PDA

View Full Version : Which restaurant for a romantic meal?

Daveylegs
02-06-2003, 04:23 PM
We're taking the kids and grand parents to Disneyland. One night the grand parents are going to take the kids so we can have a romantic dinner. But where to go? We're staying at the Disneyland Hotel but are willing to eat anywhere in the DLR. Any suggestions?

Where could we have the most romantic (and tastiest) meal at DLR?

CarlieB
02-06-2003, 04:30 PM
I really enjoyed our meal at Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen recently.
We ate upstairs on the balcony, and the food and the atmosphere were both top-knotch, and the service was great too.

cstephens
02-06-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Davidscot
We're taking the kids and grand parents to Disneyland. One night the grand parents are going to take the kids so we can have a romantic dinner. But where to go? We're staying at the Disneyland Hotel but are willing to eat anywhere in the DLR. Any suggestions?

Where could we have the most romantic (and tastiest) meal at DLR?

My suggestions would be either Catal Restaurant in Downtown Disney or Napa Rose in the Grand Californian. Both are wonderful restaurants with great atmosphere. Catal is a bit less expensive than Napa, if that's a concern.

I've got reviews and menus up for both restaurants at this location (http://www.colddeadfish.net/dlrdining.html). The menu for Catal was just changed (it changes seasonally), and I haven't had a chance to put up the new one yet, but you can get an idea of what they serve. Napa also has a seasonal menu, and I'll try to check on Sunday to see if they have a new menu yet, but again, the one I have up should give you an idea of what they serve.

Both restaurants take reservations, and I highly recommend having a reservation, no matter what day or time.

Have a great time!

innerSpaceman
02-06-2003, 05:35 PM
C-A-T-A-L

Request a table on the verranda.

rexfarms
02-06-2003, 05:59 PM
I would say Bayou. Request a waterside table.

Laffite
02-06-2003, 06:04 PM
I'm surprised only one person suggested the Bayou! What happened? It used to be near the top of the romantic meal in CA list.

So... I will suggest Bayou. The waterside table is wonderful, but you need at least 3-4 people in your party because the large tables are near the water. If you have only 2 people you'll end up in the corner somewhere.

Not Afraid
02-06-2003, 07:10 PM
Napa Rose, Catal, Brennan's, Bayou - in that order.

Lashbear
02-06-2003, 07:13 PM
I would say the highlights of our trip were the Blue Bayou (waterside table) and the Jazz Kitchen .. also in that order.

Again, make sure you get an upstairs balcony table in the Jazz Kitchen, it's really pretty !

adriennek
02-06-2003, 07:24 PM
#1- Napa Rose.

Catal's good, too, but I think Napa Rose is more romantic.

I've dined at Jazz Kitchen four times. Only once was romantic. Once was very disappointing. Two other times we weren't there for a romantic dinner but if we had been, they would not have been in a romantic atmosphere.

Adrienne K

Not Afraid
02-06-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by adriennek
#1- Napa Rose.
I've dined at Jazz Kitchen four times. Only once was romantic. Once was very disappointing. Two other times we weren't there for a romantic dinner but if we had been, they would not have been in a romantic atmosphere.

Adrienne K

I guess it just depends on how you define romantic. We honeymooned in New Orleans, so, to me, The Jazz Kitchen is perfect. It is fun, it has great food, a wonderful atmosphere and fabulous music.

Of all of the restaurants I mentioned Brennan's has the most character. It stands out among the other fine restaurants on that alone.

tjrj
02-07-2003, 06:12 AM
Today(2/7) on the front page of MP is a great article about romantic dining in DL-so check that out for suggestions.

Napa Rose is a lovely restaurant but we weren't too fond of the food choices available so check out the menus here on MP before you make reservations.

And for us, Bayou by the water is our favorite.

hefferdude
02-07-2003, 06:58 AM
Jazz Kitchen - Upstairs - table by the front overlooking the promanade - 1 hour before DL fireworks ( 8:30ish) - 3 cream brulee and a warm brandy after dinner for desert during the fireworks show. Then coffees to finish.;) Catal - same approach - ( but I don't think its in a good location for the fireworks.)
BBayou - very nice but save it as a special thing to do with your kids and and Grams for a late lunch another day.:D

kisroo
02-07-2003, 09:29 AM
Bayou by the water definately~we never miss this on our trips!;)

cujosr
02-07-2003, 10:39 AM
My suggestion is not to go to the House of blues or Naples. At HOB it is small loud and expensive with very small portions. Naples is a little better the food tasted fairly plain. not much sauce and too much cheese. and no bread before our food arrived. I would go with Napa Rose inside the grand californinan hotel. I haven't been there my self but it was always thought the best by cast members I worked with. Plus it's out of the way from the main road so not many people go there, AKA not crowded! wish you the best of luck where ever you go.

cstephens
02-07-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by tjrj
Napa Rose is a lovely restaurant but we weren't too fond of the food choices available so check out the menus here on MP before you make reservations.

