PDA

View Full Version : Aladdin to close in July?

cstephens
02-01-2003, 08:38 PM
Someone on alt.disney.disneyland posted that Aladdin was closing in July. Not that I'm inclined to believe someone on a.d.d. that I don't know, but Michelle Smith responded that she'd heard the same thing. Anyone else hear anything concrete about this? Michelle, you still here - heard anything else?

Don
02-01-2003, 08:55 PM
Admittedly I haven't followed the Aladdin news too much because a show like that just doesn't interest me, but wasn't the thought behind it supposed to be a new, lasting form of entertainment? In other words, if it was successful, expect Aladdin to be there a long, long time. Would they be simply changing shows or would this be an admission of failure?

DisneyFan25863
02-01-2003, 08:56 PM
It's supposed to run for 3 more years, and then be converted to a "long version" that will run on Broadway

DisneyGuy03
02-02-2003, 07:26 AM
DisenyFan is almost correct, the 45 minute version of Aladdin is signed for a total of 3 Years from the Dec. 9th date and there is supposed to be a long version, which may open up as early as later this year, my guess would be July, given what has been floating around, but both shows will run at the same time....The current cast's contracts will expire sometime in June or so, as they have had 6 month contracts from the official opening date, so it is possible that this is where the rumor got started, but I can gurantee Disney wouldn't close Aladdin during one of it's busiest times of the year, nor are they going to do so any time this year, it's way too popular already for them to do that.

Reality is Aladdin is indeed a show with long lasting entertainment value and will end up on Broadway and Touring with a full 2 hour show, but they want to have a setup like Blast! did where the short version is running at the same time.

AlanaP
02-03-2003, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by DisneyGuy03
....The current cast's contracts will expire sometime in June or so, as they have had 6 month contracts from the official opening date, so it is possible that this is where the rumor got started, .

I FINALLY got to see Aladdin this weekend.. Liked it.

anyway.. I was sitting next to the Mother of one of the cast, and she and Iwere talking. Since I had seen this thread just before I left for the park, I asked HER if it was scheduled to end in July. This is what she told me.. the cast had originally signed a 6 month contract but that was just recently extended another 6 monnths. So that puts it in til at least December...

Alana

DisneyGuy03
02-03-2003, 08:15 AM
Ok, so, then I guess the big question is why they are hold audtions, unless not everyone in the cast wanted to extend their contracts, or they want to add in a third cast, so they can do mroe performances per day, both of which are extremely possible.

zapppop
02-03-2003, 09:29 AM
It's unlikely the show will end in the middle of the resort's peak season. The show will continue through end of summer, at the least. However, I don't believe the show will last three full years. TDA is disappointed w/ the show (spending so much money to develope what turned out to be just a regular Disneyland show) and even the director is saying that he thinks it's not very good and is getting worst. I thought the show was enjoyable but I'm not excited about seeing it again. I haven't seen it since mid December and could care less. This show just didn't excite me. Allot of reworking and recasting is necessary if they ever expect this show to make it to broadway.

Not Afraid
02-03-2003, 06:12 PM
Do what you must with the DCA Aladdin show - I could care less. However, just don't mess with my beloved Aladdin show at DL. With my favorite actors back together, the show is back to being the funniest it has ever been. What a hoot!

Moderator's Note: I edited NA's description of the actors. Adrienne K

DisneyGuy03
02-03-2003, 08:36 PM
It's unlikely the show will end in the middle of the resort's peak season. The show will continue through end of summer, at the least. However, I don't believe the show will last three full years. TDA is disappointed w/ the show (spending so much money to develope what turned out to be just a regular Disneyland show) and even the director is saying that he thinks it's not very good and is getting worst. I thought the show was enjoyable but I'm not excited about seeing it again. I haven't seen it since mid December and could care less. This show just didn't excite me. Allot of reworking and recasting is necessary if they ever expect this show to make it to broadway.

Actually, first off the director is a lady, whom I met, secondly, Eisner, TDA and all others involved think the show is great, this coming from the cast, crew, Hyperion Cast Members and many others, the show is also definitely going to Broadway, the question that is left is when, this of course has Anne Hamburger (Sp?) very excited......The thing that shows this is this new Souvenier Program that's come out, that is the main thing, look at the back and it lists the Original Hyperion Cast.

Finding this information is never easy, but I have done so, Eisner has also gone back stage and complimented the cast the last time he saw the show for a wonderfull show, the first time he saw it, he thought it was alright, but needed some work, suggested some changes and they made them and he now loves the show.....the biggest change is he forced Anne to put in Iago, she didn't want Abu or Iago, Eisner apparently wanted both, so they compromised with just adding Iago, then when he first saw it, he didn't think Iago was funny enough, so he had her give Iago more lines and such. The point being it's here and I know it's here for at least three years, as soon as they saw how popular it was, they signed it on for three years. ....This is a fact, again, according to Hyperion CMs, Cast, Crew and others that are involved with the show.

cemeinke
02-03-2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by DisneyGuy03
The point being it's here and I know it's here for at least three years, as soon as they saw how popular it was, they signed it on for three years. ....This is a fact, again, according to Hyperion CMs, Cast, Crew and others that are involved with the show.

So what's this about cast members saying they've signed up for another 6 months after the initial 6 month run? That adds up to one year in my mind - but that info like every thing else on the internet is heresay, so who knows for sure.

zapppop
02-03-2003, 09:09 PM
just remember the magical words that Disney always uses:

subject to change, without notice

adriennek
02-03-2003, 09:22 PM
Wasn't Blast supposed to be around a lot longer than it was? Their contract was cut short wasn't it?

Don't forget Disney's other saying, "Something suddenly went wrong."

Adrienne K

DLfreak
02-03-2003, 09:26 PM
Blast was only cut short by like 3 weeks I think.
Rumor warning:
I heard from a friend of friend (who is a member of the cast of Aladdin) that they may bring back Blast for a bit after Aladdin is gone. He also said that they have experimented putting Blast over at the Fantasyland theatre...but the acoustics didn't work out right. But I haven't heard either of these rumors else where....so that's really all they are.

zapppop
02-03-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by DLfreak
Blast was only cut short by like 3 weeks I think.
Try 4 months.
Blast was suppost to leave January 2003 but Disney backed out of their deal and ended the show in September. Since then, I just don't give a damn about DCA anymore and can no longer get excited about anything there.

MammaSilva
02-03-2003, 10:02 PM
Well I can't speak about the Aladdin, but when we saw the full cast/show of Blast in Sacramento in January we chatted with a few of the cast after the show and flat asked if/when they might be coming back to DCA....as far as they knew there are no plans to bring it back to the park... I won't even post one comment that was made since we are a family forum.....

DLfreak
02-04-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by zapppop
Try 4 months.
Blast was suppost to leave January 2003 but Disney backed out of their deal and ended the show in September. Since then, I just don't give a damn about DCA anymore and can no longer get excited about anything there.
Sorry...I wasn't sure...that's why I said "I think" :)