PDA

View Full Version : Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln

Pages : [1] 2

disney_leonard
12-01-2009, 09:14 PM
Any current info. on when Abe will return? I had heard Dec. 16 but now the scedule shows maybe the 17th.

GrumpyGoofyGuy
12-01-2009, 09:59 PM
I'm hoping they will do a soft opening since we'll only be there through the 13th.

Wendi
12-01-2009, 10:52 PM
I'd love a soft opening too... we'll be there the 14th-16th.

Darkbeer
12-04-2009, 11:23 AM
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/great-222241-lincoln-moments.html?graphics=1#graphics1

Disney officials say that the Mr. Lincoln animatronic figure will star in a new show, “The Disneyland Story Featuring Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln,” which may begin Dec. 18.

Great job by Adam Townsend!

danyoung
12-04-2009, 01:35 PM
From what I've read, he's going to have much more electronic controls and less hydraulic ones. I've seen a demo of his new facial movements, and it really looks cool - can't wait!

kijay
12-05-2009, 05:50 PM
Gonna be there the 9th thru 11th. Any chance there might be some soft openings?

AVP
12-06-2009, 07:56 AM
Just a reminder, the lobby of the Main Street Opera House closes Monday for the final phase of construction, and will reopen on the 16th. The Disney Gallery will still be accessible during this time.

AVP

mechurchlady
12-06-2009, 02:18 PM
I have one Christmas trip with mom and hope to see Mr. Lincoln with Mom. She loved the show back when I was a kid so this will be a special treat for her.
Thanks for the tip, AVP.

TowerofTerror
12-06-2009, 10:26 PM
I love the Great Moments with Mr Lincoln and cant wait to see it again

kfreak
12-08-2009, 05:06 PM
I have never actually seen the show before, and cant wait to go see it. I know my fiancee and I will have a great time watching it.

mechurchlady
12-08-2009, 05:52 PM
I have seen both versions. I liked the technical stuff added like the fly buzzing in the ear. However I prefer the old version better as I was there to be entertained by Mr. Lincoln without diversions that took away from the meaning of the show.

I cancelled my Saturday trip so one trip this month on Christmas Day. I so want to see the show.

potzbie
12-08-2009, 07:50 PM
I liked the technical stuff added like the fly buzzing in the ear.

I didn't!
The buzzing was a distraction, and a gimmick.
The breaking of the glass negative by the photographic assistant, likewise.

And the original didn't have headphone sets for the audience.
And I think I'd like to hear "The Man" talk from his stage, with the speakers' stereo spread matching the turning of the head left/right as Mr. Lincoln addresses the audience.
That, in my opinion, doubles the realism.

Are there any Imagineers in the MousePlanet audience listening?

danyoung
12-09-2009, 04:21 AM
I liked the technical stuff added like the fly buzzing in the ear. However I prefer the old version better as I was there to be entertained by Mr. Lincoln without diversions that took away from the meaning of the show.

I completely agree. The tech was cool, but it was out of place for this show.

cstephens
12-09-2009, 10:27 AM
I hated the buzzing fly, the haircut and lopping my leg off.

The whole headphones idea was stupid - hello, the point was that Mr. Lincoln looked and acted totally real as an audio-animatronic. Having him talk to you while you have headphones on completely defeated the purpose. I'm glad they're doing away with the headphones when the show returns.

disney_leonard
12-09-2009, 01:51 PM
I hated the buzzing fly, the haircut and lopping my leg off.

The whole headphones idea was stupid - hello, the point was that Mr. Lincoln looked and acted totally real as an audio-animatronic. Having him talk to you while you have headphones on completely defeated the purpose. I'm glad they're doing away with the headphones when the show returns.

This is a case where Imagineers came up with a great technological advance. But it went too far. A new animatronic figure that is more lifelike? Absolutely! The story change was too extreme and the whiz bang technology should be used for a new attraction. It would be like having Abe take a call on his cell phone. Cute? Sure. Appropriate? No.

BlkPearlCptn
12-09-2009, 06:08 PM
*cringing and raising a hand* Ok, I actually LOVED the whole fly buzzing, haircutting part of the show.

danyoung
12-10-2009, 06:12 AM
WHAAAAA??? How could you be so small minded and you shouldn't be allowed to have children and I can't believe you know how to use a computer and and and . . . .

Sorry, just kidding! ;) Some people like some stuff, while others don't. That's what makes discussion forums so interesting!

Phil Johnson
12-10-2009, 07:25 AM
I thought the technology was cool too. And I'm sure it will pop up in another attraction soon enough. But the headphones were distracting.

I just imagined that Abe was speaking a different language and I was wearing translator headphones. Self-delusion works every time. :)

dznyphreak
12-10-2009, 11:16 AM
To be honest, the haircut was really the only reason my friends and I ever went to GMwML. The story wasn't exactly enthralling, but I have limitless faith in Tony Baxter and am sure the new show will be great. Maybe they'll find a better, more appropriate use of the binaural technology elsewhere in the future, or maybe they decided it was an old worn-out kitschy piece of technology that has seen its time and needs to be retired. I'm happy either way.

potzbie
12-16-2009, 12:29 PM
... the lobby of the Main Street Opera House closes Monday for the final phase of construction, and will reopen on the 16th.

Ooh! Ooh! Ooh!
Today is December 16th! :)

(bump bump bump bump!!!!) :p

kfreak
12-16-2009, 03:05 PM
Will be there the 9th, so def gonna check it out. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sierranevada
12-16-2009, 03:21 PM
Ooh! Ooh! Ooh!
Today is December 16th! :)

(bump bump bump bump!!!!) :p

Just tried to go there and was told not today, maybe tomorrow. CM said there has been some delays in the projected opening. Bummer cuz we leave tomorrow. :(

Andrew
12-16-2009, 04:01 PM
The OC Register is reporting (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=137502) Friday for the reopening.

KarenW2
12-16-2009, 04:21 PM
Great Moments was one of my all-time favorite shows from the old days and I was sad when they changed it, to add the new stuff that was basically ideas based on the technology from the "Sounds Dangerous" show, running at WDW at the time. It was totally out of place in GM and I'm glad to hear the new version will not be having this aspect.

When we were at the D23 Expo, we talked to the imagineers that were at the Lincoln display and it looked really good, so we can't wait to see it.

The other great thing is that they'll be using the original Royal Dano soundtrack, so he'll sound like he did before.

potzbie
12-17-2009, 01:54 AM
Yes!
Read the Sarah Tully additional article (Orange County Register, 12/16/09, 7:00 p.m.).

He burrows his eyebrows, making him look stern. His cheeks puff out and flutter. His lips curl to make "o" and "s" sounds.

and

Disney creators wanted the new animatronic Lincoln so precise that they could watch the show without sound and read his lips.

Wow!