PDA

View Full Version : Tom Sawyer Refurbishment

Pages : [1] 2

Duane
01-31-2003, 07:46 AM
Does anyone know if the suspension bridge will be repaired during the Tom Sawyer Island refurbishment? It has been out of service for so long I hope they take advantage of the situation and fix it! Also, I've heard the the fort will be torn down. Will it be replaced before the Island reopens? Any information would be greatly appreciated since I have a trip booked to visit soon.

refurbmike
01-31-2003, 10:37 AM
I doubt the bridge will be replaced, it's a major safety concern. Disney would have to staff a CM at the bridges if they wanna keep it. Same with pontoon bridge.

The Fort will be torn out. I think there are plans for either a new soft-and-safe play area, similar to the play area in DCA.

Tref
01-31-2003, 12:52 PM
A soft and safe play area on Tom Sawyer's island?! I hope you're wrong. My God, when will Disney returns to its senses? They've hit a creative nadir: Atlantis, Treasure Planet, DCA, moronic TV shows, brain dead sequels to their classic films. Good grief! I always thought the Wreck of Toontown was just a brief sojourn into the mundane, little did I realise that it was a harbinger of things to come.
Just for the record, Disney, Tom and Huck explored caves & went on adventures. I don't remember one instance of them rollicking in a net-cage of multi coloured balls. But then they never went to McDonalds, either, which is where you would usually find schlock of that caliber. I hate to say it, but to paraphrase Walt, Disneyland is now officially out of any imagination. Its all gone. They can no longer grow or expand, all they can do now is vomit 101 Dalmation sequels, bubble wrap rides and sell those moronic, imbecilic pins.

I.r.

Kimi_Coconuts
01-31-2003, 01:03 PM
What soft and safe play area in DCA? The water area in Bug's Land, the ship to play on? I'm confused!

I would love to see a soft and safe play area for the kids, but that's me personally.

kranders
01-31-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Kimi_Coconuts
What soft and safe play area in DCA? The water area in Bug's Land, the ship to play on? I'm confused!. The Redwood Challenge Trail in DCA. It's great. Don't miss the Chip & Dale's Storyteller time!

Blame the TSI troubles on the lawyers and the sue happy public!

slaakker
01-31-2003, 01:34 PM
I am another one who thinks a new play area on TS Island would be a great idea. I would hope though that they would a great job at the theming. There are so many possibilities.

LIMANDL4EVA
01-31-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Tref
I hate to say it, but to paraphrase Walt, Disneyland is now officially out of any imagination. Its all gone. They can no longer grow or expand, all they can do now is vomit 101 Dalmation sequels, bubble wrap rides and sell those moronic, imbecilic pins.

I.r.

well said, but u gotta admit there are still SOME (in rare cases) magical things left at DL and the people that try hard to make that happen deserve a round of applause

HBTiggerFan
01-31-2003, 02:23 PM
I think that the entire Island should be restored to its opening day glory. Put back the guns, restore and re-open all the caves, restore the fort, restore and re-open the bridges.

While we're at it lets restore peoples mind to accept responsibility for their actions and not be so sue happy, and have them watch their kids! That way Disney can relax. My mom found some photos of me on TSI as a little girl. They have me playing with the guns, running across the bridge and falling, skinning my knee and hand. Yea, she took a pic, its kinda funny now. Did they sue? NO! Why not? BECAUSE IT WAS AN ACCIDENT!

The rest of the world isn't "safe and soft", why should Disneyland be? Its no wonder theres very little imagination left. Kids are spoon fed video games, movie sequels and safe and soft play areas. Gone are the days of actually pretending you are Tom Sawyer or Huck Finn, climbing around and defending the fort, up the trees, running across bridges that could "fall" at any moment. :rolleyes: Its a sad day when you have to grieve over the childhood experiences your future children will never have because people refuse to take responsibility for their actions and expect everyone but themselves to watch their kids.

