-13-2009, 03:58 PM
i'v recently realized that there is going to be way too much pixar at CA adventure. with the toy story musical and carsland, plus the pixar parade and the other stuff pixar already has in the park, it's just way too much. i mean, i love pixars movies, but i think CA adventure is overdoing it...does anyone agree? :)

K & S
12-13-2009, 04:48 PM
I thought they should use Pixar in DCA and classic Disney characters at Disneyland. Of course the Little Mermaid ride and Buzz Lightyear make that type of separation impossible now.

houseofmouse
12-13-2009, 04:55 PM
Disney is Pixar now. So it resonates with today's kids. I was hoping it would stay out of Hollywood Area but with Toy Story coming in 2011. :|

As long as it makes money, it will happen. We loved Cars and can't wait to see the new land. Which is what Disney knows will happen when the land opens. People will buy a ticket, just to see it. Caching. :)

One could argue there is too much princess in the park. WDW's new Fantasyland will be 80% Princess, so who is to say what too much saturation is?

VickiC
12-13-2009, 05:17 PM
I don't think kids make a distinction between the two. Why should they?

Rockchalker
12-13-2009, 06:01 PM
i'v recently realized that there is going to be way too much pixar at CA adventure. with the toy story musical and carsland, plus the pixar parade and the other stuff pixar already has in the park, it's just way too much. i mean, i love pixars movies, but i think CA adventure is overdoing it...does anyone agree? :)

No, not at all. I really think they are making a lot of great changes to DCA. IMHO, I have always thought Disney made a mistake with DCA; put a park about California in California???? Don't get me wrong, I love Soaring, California Screamin' and Mickey's Fun Wheel. I am just glad they have the space to add a new Carsland and change Paradise Pier this upcoming light show (cannot think of the name...)

I thought they should use Pixar in DCA and classic Disney characters at Disneyland. Of course the Little Mermaid ride and Buzz Lightyear make that type of separation impossible now.

And finally using the lagoon with Finding Nemo!

adriennek
12-13-2009, 06:23 PM
but i think CA adventure is overdoing it...does anyone agree? :)

No.

Adrienne

HobbitFeet
12-13-2009, 09:11 PM
Nope, don't agree.

Pixar is awesome. The old Disney movies tend to be scary and waaaaay too dark. Pixar can get serious (big fight between Mr/Mrs Incredible, just to name the first thing that popped to mind), but they are also funny, sweet, and just GOOD stories...they deserve to be around the parks.

Then again, we like DCA just about more than DL, so...

mkraemer
12-13-2009, 09:23 PM
My family has jokingly referred to Disney's California Adventure as Pixarland for quite some time, and no, I don't think there is too much of a good thing there.

Mr. Lasseter can do no wrong, in my humble opinion.

nbaum
12-13-2009, 10:06 PM
I don't think so. The Pixar movies are excellent. We are really excited about the changes they are making to DCA.

potzbie
12-13-2009, 10:25 PM
I think CA adventure is overdoing it...does anyone agree? :)

Not I.

What is "too much"?

AT IMBD, I did a keyword search for "pixar" and subsearch on "pixar animated film".
Below is the list it produced.
WALL•E

UP

RATATOUILLE

TOY STORY

THE INCREDIBLES

MONSTERS INC

CARS
... Plus shorts I am not too familiar with.

Is DCA including too much MONSTERS INC, too much CARS?

I don't think so.

For the record, I don't think UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOLLYWOOD is including too much FLINTSTONES, too much SIMPSONS, too much SHREK, too much TERMINATOR, in their theme park, either.

Oh, and I don't think KNOTT'S BERRY FARM is including too much "old west" in their theme park, either.

But maybe SIX FLAGS MAGIC MOUNTAIN is overdosing on WARNER BROTHERS CARTOON CHARACTERS.

olegc
12-13-2009, 10:56 PM
so I will ask the OP back - what would you want instead? would there be more characters? I mean - if you look at Disneyland the fab 5 is not really part of any attraction except within Toontown. Fantasyland has the old school characters and fairy tales, adventureland and frontierland still has references to the live action films from the old Disney days, Critter country was bear country with it's own unique characters until Splash was installed (and the Br'er trio came in). and in one of the first places in Disneyland Buzz was put into Tomorrowland -but not because it was pixar per se but because there was success with this attraction in WDW.

To me - it's just the same model. Whatever the current popular trend for Disney films (not touchstone, not buens vista, but Disney) those characters end up in the parks. More immediately into parades - but over time as characters become more entrenched they get put into attractions.

