PDA

View Full Version : a DL story

thekirk
01-31-2003, 06:53 PM
Hey. I used to have a DL website that featured people's DL memories - here is one of mine I found.

Have any of you had something like this happen to you at Disneyland before?

On my 2nd to last visit to the park we went for 3 days. It was the end of the 1st day, and we decided to go on Indy one more time. We got in line. It was a long line. My mom was the last one in our group. There were some little girls clipping at her ankles (don't you hate it when you have little kids right behind you in line?!?!). She told them to please stop. The girls looked up at there mother with there innocent faces. The mother kind of gave my mom a half look (like she was looking at my mom, but she wasn't trying to make it obvious..I dunno). So then the mother of the kids talks to her husband, or boyfriend in Spanish. They rambled on. I thought they might be talking about how to keep the little kids under control. As we move up the line I glance at the couple and their children as they move with the line. Just like we all glance and look at people while we are in line. We don't stare, but our eyes stop at things, and we look at certain objects more closely. Well the husband had on a fat necklace, with a fat charm on it. It was some Asian God, or something. It was ivory, or something. It was just kind of a white blob on his chest. This husband guy was big, as in fat. He looked like Fat Joe (the rapper). MY STORY IS GOING SOMEPLACE, OK! Anyways, my eyes are always catching this charm, trying to figure out what it is. As we get toward boarding area he say something to the affect of "What are you looking at" something like that. I give him a frown - and didn't say anything. Then the line moves he passes my dad and says something to the affect of "You need to teach your son a lesson." My dad then got upset at me! So now, I had no one on my side. The Fat Joe's look alike/ husband walked up to board with the rest of his family. My dad yelled at me "We aren't at home anymore!" All I had done was do what everyone does while they are in line. Glance, and look around. Taking everything in. I didn't like stare into the husband guys face. I just glanced around. So we got on the ride. We get off, and headed toward Main Street to exit the park. All down Main Street me and my dad are arguing. He insisited I was spoiled to death, and I need to face the real wrold (or something to that affect). I agree with the spoiled to death part, but I know what the real world is like. The real world has people who don't think about there actions. They think they are number one. This husband/Fat Joe look alike guy was insecure about his weight, I think. I don't know. But thats my story. Give me your comments....good or bad. Do you think I'm a spoiled lil' brat who needs to wake up? Or do you think this guy needed wake up and relize he was in a public place, where people look at other people as there eyes glance around, all the time!

oregonzooron
01-31-2003, 07:16 PM
Kirk, I'd have to say you missed an opportunity...

Instead of responding with a frown (which will ALWAYS gain a negative response) you might have taken the chance to ask about the necklace - you were curious, right?

Any situation like this can be tense and adversarial, but a polite overture can diffuse things very quickly. You might have learned about a different culture, or at least a family different than yours.

Real friendships have started with much less!

:)

see you at the zoo

ron

MouseWife
01-31-2003, 07:47 PM
Yes, he could have handled it that way, but, we are older {don't ask!} and with age comes the ability to respond to situations more quickly. More experience, maybe.

But, also, I have done that, not really focusing on anything and then I catch myself realizing that people won't know I am just scanning the place.

I am sorry, though, that your dad chewed you out. That isn't right. Besides, if he is the one who spoiled you, he has to recognize that. ;) Oh, and, I don't see what happened as being spoiled. Actually, if you had said something it may have seemed sarcastic.

But, oregonzooron is right, people are usually pretty easy to talk to and you might learn something you didn't.

thekirk
01-31-2003, 08:39 PM
Well - he said it in a very rough way. It wasn't what you call nice. He was hard to understand, and didn't speak good English. I couldn't see myself turning it around into something good. I don't know - it was really weird. His remark was very sudden, and unexcpected.