GeminiAngel
01-31-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Tref
A soft and safe play area on Tom Sawyer's island?! I hope you're wrong. My God, when will Disney returns to its senses? They've hit a creative nadir: Atlantis, Treasure Planet, DCA, moronic TV shows, brain dead sequels to their classic films. Good grief! I always thought the Wreck of Toontown was just a brief sojourn into the mundane, little did I realise that it was a harbinger of things to come.
I.r.

there is nothing wrong with safety!!!!! I would love to see a soft play area. :D As sad as it is, Times change. That's why we record, and photograph, for the memories. People are out for a buck anyway they can get it By that I mean "sue happy". I'm sure the island would have stayed the same if it were not for people like this. I will applaud Disney, if they can restore and rebulild the island with a realistic look and feel. And, all I can say is they could have just scrapped the whole thing, at least they are trying. On with the future!!!! To new memories!!!! :D

Allysen1Derland
01-31-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by HB Tigger Fan
I think that the entire Island should be restored to its opening day glory. Put back the guns, restore and re-open all the caves, restore the fort, restore and re-open the bridges.

While we're at it lets restore peoples mind to accept responsibility for their actions and not be so sue happy, and have them watch their kids! That way Disney can relax. My mom found some photos of me on TSI as a little girl. They have me playing with the guns, running across the bridge and falling, skinning my knee and hand. Yea, she took a pic, its kinda funny now. Did they sue? NO! Why not? BECAUSE IT WAS AN ACCIDENT!

The rest of the world isn't "safe and soft", why should Disneyland be? Its no wonder theres very little imagination left. Kids are spoon fed video games, movie sequels and safe and soft play areas. Gone are the days of actually pretending you are Tom Sawyer or Huck Finn, climbing around and defending the fort, up the trees, running across bridges that could "fall" at any moment. :rolleyes: Its a sad day when you have to grieve over the childhood experiences your future children will never have because people refuse to take responsibility for their actions and expect everyone but themselves to watch their kids.

Right On, HB Tigger Fan!! :) :) :)

MammaSilva
01-31-2003, 03:09 PM
What..... parents supervise their offspring? Accept responsiblity for their own behavior.....YOU Radical thinker you!

WTG HBTF!

innerSpaceman
01-31-2003, 04:49 PM
I hope they don't restore the suspension and pontoon bridges.

(I caught such flak here on M.P. for running across them on TSI's last day - and I only did it cause I thought it would be my last chance ever. If they bring them back, I'll have egg on my face. Sure, thousands of kids will have the enjoyment of playing on them again, and Walt will do one less full revolution in his grave, but hey - there's my embarrassment factor to consider here!)

YellowMan
01-31-2003, 06:36 PM
Its no wonder theres very little imagination left. Kids are spoon fed video games, movie sequels and safe and soft play areas. Yeah, and that new fangled television does nothing but rot people's brains. How dare people change as the times do!:rolleyes:

As much as I dislike the idea of losing the Tom Sawyer's Island I grew up with, you can't avoid the fact that times do change, and Disneyland needs to change with them. Heck, even Walt had the idea that Disneyland would never be complete and would always be changing. You think Disneyland would stay in business if they never changed a single thing?

I agree that people should watch their kids and that they should take responsibility for their own actions, but the reality is that they don't. People are sue happy all over the world, not just in Disneyland. The world is having to be more and more idiot-proofed all the time because people will do whatever they can to make a buck. As much as I dislike that idea, I have accepted that it is the way things are.

Now a little more back on the topic. I am all for a new "safe" Tom Sawyer's Island. I think the Redwood Creek Challenge trail is indeed a fun playground and even I have had fun in there. If they did something like this on Tom Sawyer's Island I would be very happy with the result, just because it is something fresh and new.

DisneyGuy03
01-31-2003, 07:09 PM
Don't blame the lawyers, blame the government, this theme park safety commision is making things harder and harder and I hate it.

mousketeer
01-31-2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by GeminiAngel
there is nothing wrong with safety!!!!! I would love to see a soft play area. :D As sad as it is, Times change. That's why we record, and photograph, for the memories. People are out for a buck anyway they can get it By that I mean "sue happy". I'm sure the island would have stayed the same if it were not for people like this. I will applaud Disney, if they can restore and rebulild the island with a realistic look and feel. And, all I can say is they could have just scrapped the whole thing, at least they are trying. On with the future!!!! To new memories!!!! :D

The only problem with that is the facts that Disney is demolishing its heritage. The fort really isn't a safety hazard. The rock climbing, on the other hand, is. It would be a great shame to see Fort Wilderness bulldozed.

stitcher
02-01-2003, 01:32 AM
Unfortunately the destruction of the Fort is inevitable as it is apparently laden with termites. In other words it it more an issue of structural safety than personal safety.

