PDA

View Full Version : Candlelight Processional 2009 News and Reviews

THpoohbear
12-05-2009, 01:09 PM
I don't have any yet... but want to hear about tonight's performance. Are you there waiting on the curb? How is crowd control & the wait for standing room being handled? Those of us going to the Sunday performances want to know. :D

DisneyFunFamily4
12-05-2009, 02:19 PM
we just left the park and there are not to many people camping out yet... DL is pretty crowded...

the S factor
12-05-2009, 08:50 PM
I don't have any yet... but want to hear about tonight's performance. Are you there waiting on the curb? How is crowd control & the wait for standing room being handled? Those of us going to the Sunday performances want to know. :D

It was great! Such a good time! Crowd control seemed good, but I got there for the 5 30 performance by 3 30 and I was by myself, so I was able to slip right in by Great Moments with Mr Lincoln. Traffic on Main street went in a big circle- you could only go one way. I didn't see a wait for standing room, but who knows what happened later on closer to the start time. We had a great crowd around us and everyone was in a good mood, talking, laughing and comparing stories. Interestingly enough, 1/3 of the rows weren't filled by 5:25 so they started seating those of us nearby. I can honestly say there were about 75 people who were seated that way, just on our side. Quite a bit! I opted to stand right at the curb as I am a shorter person and where I was standing I had an excellent view. :D. John Voight was wonderful! he opened up the show by stating many secular people are trying to take Christmas from us and we are very fortunate to live in a country where we can still celebrate and need to continue to fight for that right. That drew a loud round of applause. The show was good and John read well. At the end he congratulated the choirs, the techs, the conductor, singers, soloists,he was really very gracious and appreciative of their talents and being very modest about his own role in the production. He then looked toward Heaven and started talking to his mom, telling her how proud he was to be there, and telling her to tell Walt Happy Birthday. He told us what a wonderful legacy Walt had left and what a great day to celebrate both Walt's birthday and the season. He then ended by saying celebrate with your own traditions and remember, it's Merry Christmas!!
This is my 5th Candlelight and he made it one of the best.
When I left, I had to make my way around the circle to exit, but all in all it only took about 10 minutes.
I am so happy I went... can you tell?

tHeDiSnEyKiD
12-06-2009, 12:28 AM
Voight was great and real humble to be there. I met him before the show and he was as gracious as ever.

Although it was the same show as years past, it felt tired and boring this time around. Maybe they should really start considering changing it up and doing different performances during the show because if you've been there before you know exactly what's coming next. I'm sure they can make the show different each year and make it interesting. It's still a classic though, but now I know that if they don't change the show around for next year, there's no point in actually paying to see this or seeing it more than once.

The funny part was seeing how many empty chairs there were to start. So what ended up happening was the Disney hostesses were walking up to random people and offering free tickets for the show AND the 8pm one as well. They picked out a lot of people, including me but I ended up turning down the 8pm tickets. I couldn't sit through the show again.

I'm sure Sunday will be packed even more with all the So Cal passholders going. You can easily get there around 3-4 and slip in under the rope and have a perfect view of everything, so I don't know why people feel like they have to get there at 12 or before. That's just insane.

oregontraveler
12-06-2009, 12:51 AM
It looks like the $275 package deal was a bust then with all those empty seats.

mre200200
12-06-2009, 01:39 AM
It was a really great night. It was crowded like usual, but I think the Disney Cast was able to handle it well.

I took a few photos and posted them here

2009 Disneyland Candlelight Processional (https://sites.google.com/site/2009disneylandcandlelight/)

These are only the first half. I'll get the rest done tomorrow. Enjoy!

Malcon10t
12-06-2009, 07:47 AM
Actually, last night was for Club 33 and special guests. D23 is tonight.

The Red Head
12-06-2009, 08:32 AM
Actually, last night was for Club 33 and special guests. D23 is tonight.

Club 33 has seating for both nights.

Mistyj
12-06-2009, 09:14 AM
My experience was similar to S Factor's... My family and I arrived around 4 PM and we were able to easily grab a spot on the curb in the area between the curb and fenced in grass in front of Mr. Lincoln / Hat shop. What I appreciated was the way they choose the people to seat. They took the people on the ropes, which implied to me they had been waiting the longest. It seemed a fair way to do it.

houseofmouse
12-06-2009, 09:20 AM

2009 Disneyland Candlelight Processional (https://sites.google.com/site/2009disneylandcandlelight/)

Your pictures are wonderful and what great crisp color. Thanks for sharing!

currence
12-06-2009, 09:32 AM
They seemed to have more issues for the second show, from what very little I saw.

We arrived a bit after 7pm, and they were starting to allow the standby/standing people to take their spaces, and from what little I could tell/hear they had a line somewhere that they were feeding from. This is good to the extent that it allowed people willing to wait the longest to get the better views. But as a person arriving at that time it created a bottleneck of people who wanted to join the line to see the show and people (like us) who just wanted to get into the park.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that we just arrived at the very worst time, and once they filled the spaces with their preexisting and orderly line (or not) the bottleneck went away. I really wanted to sneak back after the show started and catch a glimpse of the narrator, but with two little kids and a stroller it just didn't seem like a good idea. Maybe we'll plan to go again next year. We did the dinner package last year and enjoyed not having the stress of cramped space with little kids (though the stress of the online ordering over multiple nights was a completely different issue)

mre200200
12-06-2009, 12:18 PM
Here's my review of 2009 Candlelight Processional

I arrived at the park on Saturday around 11am. Already all the bench seating was taken. I overheard a cast member saying that the policy for holding seats was that each person can only hold one seat. So for a party of 2, one person must stay there to hold a seat. For a party of 3, two people must stay, etc.

