PDA

View Full Version : Tortilla Jo's Taqueria reopened

Pages : [1] 2

AVP
11-08-2009, 01:36 PM
This probaby happened while I was in Walt Disney World last week, but the Taqueria outside Tortilla Jos has finally reopened. They closed the walk-up counter to add an enclosed seating area, required in order for them to sell alcohol. Now they have a new menu, including beer and margaritas, and a fancy new shaded seating area.

Here's the current menu:

1. Select Your Meal

Tacos - $5.95. Two soft corn or flour tortillas built with choice of meat, salsa, cheese, onions, cilantro and lettuce.

Burritos - $8.85. Large flour tortilla filled with choice of pinto or vegetarian black beans, meat, rice, salsa, cheese and sour cream.

Vegetarian Burrito - $6.95. Large flour tortilla filled with cilantro-lime rice, vegetarian black beans, pico de gallo, sauteed vegetables, jack cheese and guacamole.

Nachos - $6.95. Tortilla chips, Jo's cheese sauce, choice of pinto or black beans topped with pico de gallo. Add a choice of meat for $2.00.

2. Select Your Filling

Shredded adobo chicken - tender citrus-marinated chicken cooked with achiote spice.

Pork carnitas - pork shoulder, braised slowly with fresh citrus and Mexican spices.

Grilled steak - lean beef marinated with fresh cilantro, lime and Mexican spices.

3. Select Your Salsa

Salsa Roja - mild
Salsa Verde - medium
Salsa Quemada - spicy hot

Sides

Chips & Salsa - $2.95
Chips & Guacamole - $4.95
Beans or Rice - $2.50
Pico de Gallo - $1.50
Guacamole - $2.00

Drinks

Aguas Frescas - $2.95. Traditional fresh fruit juice served ice cold.
Bottled beverages - $2.95. Bottled water, fruit juice, Jarritos Mexican sodas.
Soda fountain - $3.50. Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Root Beer, Lemonade.

Desserts

Mexican brownie with chocolate sauce - $3.95
Fresh fruit cup - $3.95
Cookie - $1.95

Margaritas & Beer

Frozen Magaritas - $8.00. Strawberry or lime.
Mexican Beer - $7.00. Pacifico, Corona, Corona Light, Negra Modelo.
American Been - $6.25. Coor's Light, Budweiser

Instead of ordering at a walk-up window, you now enter through the patio, order at a counter inside the restaurant, and take your food back to the patio. Personally, I think they need a little more signage welcoming people to come in, because right now the entrance looks like an exit.

Drince88
11-08-2009, 02:08 PM
Does DTD allow you to walk around with an adult beverage purchased from there? Or is this a strictly - "order here, eat and drink here" counter service establishment?

AVP
11-08-2009, 02:11 PM
Does DTD allow you to walk around with an adult beverage purchased from there? Or is this a strictly - "order here, eat and drink here" counter service establishment?You can not leave the enclosed patio area with an adult beverage, which is why they had to enclose their patio in the first place before they could add alcohol to their menu.

AVP

Drince88
11-08-2009, 02:12 PM
That's what I figured. Silly California ethanol laws...

mechurchlady
11-08-2009, 03:12 PM
I hope they have improved the quality of the food. The owners are known for great cuisine so I was a bit disappointed with the taco that was sitting in grease and that had not much in flavor. It was edible, hearty and filling but not up to what could have been served.

Silly ethanol laws? If you win a prize from a winery, brewery or other ethanol purveyor then you get a $5 prize while people in other states get the million dollar prize.

Back to the food I wait to hear how things go with this restaurant as I love Mexican food. I will be trying them next month.

BlkPearlCptn
11-08-2009, 03:14 PM
Looking forward to reviews as I haven't heard ANY good reports about this place. (Tempted to eat there last time, but remembered all the negative comments about the food).

mechurchlady
11-08-2009, 03:19 PM
Looking forward to reviews as I haven't heard ANY good reports about this place. (Tempted to eat there last time, but remembered all the negative comments about the food).
I have been eating Mexican food for many years and in hole in the wall restaurants, home cooking and chain restaurants. I do not recall ever getting a carnitas taco or burrito covered in grease or oil let alone having the boat filling up with the grease. Greasy was a complaint I saw on line a lot. Maybe I have not eaten in enough restaurants. I wiped it dry and ate it with no problem. It was edible and filling but no notes of spices like other carnitas I have had.

AVP
11-08-2009, 03:54 PM
Looking forward to reviews as I haven't heard ANY good reports about this place.Wierd. I don't like Tortilla Jo's at all, but I've always liked the Taqueria.