Actually, that won't help. The menu in the DRR is almost two years old, and Napa Rose changes their menu on a quarterly basis. I've been trying to keep up with their menus, but they should have recently come out with the winter menu, so the menu on my site (http://colddeadfish.net/napamenu.html) is probably even out of date for another couple weeks, until I have a chance to update it.

Your point is true though - Napa Rose tends to have a fairly eclectic menu and is not really well suited for the non-very-adventurous.

Daveylegs
02-10-2003, 05:07 PM
I think based on your recommendations, the Napa Rose sounds like it may be best for us. We'll take the family to the Blue Bayou but save the romantic evening for Napa Rose. We're both pretty adventerous when it comes to food so this may be right up our alley!

Now, one more thing: Has anyone tried the price fixe menu? I'm wondering if we should go all out and do that or just order from the regular menu.

tabacco
02-10-2003, 05:21 PM
The trouble with the Bayou is that it can be quite noisy, which isn't neccesarily what you want in a romantic dinner. I'd say Napa Rose or Catal (which I've never eaten at, but I've heard is terrific).

Just out of curiosity, what kind of food do you prefer? That might help narrow things down a bit.

Updated: Well, I just noticed that you already replied, and it sounds like you've got a pretty good plan set already. That'll teach me to read before I post :)

Not Afraid
02-10-2003, 06:15 PM
I think based on your recommendations, the Napa Rose sounds like it may be best for us. We'll take the family to the Blue Bayou but save the romantic evening for Napa Rose. We're both pretty adventerous when it comes to food so this may be right up our alley!

Now, one more thing: Has anyone tried the price fixe menu? I'm wondering if we should go all out and do that or just order from the regular menu.

Ummmmmmm Napa Rose! Good choice. An adventerous eater will be in absolute heaven there.

I've eaten both price fixe and off the menu and spent almost the same amount of money. The price fixe meal was about $69. There is also a Vinter's Choice wich includes a carefully selected wine to go with each course - of more money of course. Our meal was 4 courses with a surprise appetizer to start and was delicious.

Have fun and tell us all about it. I need to eat vicariously at the moment.

DisneyFan25863
02-10-2003, 06:18 PM
If you have a few thousand $$$$ and a few years to wait, you can always join Club 33 and then eat there;) :D

Tigertail777
02-11-2003, 01:29 AM
For pure Romantic/magical ambience you cant go wrong with Blue Bayou. And the food is pretty darn good too!

cstephens
02-11-2003, 05:47 AM

I think it depends on what's on the Vintner's Table (presuming that's what you mean by the price fixe menu) for that day. and whether it meets your preferences. The menu changes weekly (on Thursday). I've gone into Napa Rose on nights when I know I'm not eating there just to see what's on the Vintner's Table menu. Some nights, I'm really disappointed I won't be having dinner there because the menu looks great. Some nights, I'm not as disappointed because the menu doesn't look that great to me. You might also want to take into account your eating habits. It's a four course meal, usually with an extra appetizer, and it ends up being quite a bit of food. I have some friends who wouldn't enjoy the Vintner's Table either because they wouldn't like the selections or because they wouldn't be able to finish all of the courses. I'd say have a look at that night's selections when you get there and decide then.

In case you're interested, I have a review up from one of our meals at Napa Rose, when we both had the Vintner's Table offerings. Click here for the review. (http://www.colddeadfish.net/napa041402.html) I picked up the new menu on Sunday, so I'll have that up in the next week or so. This is the Winter 2003 menu and should be available until late March/early April. FYI, here's the Vintner's Table offerings this week, with the available wine pairing in brackets:

Olive Oil Poached Shrimp with a Potato Nicoise Salad and Lemon-Caper Vinaigrette
[Domaine Sorin, Dry Rose, Cote du Provence 2001]

Terrine of Foie Gras with Toasted Brioche and Citrus Ruby Port Reduction
[Freemark Abbey, "Edelwein Gold" Late Harvest Riesling, Napa Valley 1999]

Grilled Lamb Chops with Smoked Tomato Risotto and Woodland Mushroom-Cabernet Jus
[Ferrari-Carano, Merlot, Sonoma County 1999]

Hawaiian Passion Fruit & White Chocolate "Ice" with Raspberry Essence
[Bonny Doon, "Book of Love" Framboise, Raspberry Wine, Santa Cruz Mountains NV]

Oh, and while we've always had good service at Napa Rose, there is a particular waiter there that we're acquainted with who is quite good. We had become familiar with him from another restaurant at the resort. If you'd like, I can PM you his name, and you can request him when you make your reservation, though that's not a guarantee that you'll get him. We usually go on Sunday night, so that's when we see him, but I don't know his schedule.