PDA

View Full Version : Matterhorn for chickens

Tyr
02-05-2003, 07:09 PM
I haven't been to Disneyland in a million years and I have a really dumb question but I'm hoping some of you experts can help!

Are there any big drops on the Matterhorn? I am such a chicken but I love Big Thunder Mountain (no drops!)

Thanks for answering what might be an obvious question!

-Bev

Matterhorn Fan
02-05-2003, 07:26 PM
The drops on Big Thunder are much, much longer. If you're OK on BTM, you should be fine on the Matterhorn (if it ever reopens).

Not Afraid
02-05-2003, 07:30 PM
Hold on there Mr. Chicken!

BT has some nice tummy-shifting drops! (Especially the last one on the second rise.)

If you can handle that, you can handle the Matterhorn.

Tyr
02-05-2003, 07:33 PM
Is Big Thunder Mountain at Disneyland different from the one at WDW because while there are twists and turns, there aren't the kind of stomach lurching drops that I mean.

I haven't been to Disneyland in about 10 years so I can't really remember BT there.

Matterhorn Fan
02-05-2003, 07:41 PM
You'll be fine on both. My very reliable source has informed me that the track of BTM at WDW is a mirror image of the one at DL.

innerSpaceman
02-05-2003, 07:46 PM
Um, the track on BTMRR at DisneyWorld is entirely different from the one at DL.

That being said, both are extremely tame coasters - and the Matterhorn is much tamer than either of them.

Ace
02-05-2003, 08:01 PM
If you don't like sudden drops, go on the right side of the Matterhorn. At one section the two tracks are next to each other and the left track dives sharply under the right track, which goes across (I forget the name) bridge. But otherwise, it's a pretty tame ride.

HTHBellcaptain
02-05-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
Um, the track on BTMRR at DisneyWorld is entirely different from the one at DL.

I'm afraid Matterhorn Fan is correct. The WDW and DL versions of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad are mirror images of each other. I worked at WDW's BTM for 5 years. The track in Florida has a couple of different show scenes along the way, but the track layout does mirror DL's.

There are a few minor changes. The WDW track goes out over a small portion of the Rivers of America. The DL track is just a little bit shorter, but not much.

As far as show scenes go, DL has Rainbow Ridge as it's final show scene. WDW has the guisers for its last scene. WDW has the flash flood scene with the guy in the bathtub and the rainmaker.

The Big Thunder Mountain in Disneyland Paris is a completely different track layout than DL or WDW.

I hope this helped.

The Great Dunn
02-06-2003, 01:52 AM
The left track has Dolly's Dip, which you can see when standing in front of the submarine lagoon. The Track dips down under a wooden foot bridge.
A former CM told me the story of Dolly's dip, then I read about it in Mouse Tales.
The Moral of the story is "DON"T UNBUCKLE YOUR SEATBELT" :eek:

Minnie1955
02-06-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Tyr
Is Big Thunder Mountain at Disneyland different from the one at WDW because while there are twists and turns, there aren't the kind of stomach lurching drops that I mean.

I haven't been to Disneyland in about 10 years so I can't really remember BT there.

I'm not a fan of huge drops either... but no there are no stomach lurching drops on Matterhorn. There are some sharp turns a few sudden dips, but no big drops like what you'd find on Splash. It's a fun ride, you'll be okay on it, don't worry :) But yeah, the right side is a little more tame and smoother than the left.

Disneyfreak
03-06-2003, 07:07 PM
The left side rules. The right side is a little too boring for me.

Durliin
03-06-2003, 08:26 PM
Thunder in WDW and Disneyland are mirror image I went on it in Janruary and was naming off all the areas Like park brake Alift Saftey 1,2,3 BZ4 and whatnot just the scenes are diffrent... anyhoo stay on the Fantasylandside of the matterhorn no Drops...the Tomorrowland side only has one little one...

Morrigoon
03-07-2003, 12:08 AM
Dolly's Drop is really just a dip. You dip quickly, but only low enough that the other track can continue straight ahead (so like 1 story). Try the right side, and if you like that, try the left side. But there aren't any significant "drops" by roller coaster standards. I think Gadget's Go-Coaster has bigger drops than the Matterhorn, the Matterhorn's just longer and better themed (therefore, more fun!)