AVP

adriennek
11-08-2009, 04:03 PM

Wierd. I don't like Tortilla Jo's at all, but I've always liked the Taqueria.

What AVP said. I haven't eaten there much but the tacos we had there were tasty. I know Stan4dSteph is a fan, too.

Adrienne

BlkPearlCptn
11-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Ok, you guys have given me hope. Will give it a try next time I'm down. Thanks!:)

twindaddy
11-08-2009, 04:25 PM
If you are eating at the outdoor taqueria, can you refill your soda? (yes, I am obsessed with this issue)

MammaSilva
11-08-2009, 04:33 PM
If you are eating at the outdoor taqueria, can you refill your soda? (yes, I am obsessed with this issue)

Not before the change, really wouldn't expect it after the change. Before it was a walk up window and it sounds like it's still a walk up window with a slight change in the seating. With the sale of alcohol they have to have 'contained' seating much like the UVA bar.

Darkbeer
11-08-2009, 05:13 PM
The Soda dispenser is "fill it up yourself" at the corner next to the register.

Not sure if they allow Free refills, or if there is a charge.

Darkbeer
11-08-2009, 05:20 PM
Not before the change, really wouldn't expect it after the change. Before it was a walk up window and it sounds like it's still a walk up window with a slight change in the seating. With the sale of alcohol they have to have 'contained' seating much like the UVA bar.

It is NOT a walk up window, you walk in a door, and there is a group of staff that asks what you want, what toppings you want, sides, etc. Think of something like Subway, where all the meats, extra and sides are cooked in advanced, and then your personal items are assembled in front of you. Then you exit out of a second set of doors after you pay. (The entrance is on the west side, and the exit is on the east side).

MammaSilva
11-08-2009, 05:21 PM
Thanks DB for the clarifications!

Drince88
11-08-2009, 05:41 PM
Silly ethanol laws? If you win a prize from a winery, brewery or other ethanol purveyor then you get a $5 prize while people in other states get the million dollar prize.

I don't understand the rest of this about winning prizes (are you talking to me, as a resident of Louisiana, or a general reader that's a resident of California or some other state?) but in regards to my comment about silly ethanol laws:

Where I live in Louisiana we have drive-thru daiquiri stands (you can't put the straw in and you have to leave the top on until you get home to comply with open container in moving vehicle laws) and you can drink alcohol in public, on a public street, as long as it's not in a glass container. And not just in the French Quarter. So it seems 'silly' to me to not be able to get a margarita in a 'go cup' and drink in DTD.

mechurchlady
11-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Thank you Darkbeer for the explanation. It sounds like a big change and I definitely want to try this some day soon.

leota's necklace
11-08-2009, 08:38 PM
I don't understand the rest of this about winning prizes (are you talking to me, as a resident of Louisiana, or a general reader that's a resident of California or some other state?)....

Thanks, I thought I was the only one who completely lost the point there....

mechurchlady
11-08-2009, 09:31 PM
Thanks, I thought I was the only one who completely lost the point there....
Silly ethanol laws, sorry you missed what I said. The state of California has laws that state that any brewery, winery, distiller, or other ethanol/booze related business has a contest then the prize cannot be more than $5.

My point was that California has other silly booze related laws like that if I win a million dollar prize then as a resident of California all I get is a $5 prize like a hat. I guess only us sweepstakers would understand how silly California booze related laws can be for winning prizes.

evrythngwmn
11-09-2009, 04:07 AM
The look of it now reminds me of a Rubio's.

stan4d_steph
11-09-2009, 05:20 AM
I've always liked the Taqueria. It's a great value, and much better than the Mexican you can get at Rancho del Zocalo. It's a good option for people who don't have a car available to go seek out the local joints that are farther afield.

olegc
11-09-2009, 06:44 AM
Wierd. I don't like Tortilla Jo's at all, but I've always liked the Taqueria.

AVP

same here... always had very good meals at the window..

cstephens
11-09-2009, 08:28 AM
I ate at the taqueria when it first opened and really liked it but have just never happened to go back. We eat at the main restaurant on a fairly regular basis (maybe once every month or two), and we like it a lot. They've had some menu changes that I've not been happy about, but that seems par for the course at most places we go to.

Mark Mywords
11-09-2009, 08:47 AM
We've always had good experiences at the Taqueria. Can't wait for it to re-open. We really missed it on our last trip.

MouseEars
11-09-2009, 11:09 AM
We ate at the Taqueria a few years ago with the kids. It was okay. Pretty decent sized portions. That said, I had dinner a few months ago at the outdoor bar/patio from the main restaurant and had a really good meal. Big portions and a diverse and good selection of entrees/options. On a nice night, it's a great place to chill, have a good meal, a few cervezas and people watch.