On the right side of the hub, near City Hall, people started lining up in the streets a little before 3pm. Lots of people laying down blankets.
On the left side of the hub, near Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, people had to wait until the 3:30 parade moved out of the area before they could start camping in the streets.

Around 4pm, Jon Voight came out and did a quick rehearsal. Walking up to the podium and getting familiar with the stage. Afterwards he came down to the right side of the hub and walked the entire length around the roped off area, greeting, shaking hands, and taking photos with all the people who had been waiting. Everyone in my area commented how this was a nice of him.

The Candlelight processional started at 5:30 with the cast member choir and the rest of the choirs moving down Main Street. They slowly filled in areas on stage. Jon Voight read the Christmas Story from the book of Luke.

It was a really great program. Seeing the trumpeters on the top of Main Street Railway was awesome!

Jon Voight ended the night thanking the choir, conductor, and everyone else who put the program together. Finally he pointed up to Heaven and thanked his mother. He asked her to say "Hi" to Walt, and to thank him for all of this, and to also wish him a Happy Birthday.

This ended the first performance. Afterwards, cast members cleared out the entire hub area including the benches and the streets. They started a line extending down Main Street towards the castle for people who wanted to see the second show. Around 7:20pm they started letting people back in to the section, first to the benches, and then to the streets.

They started the 2nd show at 8pm. Nothing significant was different between the two shows.

Here are my photos from the entire Candlelight Processional. (https://sites.google.com/site/2009disneylandcandlelight/)

Also, if you have friends or family who were up on stage, let me know and I can look through my photos and see if I can find them for you.

houseofmouse
12-06-2009, 12:27 PM
Those new pics have Jon Stamos, isn't that last years?

quackinup
12-06-2009, 12:30 PM
Those new pics have Jon Stamos, isn't that last years?

Click on the top link, I think the lower link has pictures from past ones.

mre200200
12-06-2009, 01:04 PM
Click on the top link, I think the lower link has pictures from past ones.

Ah, good catch. I didn't even notice the link in my signature. I've updated it. Thanks.

TowerofTerror
12-06-2009, 03:26 PM
Thanks for sharing the reports . I avoided main street until I left the park at 730pm the side of coke corner was the way to leave the park and the other side was for incoming guests. The way they did the crowd was perfect.

Rockchalker
12-10-2009, 01:31 PM
It was a really great night. It was crowded like usual, but I think the Disney Cast was able to handle it well.

Your pictures are incredible! I saw my father in the picture with the chairs. He is standing next to the guy in the gray sweatshirt behind and to the left of Jon Voight.

I was at the locker when Jon Voight came by. :crying: He actually squatted down to talk with my 7 and 3 year old. My mom chatted with him too and told him that I cried and cried when he died in The Champ.

My favorite part of the processional again this year was the singing of Silent Night in German accompanied only by a guitar. (It has to do with the history of the song.) Gives me a goose bumps every time.

mre200200
12-10-2009, 10:07 PM
You wouldn't happen to recognize anyone in this photo would you?
http://sites.google.com/site/2009disneylandcandlelight/Voight-1.jpg

I thought it was wonderful that Jon Voight came out and talked to the crowd. He walked the entire rope on the City Hall side shaking hands and taking photos with people.
http://sites.google.com/site/2009disneylandcandlelight/Voight-2.jpg
http://sites.google.com/site/2009disneylandcandlelight/Voight-3.jpg
http://sites.google.com/site/2009disneylandcandlelight/Voight-4.jpg

Your pictures are incredible! I saw my father in the picture with the chairs. He is standing next to the guy in the gray sweatshirt behind and to the left of Jon Voight.

I was at the locker when Jon Voight came by. :crying: He actually squatted down to talk with my 7 and 3 year old. My mom chatted with him too and told him that I cried and cried when he died in The Champ.

My favorite part of the processional again this year was the singing of Silent Night in German accompanied only by a guitar. (It has to do with the history of the song.) Gives me a goose bumps every time.

Rockchalker
12-11-2009, 06:29 AM
You wouldn't happen to recognize anyone in this photo would you?
http://sites.google.com/site/2009disneylandcandlelight/Voight-1.jpg

:D

My mom (sitting) and kids!

I forgot to mention that the worst part of the processional was this small child that would not sit still, whined and kept moving the chairs.... my son. :)

mre200200
12-11-2009, 10:38 AM
Nice! Here's a shot from just before that with Mr Voight talking to your daughter.

http://sites.google.com/site/2009disneylandcandlelight/Crowd-1.jpg

:D

My mom (sitting) and kids!

I forgot to mention that the worst part of the processional was this small child that would not sit still, whined and kept moving the chairs.... my son. :)

Rockchalker
12-11-2009, 11:21 AM
Thank you! This makes my day since I missed it! :(