PDA

View Full Version : Real Snow at Disneyland?

mowsluver
11-29-2009, 06:56 PM
Has DL ever or WOULD they ever use snow machines to make 'real' snow? It seems that it wouldn't be enough to be a safety issue (slipping, etc) and would just be awesome--even if you are wearing a t-shirt!!
Have they ever done it?

Seems to me that it would be worth the cost...REAL snow at DL!!

mom2girls
11-30-2009, 06:48 AM
LOL I was just wondering was the snow was made of being from Canada I have never seen anything but the real stuff kinda looking forward to the warm weather kind of white :fez: Guess I will see it in a WEEK for myself ...

3Princesses1Prince
11-30-2009, 06:57 AM
It's bubbles

stan4d_steph
11-30-2009, 07:02 AM
The air would have to be cold enough to prevent the snow from melting before it hit the ground, which is pretty rare in the Anaheim area. Creating a big pile of snow would probably be more likely.

Drince88
11-30-2009, 08:22 AM
The air would have to be cold enough to prevent the snow from melting before it hit the ground, which is pretty rare in the Anaheim area. Creating a big pile of snow would probably be more likely.

I recall going to Sea World in San Diego many years ago with my brother and his two oldest (mom and the newborn stayed home to rest!) - and they had a big hill set up for 'sledding'. EVERYONE who did more than one run ended up soaked because it was so wet, and it was basically just a pile of ice.

I don't think real snow machines make 'snow' as much as ice, and it would likely not feel real good falling on you -if it didn't turn too quickly to rain.

Darkbeer
11-30-2009, 12:52 PM
Universal Studios Hollywood made "Real" snow last year.

(That being taking big blocks of ice, shaving them and shooting the shavings in the air). I presume they will do the same this year.

I also remember the Snow Hill at SeaWorld San Diego over a decade ago, same basic process.

mowsluver
11-30-2009, 07:38 PM
Maybe in the early hours it wouldn't be cold but it gets cold enough in the evening for 'real snow'.
It would disappear as soon as it hit the ground but I believe it would make it all the way down...

mom2girls
12-01-2009, 06:33 AM
Maybe in the early hours it wouldn't be cold but it gets cold enough in the evening for 'real snow'.
It would disappear as soon as it hit the ground but I believe it would make it all the way down...

Really? It gets bellow 32 in Anaheim! That has to be a pretty rare occurence or perhaps I am a schmuck and you are just meaning you freeze to death during parades and such LOL :) I am thinking by the projected temps next week I will be in my shorts and t-shirts and oh so toasty warm man alive I may never leave. Hear I sit in three layers with my HUGE tea freezing for real LOL. California here I come!

bennette
12-01-2009, 07:43 AM
Mid forties is more common.

But we do drop into the thirties occasionally in the winter.

But maybe the poster did mean for parades. :) I know I don't go in the winter without a hat, gloves, and long underwear. (Southern California spoiled weather baby!)

candles71
12-01-2009, 08:22 AM
The ski resorts in my area can't even start making snow until they get some snow. We had an early snowfall in the beginning of October that the resorts got the machines out and ran test runs knowing it would melt.

VickiC
12-02-2009, 07:47 AM
We rarely dip below 32 here, sometimes in the very early morning hours it is cold enough for a very light frost to form on the grass.

As for wearing shorts, I'm wearing them today but I will put a jacket on before heading to swim practice tonight, because walking about in the sunny day time is one thing, but sitting still watching my kids swim after dark is quite another, and the same goes for sitting and watching a parade or other outdoor show at DL. It can get cold.

mom2girls
12-02-2009, 08:44 AM
Well we leave tomorow and I can't wait for your kind of cold :fez: I went for my morning walk this morning at -2 sorry hubby isn't here to transfer that to your temp but it is darn cold (though by the rest of Canada it is very warm LOL) thick frost, very icey roads ect. Bring on the California cold! Not sure how I will sleep tonight but I will apreciate my cold morning walk tomorow all the more I assure you all!

VickiC
12-02-2009, 08:57 AM
45 degrees or so during the parade or fireworks with a little wind blowing calls for a jacket in my book. Not gloves or a scarf, but definitely a jacket. Most folks around here think I have a high cold tolerance because I wear shorts down into the 60's.

Bob Weaver
12-03-2009, 07:16 PM
If the air temperature is 30 degrees, snowmaking machines can work if the humidity is 30 percent or lower. If the temperature is 20 degrees, the machines make snow no matter what the humidity is. Temperatures between 10 and 20 are ideal for snowmaking machines. Obviously temperatures in those ranges are extremely rare in Anaheim, thus it became an orange-growing area as oranges and most citrus are tropical in origin and sensitive to cold. On average it rarely gets below 45 at Anaheim, although there are some rare exceptions. So Anaheim is a poor location for snowmaking.

