PDA

View Full Version : Rude cast members, snotty Grand California Employee

Pages : [1] 2 3

yazooo
11-29-2009, 09:52 AM
My family and I were on our way to Cal Adventure yesterday, through the Grand Californian entrance. Only to discover yesterday was a black out day for Deluxe passes. In any case the cast member, rudely told us it was a blackout day. I don't think I have ever been so rudely treated in my life by her terseness, body language, and overall demeanor. So much so Im questioning even renewing our AP's next year.

I always wonder why the folks at the parking lot don't just tell you, you don't have access to the park today. Instead of having to lug your family through the long walk to the entrance, only to find out you cant get in.

AVP
11-29-2009, 09:55 AM
I always wonder why the folks at the parking lot don't just tell you, you don't have access to the park today.They should, especially since your parking pass isn't valid on your blockout dates. You should have been charged parking.

AVP

bennette
11-29-2009, 09:57 AM
I'm sorry you had a bad experience with a Cast Member. You might consider leaving a message with Guest Services.

I'm not sure how the staff at the parking lot would have known what to tell you? You could have been here solely to visit DTD or you could have been planning to purchase one-day tickets that are available especially for AP holders who want to visit on a blackout day.

And respectfully, there is an AP calendar easily available to tell you which days are blackout days for your pass type.

Malcon10t
11-29-2009, 11:21 AM
I'm sorry you had a bad experience with a Cast Member. You might consider leaving a message with Guest Services.

I'm not sure how the staff at the parking lot would have known what to tell you? You could have been here solely to visit DTD or you could have been planning to purchase one-day tickets that are available especially for AP holders who want to visit on a blackout day.

And respectfully, there is an AP calendar easily available to tell you which days are blackout days for your pass type.I have to agree with Bennette. Most people paying for parking at the parking lots are coming in with regular tickets. The amount of time it would take to tell each car "BTW - SoCal passes are blocked today" or "All Socal and Deluxe passes are blocked today" wouldn't be cost effective.

I am sorry you feel they were rude to you, I would write to Guest Services about the situation. Did they direct you to where you could buy a block out ticket? Did you know you can find the block out dates online? I don't remember the last time the Thanksgiving weekend was open to Deluxe APs (well, Sunday always is, but not Thurs-Sat.)

Plus, if you go to the Park Update here on Mouseplanet and scroll to the bottom, it tells you the upcoming block out dates for the various passes.

ibob52
11-29-2009, 12:03 PM
For me if I had ... my Day at Disneyland refused at the gate ... there would have been disappointment ... no matter how it was handled ... :(

DizneyMommy
11-29-2009, 12:15 PM
Actually, they are supposed to swipe your pass at the parking garage. They do have the ability to see if it is a valid pass and not a b/o day. I know they've been doing this because a couple of times they've swiped it and then told me someone used my pass to enter the park already, but it was some weird glitch because the park hadn't even opened yet. They also use this to track if you've already used the pass to park and if you re-enter you have to show your receipt to prevent sharing of the parking pass.

Malcon10t
11-29-2009, 12:51 PM
For me if I had ... my Day at Disneyland refused at the gate ... there would have been disappointment ... no matter how it was handled ... :(But what if your day was refused because you hadn't paid for that day. Yes, there would be disappintment, but whose fault is it.

Actually, they are supposed to swipe your pass at the parking garage.Even if you don't have parking?

cstephens
11-29-2009, 01:06 PM
My family and I were on our way to Cal Adventure yesterday, through the Grand Californian entrance. Only to discover yesterday was a black out day for Deluxe passes. In any case the cast member, rudely told us it was a blackout day. I don't think I have ever been so rudely treated in my life by her terseness, body language, and overall demeanor. So much so Im questioning even renewing our AP's next year.

I personally wouldn't decide on renewing or not based on one bad interaction with one CM. With as many people as are employed at the resort, yes, there are going to be some who don't always live up to the Disney standard, whether dealing with an annual passholder or a regular guest.

Can you tell us exactly what the CM said and did that you thought was rude? What do you mean by her being terse? What specifically was her body language? What specifically was her overall demeanor?

I always wonder why the folks at the parking lot don't just tell you, you don't have access to the park today. Instead of having to lug your family through the long walk to the entrance, only to find out you cant get in.

