PDA

View Full Version : Pin trading during the week?

CindyR
11-22-2009, 01:09 AM
I'm couldn't figure out where else to post so hopefully this is fine. I'm doing a paper for school, and I wanted to do it on why people do pin trading. I'm kind of intrigued with it being I don't do it personally. However, I've procrastinated kind of an unreasonable amount of time. The paper is due Dec 2, and I have to observe people actually pin trading, and conduct two interviews for the paper.

So I'm trying to gauge if it is even a reasonable idea at this point and have been searching for unofficial pin trading events or times online but from what I've found it is only on Friday, Saturday and Sundays. I'm planning on going Monday and was hoping I could catch some in action but it's starting to look doubtful. Plus, I would still have to find someone to interview, besides a friend I know that pin trades that I can interview.

Any advice? It'd be much appreciated.

Tinker Bell
11-22-2009, 10:32 AM
I would say go over to DizPinz board (http://dizpinsboards.yuku.com/) it is a pin board and ask there if any one will be in the park. I go different times when I have a chance to walk to park, trade, people, watch, and ride rides. I always see a trader or 2 while there. Good luck on your paper.

mechurchlady
11-22-2009, 11:17 AM
Not sure about DCA but the pin traders hang out in Frontierland on the northeast area. In front of the pin shop in Tomorrowland is the other spot. It is an unwritten rule that if you are from out of state that would be where you go to find traders. We used to also meet elsewhere like hotels and in front of Downtown Disney pin cart.

Just go to those shops and you will see the traders. The third spot was Plaza Pavillion before it was AP Center. Do not worry they will be there as I once spent my birthday with my rump on a muddy planter in a rainstorm. Watch for people carrying the black books with pins.

Pin trading for most people is collecting of something but some like the wheeling and dealing end of the trading game.

cstephens
11-22-2009, 11:37 AM
So I'm trying to gauge if it is even a reasonable idea at this point and have been searching for unofficial pin trading events or times online but from what I've found it is only on Friday, Saturday and Sundays. I'm planning on going Monday and was hoping I could catch some in action but it's starting to look doubtful. Plus, I would still have to find someone to interview, besides a friend I know that pin trades that I can interview.

There are generally people there who do pin trading all the time, not just at events. There will probably be fewer people there on a regular Monday than a weekend or a holiday - if you could possibly go on a Saturday or Sunday or sometime over the Thanksgiving holiday, you might have a better chance of encountering more people.

I would go to the main pin locations (DL is Store Command, Frontierland, Emporium, New Orleans Square; DCA is P.T. Flea's) and oftentimes, there are pin traders gathered around with their bags and lanyards and such. Many of them will carry pin bags and/or be wearing lanyards with pins on them. A lot of them used to hang out right outside Store Command, but I'm not sure if they're still there. I've also seen a lot of them in the seating of Plaza Pavilion, where AP processing is.

You will also find a lot of them at the Downtown Disney pin cart location, by the monorail entrance. There are a number of tables set up there for them, and I think you'll have a good chance of finding someone to interview and people to talk to. I'm sure that if you explain what you're doing, you'll be able to find some people willing to talk to you, but keep in mind that there are all kinds of pin traders, so what one or two people tell you about why they pin trade or what their demeanour or attitude might be isn't necessarily indicative of the majority of pin traders.

Good luck!

CindyR
11-22-2009, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the information everyone. I'm planning on going tomorrow, and hopefully can find something. In the best case scenario I would be able to see up an interview ahead of time, because it should be around a half an hour, and I don't know if anyone I randomly wandered up to would be able to do that, but if I can't set up something tomorrow, I think I'll be able to stop by next Saturday so there will definately be people there then.

It is definately a short-term assignment so it won't be the best picture of the activity but it's something.

mechurchlady
11-22-2009, 09:31 PM
Except for some low life sharks the pin traders are very nice people. I am sure if you explained what you were doing you could get them to sit with you and do an interview on the spot. They often sit there hours chatting with friends and waiting for other traders. I miss some of them traders a lot. Trust me you will not have trouble getting interviews. So many nice people in pin trading.

danyoung
11-23-2009, 07:46 AM
Cindy, you might also want to include pin trading from the CM's perspective. I know I've heard some interesting stories from my CM brother, and I'm sure he'd be willing to chat with you (although he won't be able to give you a 30 minute block while he's working). Go to the Rushin' River store in DCA (next to Grizzley River Run) and ask for Dave. Tell him Dan sent you!

CindyR
11-25-2009, 01:10 AM
Yeah I think I'm going to head to Disneyland on Saturday and hope to score at least one interview with someone in person. Just I know interviewing in person is the best method as opposed to online so I hope it works out. We'll see, thats what I get for procrastinating. :/ Oh well.