Remember too that DCA will also have Mermaid, World of Color which will reference several films, Mickey's Silly Sympony Swings, and supposedly Goofy over at Mulholland Madness. Also their attempt to put Mickey's Philharmagic into Hollywood Backlot is still an idea, and the GRR raft ride could go back to a Natures Wonderland style of attractions. So - if you look - it's not completely pixar. But it IS pixar because Pixar is SUCCESSFUL and POPULAR for the Disney Company.

If TIana starts a string of more DIsney animated films again, and they come out with a few attractions, will folks complain about too much focus on "modern" disney films? The parks have something for everyone - as intended.

parymoppins
12-13-2009, 11:14 PM
Disney is Pixar now. So it resonates with today's kids. I was hoping it would stay out of Hollywood Area but with Toy Story coming in 2011. :|

The Monsters Inc. ride is in the Hollywood Area.

I like all of the Pixar movie attractions, and I am really excited about the Radiator Springs area. I also think they should have a Wall-e character for pictures in Tomorrowland.

I actually think that DCA may be in danger of becoming too Mickey-ish. The giant Mickey face on the Ferris wheel is too much for my tastes; it feels like the Ferris wheel is an idol I'm supposed to worship. Also, I don't understand the reasoning behind the turning the orange stinger into the silly symphony swings. The concept art doesn’t even represent a silly symphony cartoon. I always thought that they should just give it a paint job and call it the "James and the giant peach” ride. I would love to see a silly symphony theme on the pier area with characters from cartoons that were actually silly symphonies.

mechurchlady
12-14-2009, 01:22 AM
Up
Wall E
Ratatouille
Cars
Incredibles, The
Finding Nemo
Monsters, Inc
Toy Story 2
Bugs Life, A
Toy Story

Two lands, Monsters ride, Toy Story Mania and shop

They are quality pictures that kids like. How many kids would want a Treasure Planet Land? It would be nice to have other movies as rides and shows but I will sit here and take what they give me. Alice has two rides and the Mad Hatter shop. Ariel has a restaurant and a ride (soon). Dumbo has two rides. Pinocchio has a ride and a restaurant. Oh dear, those greedy movies hogging everything, lol.:eyeroll:

petesimac
12-14-2009, 06:29 AM
That's like saying there is too much fantasy at DL or too much magic or too many references to animated film at DL; Pixar is Disney, so no, for me, it's not too much and it could never be too much. Too much pixie dust? Too much fun? Too much Mickey? Bah, never!

IllusionOfLife
12-14-2009, 10:49 AM
What it all boils down to is the fact that while Pixar has made hit after fantastic hit in the past 14 years Disney Animation has slowly but surely been releasing mediocre at best and terrible at worst animated films.

Lets take a look at a few examples:

Disney Animation – Chicken Little, Home on the Range, The Wild

Pixar – WALL•E, Ratatouille, Finding Nemo

Disney has finally managed to re-vitalize itself with Bolt and The Princess and the Frog, but that can, in many ways, be credited to John Lasseter's guiding vision.

Disney should represent quality entertainment and for the last few years their own productions have not. Pixar on the other hand has consistently released brilliant masterpieces of film that are almost always the top reviewed films of the year (according to Rotten Tomatoes).

In my opinion Disney is doing just what they need to by turning to the best to help them get better

wwomant
12-14-2009, 01:26 PM
I have 2 boys. They love all Pixar movies and are very familiar with all the Pixar characters. Before we went to Disneyland last year I had to educate them on the classics by showing them some of the older Disney animated classics like Alice in Wonderland, Dumbo and Pinnochio so that they would have some clue about what was going on with the rides in Fantasy Land. They liked the older movies, but not like they love the Pixars. Today's generation is all about Pixar, kids are growing up on it. Disney has to think about not only today's children and what they connect with, but the future of Disney parks. Someday these kids growing up on Pixar movies are going to be the adults buying the tickets, and Pixar is going to be what makes them feel like a kid again.

soccerlady16
12-14-2009, 10:23 PM
I would LOVE more Silly Symphonies anything!

I agree with the OP.
But then I figure most DL fans now are not really fond of Pixar films because we grew up with Classics.
In 20 years the kids of today will be as fond of DCA as we are of DL.

Rockchalker
12-15-2009, 06:34 AM
I would LOVE more Silly Symphonies anything!

I agree with the OP.
But then I figure most DL fans now are not really fond of Pixar films because we grew up with Classics.
In 20 years the kids of today will be as fond of DCA as we are of DL.

I would say there are DL fans like this, but most is extreme.

IllusionOfLife
12-15-2009, 07:58 AM
I would say there are DL fans like this, but most is extreme.

I would say that most is flat out ridiculous. Yeah the classics were, and are still fantastic. Pinocchio is arguably the best animated film ever made, but Pixar's stuff shows a level of brilliance in both the innovation of technology and the clever storytelling that really hasn't been seen since that time.