Yes, it would be a courtesy for a CM to tell you if if was a blackout day, but if I was holding a pass that had blackout days, I would certainly make sure I was allowed entrance that day before planning to go.

Even if you don't have parking?

I would figure they can look at the pass and see if there's a "P" to indicate that the person has parking on their pass, but that won't necessarily tell the CM if the parking is valid that day. However, since they are supposed to swipe the pass nowadays, I would think the computer would let them know if the pass, and therefore added parking, wasn't valid that day.

yazooo
11-29-2009, 01:36 PM
I have to agree with Bennette. Most people paying for parking at the parking lots are coming in with regular tickets. The amount of time it would take to tell each car "BTW - SoCal passes are blocked today" or "All Socal and Deluxe passes are blocked today" wouldn't be cost effective.

My parking is on my AP card, when I hand them my Deluxe pass with the "P" on it for parking it would pretty easy and quick for them to tell you.

AVP
11-29-2009, 01:48 PM
My parking is on my AP card, when I hand them my Deluxe pass with the "P" on it for parking it would pretty easy and quick for them to tell you.AND they should have charged you $14 for parking on a blockout day.

Malcon10t
11-29-2009, 01:53 PM
My parking is on my AP card, when I hand them my Deluxe pass with the "P" on it for parking it would pretty easy and quick for them to tell you.Then you are right, they should have charged you for parking.

yazooo
11-29-2009, 05:25 PM
Then you are right, they should have charged you for parking.

Wrong, they should have told me that Im blacked out and have been done with it. Seems pretty simple. Yes some argue, an AP may be coming on a black out day and are willing to pay for a day ticket $3-$40, but I would believe these folks constitute a minuscule minority. After spending $1500 for family deluxe passes, paying per day $40 would be actually stupid.

Anyways this is all beside the point, my issue is with the fact that the Cast member was overtly rude with in "attitude like wow your are only a deluxe card holder what are you doing here. This is thanksgiving weekend and you are at the 'Grand' Californian".

Anyways I have filed a compliant, doubt anything will happen.

Malcon10t
11-29-2009, 05:28 PM
Wrong, they should have told me that Im blacked out and have been done with it. Seems pretty simple. Yes some argue, an AP may be coming on a black out day and are willing to pay for a day ticket $3-$40, but I would believe these folks constitute a minuscule minority. After spending $1500 for family deluxe passes, paying per day $40 would be actually stupid.Well, they sell a thousand or so black out tickets a day I've been told. But, did they charge you for parking?

You are right, the cast member should have simply informed you your were blocked out and explained you would need a block out ticket and where to buy one.

Teddi
11-29-2009, 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
Then you are right, they should have charged you for parking.
Wrong, they should have told me that Im blacked out and have been done with it. Yes some argue, an AP may be coming on a black out day and are willing to pay for a day ticket $3-$40, but I would believe these folks constitute a minuscule minority. After spending $1500 for family deluxe passes, paying per day $40 would be actually stupid.

Honestly, and I guess I don't live locally so maybe I'd think LESS about it, but I'd assume you knew what you were doing going to the park that day. My cousin (SOcalSelect holder) paid the $45 blockout pass fee to meet me, I'd do it if it made sense (like adding on one day to a multiday trip, etc)... I guess what I mean is, holding anything less than a PAP ... I'm well aware of my dates.

And, this year, I bet there have been even more blackout tickets purchased than ever...with the birthday promo and all.

I am sorry the CM was rude to you. She should have been helpful, and not treating you differently from other guests!

Malcon10t
11-29-2009, 07:18 PM
Honestly, and I guess I don't live locally so maybe I'd think LESS about it, but I'd assume you knew what you were doing going to the park that day. My cousin (SOcalSelect holder) paid the $45 blockout pass fee to meet me, I'd do it if it made sense (like adding on one day to a multiday trip, etc)... I guess what I mean is, holding anything less than a PAP ... I'm well aware of my dates.

And, this year, I bet there have been even more blackout tickets purchased than ever...with the birthday promo and all.

I am sorry the CM was rude to you. She should have been helpful, and not treating you differently from other guests!Right, my nephews are Deluxe APs, and I purchased them block outs because we opted to go for a time that included a Sat this past summer. My mom is also a deluxe, and again we did a weekend during the summer, so we bought a block out.