Wildwill
12-03-2009, 09:39 PM
I've spent parts of the last several years in Utah every December. The fact that we "make" snow in California is hilarious.

AZCardsGirl
12-08-2009, 12:40 PM
I grew up 4 miles from Disneyland and it snowed - real snow - around 1970ish. Have the photos around my house somewhere. Covered the streets and roof and lawn for about an hour.

As far as Disneyland goes, I have this memory that the park brought in REAL snow as a publicity thing when the Matterhorn opened. All of us kids were thrilled. But to be honest, I wonder if it really happened or if it's something we kids dreamed up.

Hmmm....

Matterhorn Yodeler
12-08-2009, 09:56 PM
On average it rarely gets below 45 at Anaheim, although there are some rare exceptions.

Get out the snow making machines tonight. It's supposed to be a cold one!

Brrrrrrrrrr!

(with apologies to our fellow MP'ers from the "Great White North" :))

Chadsgal
12-09-2009, 09:31 PM
For a Christmas special they turned Main Street into a ice rink & Mickey & Minnie skated down it. But that is the only time I've heard of there being any real Ice/snow in Disneyland.

disneylandkitty
12-09-2009, 09:46 PM
it feels like it is going to snow.

HobbitFeet
12-10-2009, 01:14 PM
My mom and stepdad used to live in Miami, in the Disney-started Country Walk Estates (the place that Hurricane Andrew decimated b/c the builders used finish nails on the houses instead of proper nails). It was such a cutie little place, with turtle crossing signs all over...

One xmastime, they actually brought in a big hill of snow (obviously manufactured from ice, since I don't think there are snowy places close enough for it to be trucked in from somewhere) for kids to play on. In Miami. Lasted a few days, actually! Not proper crunchy snow, but still kinda neat.

But I can't really see that being something for Disneyland to do...and blown snow would need the air to be colder...

Klutch
12-10-2009, 01:43 PM
Even if the air temperature is 32 or below, the ground is going to stay warm for awhile. Thus, if you throw snow on the ground, it will quickly melt. (Or, as we say in Colorado, "It won't stick".) It depends on the air temperature and wind, but it typically must be below 32 for a couple of days to get the ground cold enough to make snow stick.

The snow making machines used by ski resorts actually do make snow. It's not ice. As I recall, the man-made snow tends to be more slick and can allow downhill racers to go faster. Recreational skiiers tend to prefer the natural, powdery stuff.

You can see lots of real snow where I live. But be prepared. The temperature was 13 below zero when I got up yesterday. (I can hear the Canadians saying, "Minus thirteen? Why, that's downright balmy!".)

danyoung
12-11-2009, 06:39 AM
It depends on the air temperature and wind, but it typically must be below 32 for a couple of days to get the ground cold enough to make snow stick.

We had just this phenomenon here in Dallas last week. Even though there was no build-up (no "stick"), it was still incredibly cool to walk out of my house and
be greeted with some pretty serious snow flurries! Of course, about half of the population of Dallas stayed home that day, as they were terrified of driving through those little white flakes!

Darkbeer
12-11-2009, 07:09 AM
Food Network's Dinner:Impossible had a great episode this week...

Sonoma County's Boys and Girls Club got a very special gift, as Food Network had a special event, including "snow"..

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20090910/news/909109949?Title=Celebrity-chefs-get-cooking-in-Santa-Rosa

Totally off-topic, but part of the link....

Closer to home, Fieri, with partner Steve Gruber, is the brains behind Johnny Garlic’s, first opened in 1996, and Tex Wasabi’s Rock’n’Roll Sushi-BBQ in Santa Rosa, Windsor and the Sacramento area.

The Tex Wasabi’s restaurant in downtown Santa Rosa recently closed. A notice on the company’s Web site said it was shut down for remodeling until late September.

But if you get a chance to see the episode, it is great fun (even though it is clearly pre-arranged), shaved ice (aka snow) including the ending.

mommyof4
12-11-2009, 11:19 AM
Well we leave tomorow and I can't wait for your kind of cold :fez: I went for my morning walk this morning at -2 sorry hubby isn't here to transfer that to your temp but it is darn cold (though by the rest of Canada it is very warm LOL) thick frost, very icey roads ect. Bring on the California cold! Not sure how I will sleep tonight but I will apreciate my cold morning walk tomorow all the more I assure you all!
that is very warm compared to alberta lol, todayit is -16 and on saturday we are supposed to be a high of -38 lol it is crazy