I'd wager to say that Pixar's films are closer to the original Disney Classics than most of the stuff from Disney's second golden age. Yes, Aladdin, The Lion King, The Little Mermaid, and Beauty and the Beast were fantastic, but Pocahontas and Hunchback of Notre Dame were just mediocre and lest we forget the abomination of the Direct to DVD sequels.

No, I think most Disney fans, and most film fans in general appreciate and enjoy the constant brilliance of Pixar's movies. If you're honest with yourself, you'll realize that Pixar has never made a bad film and even Walt Disney himself had a few stinkers.

Rockchalker
12-15-2009, 09:08 AM
No, I think most Disney fans, and most film fans in general appreciate and enjoy the constant brilliance of Pixar's movies. If you're honest with yourself, you'll realize that Pixar has never made a bad film and even Walt Disney himself had a few stinkers.

I would go as far to say, that, IMHO, Pixar saved Disney's rein as the King of Animation in the last several years as DreamWorks created movies like Madagascar and Shrek while Disney put out Treasure Planet, Hunchback, Meet the Robinsons, Home on the Range, and The Wild. Again, IMHO, Mulan Brother Bear, Bolt, and just barely IMHO Chicken Little are exceptions.

Bad Pixar movies? Thinking.... Thinking..... Thinking..... Thinking.... Hmmm... Even their short features rock!

Off traffic, Brother Bear probably is my favorite Disney soundtrack.

adriennek
12-15-2009, 10:47 AM
I agree with the OP.

I would say that most is flat out ridiculous. Yeah the classics were, and are still fantastic. Pinocchio is arguably the best animated film ever made, but Pixar's stuff shows a level of brilliance in both the innovation of technology and the clever storytelling that really hasn't been seen since that time.

I'd wager to say that Pixar's films are closer to the original Disney Classics than most of the stuff from Disney's second golden age. Yes, Aladdin, The Lion King, The Little Mermaid, and Beauty and the Beast were fantastic, but Pocahontas and Hunchback of Notre Dame were just mediocre and lest we forget the abomination of the Direct to DVD sequels.

I would go as far to say, that, IMHO, Pixar saved Disney's rein as the King of Animation in the last several years as DreamWorks created movies like Madagascar and Shrek while Disney put out Treasure Planet, Hunchback, Meet the Robinsons, Home on the Range, and The Wild. Again, IMHO, Mulan Brother Bear, Bolt, and just barely IMHO Chicken Little are exceptions.

Totally agreeing with Illusion & Rockchalker.

I think part of the brilliance of Pixar is that they took the inspiration of Walt Disney and took it to the next step.

This isn't an either/or issue - I think it's an and, an evolution. Pixar evolved the right way. They combined the very best in storytelling with the most advanced animation technology. And they got it right. I think it's natural and logical that Disney would capitalize on the success of the Pixar-produced movies. I don't know that I personally know anyone who I consider who appreciates the Classics that does not appreciate the wonderful Pixar productions as well.

Adrienne

princessariel
12-15-2009, 03:29 PM
well, i do agree that pixar is a success but i don't think comparing it to fantasyland is right. sure, fantasyland has a lot of attractions from the classic disney, but thats the point. fantasyland is about fantasy and wonderful stories. you go there to find that sort of stuff. at DCA, you have a pixar thing in every land(almost), theres really no escape.
but then again, maybe disney is trying to have DCA as a more modern park, and disneyland as the old timey classic stuff, which i am fine with. maybe the real reason i'm bugged by this is becuase disney animation studios haven't put out a good movie in years :mad:
oh, and btw, im srry, i didn't mean to say anything controversal :)

olegc
12-15-2009, 05:34 PM

but this is what a forum is for - expressing your ideas and opinions. Glad you posted - even though we disagree (which is OK, actually :) )

mstaft
12-15-2009, 05:44 PM
I can handle all the Pixar in DCA- as long as some California is still left in the park. That aspect is represented by my favorite DCA attraction Soarin' and not too much else.

IllusionOfLife
12-15-2009, 06:48 PM
Maybe the real reason i'm bugged by this is becuase disney animation studios haven't put out a good movie in years :mad:

No worries, controversy is great (so long as everyone can play nice). This forum, admittedly, gets a little dull sometimes. 90% of the threads are similar in nature and I see people posting the same things over and over again. When a thread like this comes around it's exciting to be able to say something new.

As for Disney's movies, I'm not sure if you've seen Bolt, but that and The Princess and the Frog are definitely worth seeing. Not absolute masterpieces, mind you, but still worth the time and money to see.