For future reference, Dec 24-Jan 2nd are all block out days.

cstephens
11-29-2009, 07:55 PM
Wrong, they should have told me that Im blacked out and have been done with it.

Umm, no, the CM at the parking garage should not have assumed that you wouldn't have wanted to go in if you had to pay for parking that day. They should have told you that it was a blackout day ticket and what the parking charge was. If you didn't want to pay it, you could have decided at the time.

So before you went to the resort, you didn't check to make sure it wasn't a blackout day for you?

Anyways this is all beside the point, my issue is with the fact that the Cast member was overtly rude with in "attitude like wow your are only a deluxe card holder what are you doing here. This is thanksgiving weekend and you are at the 'Grand' Californian".

Is that actually what she said, or are you paraphrasing? I'm curious as to what exactly she said and did. I did ask that in an earlier post, but maybe you missed it accidentally.

yazooo
11-29-2009, 08:25 PM
Umm, no, the CM at the parking garage should not have assumed that you wouldn't have wanted to go in if you had to pay for parking that day. They should have told you that it was a blackout day ticket and what the parking charge was. If you didn't want to pay it, you could have decided at the time.

So before you went to the resort, you didn't check to make sure it wasn't a blackout day for you?

Is that actually what she said, or are you paraphrasing? I'm curious as to what exactly she said and did. I did ask that in an earlier post, but maybe you missed it accidentally.

They didnt charge me for parking I dont know why you keep assuming that. I had parking covered with the Annual Parking pass I purchased that shows a big "P" on my annual deluxe pass. Additionally the parking folks said you can enter throught the Grand Californian, when in reality, there is a huge sign that says for guests only.

As far was what the CAST member said, she said you and I quote "ONLY have a deluxe pass, you are blacked out..." .

mechurchlady
11-29-2009, 08:37 PM
Disney provides a telephone number to call as well as online information. There are sites online that list block out days for the parks and park hours. If Disney were to post in 10 feet letters that the day was blocked out then someone would still not see them letters. People do not read signs, so it seems, and do not pay attention to available information like signs.

Before going to DCA and Storyteller's Cafe with my disabled mother I checked online for information. What was closed, special events, and park hours. I had my day planned on where I was going, where to eat and even the getting my mother a block out ticket. It is not Disney's fault I went to the wrong window to buy the ticket, for example.

It is not the subway's fault that I get on the wrong train nor the bus line's fault I arrive when there are no busses leaving for 6 hours. I as a consumer have to be aware of anything that my hamper my use of something. Expiration dates, block out dates, eligibility, etc. are the consumer's responsibility.

I am sorry you had a bad day.

bennette
11-29-2009, 08:39 PM
They didnt charge me for parking I dont know why you keep assuming that. I had parking covered with the Annual Parking pass I purchased that shows a big "P" on my annual deluxe pass. Additionally the parking folks said you can enter throught the Grand Californian, when in reality, there is a huge sign that says for guests only.

As far was what the CAST member said, she said you and I quote "ONLY have a deluxe pass, you are blacked out..." .

Well, I think some of us are still wondering why you think they have taken the time to check your media and tell you couldn't get into the park that day. I understand you were disappointed (that would be a total bummer!) but realistically, there are thousands of people going through that structure and I don't see the parking staff being able to query people about their day and still efficiently manage the structure, which is their primary job.

And you can enter through the Grand California, with the possible exception of the half hour before the park opens. I know what the sign says; perhaps they need that justification on the occasional day when they are limiting access to the parks, but many of us enter there on a regular basis. I entered as recently as last Saturday. And I assure you I was not a guest of the hotel.

It *sounds* as if the message you got at the gate was that you couldn't get in because you were blocked out. That is the same message you would get at any gate. It's probably not coming across well electronically but the message you got from this CM doesn't sound all that horrific. (I know tenseness or body language wouldn't come across in what you typed in your post necessarily but I'm really not seeing it. I'm trying to, but I'm afraid it's not very obvious.)

Rufus T Firefly
11-29-2009, 08:42 PM
It is not the subway's fault that I get on the wrong train nor the bus line's fault I arrive when there are no busses leaving for 6 hours. I as a consumer have to be aware of anything that my hamper my use of something. Expiration dates, block out dates, eligibility, etc. are the consumer's responsibility.

Well said. A little advance planning goes a looong way.

hlr8705
11-29-2009, 09:22 PM
i understand where your coming from as on my birthday i didnt bother to read up and didn't know that i could only enter one park, and that was my fault not theres...

however, i dont know why you got free parking though..

cstephens
11-29-2009, 09:31 PM
They didnt charge me for parking I dont know why you keep assuming that. I had parking covered with the Annual Parking pass I purchased that shows a big "P" on my annual deluxe pass.

I'm not assuming anything, and you seem to have missed the multiple people who have posted that since you were blocked out from the parks that day, your parking pass was also not good that day. Just because you purchased parking on your deluxe pass doesn't mean that you can park at the structure any time you want to. The parking portion of your pass is only good on days when your pass is good in the parks, so even if you just wanted to wander around Downtown Disney, your pass wouldn't allow you to park in the structure. Even if the "P" on your pass was flashing neon purple, that wouldn't have made a difference. The CM didn't charge you parking, but he/she should have.

So you're saying she's rude and her behaviour was rude, and her entire demeanor and attitude was rude, solely because she used the word "only"? I agree that it was unnecessary to include that word, but your reaction seems extreme to me just because she used one extraneous word.

If nothing else, I guess that means you'll know better next time to make sure you're not blacked out before heading to the resort.

bennette
11-29-2009, 09:40 PM
I don't believe there is any distinction between parking (that someone has added and paid for) on a deluxe and a premium. The parking is good every day of the year. At least the Disney site doesn't make a distinction between the two. And the P described on the back of the OP's pass *sounds* just like the P on a Premium Pass. At least it does to me.

I don't think he got in for free (and I don't think he does either, from his posts). His parking is covered any time he chooses to go into the structure. (Maybe he wants to go to the roof to watch 4th of July fireworks. Maybe he likes to take frequent trips to DTD and prefers the structure to DTD parking. I believe he is free to do so without additional charges.)

But...I don't think this translates into someone at the parking structure being responsible for telling him about blockout days. There are differences between the passes; the blockout days are clearly identified to anyone who cares to look; and presumably the trade off in days between a deluxe and premium was worth the difference in cost (or was equivalent to what the OP felt was a reasonable investment of his available entertainment funds). Otherwise we'd all have a premium pass.

If there was poor treatment by a CM at a gate, then by all means, focus on that and file a complaint, which he has done.

cstephens
11-29-2009, 09:59 PM
I don't believe there is any distinction between parking (that someone has added and paid for) on a deluxe and a premium. The parking is good every day of the year. At least the Disney site doesn't make a distinction between the two. And the P described on the back of the OP's pass *sounds* just like the P on a Premium Pass. At least it does to me.

Disney's site that addresses parking for passholders specifically addresses the issue of blockout days.

Quoting from this page of the FAQ, about the parking questions section (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/ap/faq?name=AnnualPassholderUngatedFAQPage#PARKINGHot Link), with bolding mine:

Annual Passport parking is currently an additional $79.00 (prices subject to change without notice and no pro-rated discounts or refunds). Parking is already included in the Premium Annual Passport. You may add the parking benefit to your Pass at any time by visiting the Annual Passport Processing Center located inside DisneylandŽ Park. If you paid for parking in the Mickey & Friends parking structure on the same day that you are adding the parking option to your current Annual Pass, present your paid parking ticket while upgrading and you will be reimbursed for the parking cost. Parking benefit is not valid on Blockout days.

Malcon10t
11-30-2009, 05:53 AM

I don't think he got in for free (and I don't think he does either, from his posts). His parking is covered any time he chooses to go into the structure. (Maybe he wants to go to the roof to watch 4th of July fireworks. Maybe he likes to take frequent trips to DTD and prefers the structure to DTD parking. I believe he is free to do so without additional charges.)Actually, like cstephens quoted, your parking pass is not valid on a block out day. This does make it interesting as they are supposed to swipe the pass to verify it is valid that day, and it wouldn't have been valid.

Similarly, if you do buy a block out ticket for that day, your parking still isn't valid that day, not can you use your discounts that day.