As much as I am opposed to the idea of destroying the heritage of TSI, I will admit that times change, and unfortunately many parents no longer will take responsibility for there own actions, childrens actions, or lack thereof. This means that certain sacrifices must be made. IMHO it is possible to create a safe play area that conforms very well to continuing the theme:

With soft ground covering similar to that found at DPP and the RCCT
A similar lining could go in the "cielings" of the caves and be barely noticeable
A "waterhole" would be acceptable provided that it does not have the same downfall of Cosmic Wave(I'm sure Disney learned their lesson on that;) :D)
Slides and other nice stuff that blends well to the scenery. RCCT is pretty good when it comes to doing that, but I think they could do even better on the island

Originally posted by Innerspaceman:

I hope they don't restore the suspension and pontoon bridges.

HA! It would serve you right..... :D
Besides the egg might actually look good:~D

zapppop
02-01-2003, 06:49 AM
Your just jealous cause you didn't run across it when you had the chance, Rumpelstiltsken :~D

stitcher
02-01-2003, 08:06 AM
Um...er....I had my reasons!:rolleyes: :~D

HBTiggerFan
02-01-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by DisneyGuy03
Don't blame the lawyers, blame the government, this theme park safety commision is making things harder and harder and I hate it.

No, see if the lawyers weren't so quick to make a buck off of peoples own mistakes the theme park safety commission (is that even a real commission :confused: ) wouldn't even be in existence.

iSm, Aww come on, you can spare a little embarrassment for the joy of tens of thousands of kids can't you?

cemeinke
02-01-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by HB Tigger Fan
No, see if the lawyers weren't so quick to make a buck off of peoples own mistakes the theme park safety commission (is that even a real commission :confused: ) wouldn't even be in

Yeah, can some one provide some info about this "theme park safety commision?" I did a google search and couldn't find anything. Does it really exist? Who's on it? Who does it report to - The governor? the CPUC? A link to a website would be great.

Pirate Girl
02-01-2003, 11:17 AM
I don't understand something. Why can't Disney just put up a sign that says explore at your own risk and then hold people responsible? Their must be something that they can put up or write up or something that will prevent law suits??? :confused:

Pirate Girl
02-01-2003, 11:26 AM
While I was reading this post something occured to me. This summer I am going to DL with a bunch of people who have never been before. I had a DL map in my purce (as I always do) and we were looking at it at lunch one day. One of the guys saw TSI on there and got so excited. He had seen some Disneyland special on the Disney Channel about TSI and had wanted to see it since. I was so sad that I had to tell him how they've changed it. He was so dissapointed. It's terrible what has happened to TSI, but at least we have the memories of it (swingin the suspention bridge is my earliest DL memory). What is really sad to me is the fact that my children (when I have them), and even my little brothers will never experience it the way I did. :crying:

stan4d_steph
02-01-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by cemeinke
Yeah, can some one provide some info about this "theme park safety commision?" I did a google search and couldn't find anything. Does it really exist? Who's on it? Who does it report to - The governor? the CPUC? A link to a website would be great.

For those interested, here's the link to the CalOSHA page regarding the California regulation of theme parks.

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dosh/AmusementRides.htm

tiggerandtink
02-01-2003, 12:35 PM
It appears that the worlds of Disneyland and Chuck E. Cheese are on a collision course. I remember when I was a kid and would go to Chuck E. Cheese which was the only place I knew of that had AA like I had seen at DL. I thought it was great. Now, after 8 years of running a daycamp at the YMCA and taking numerous fieldtrips there I can say this: it isn't. Sure, the kids have fun, which is the important thing, and for that it does it's job, but it isn't great, meaning "Disney" great, and I hate seeing it influencing DL instead of the other way around. If a kid would be happier in a ballcrawl then Fantasyland then their parents should save themselves a load of money and go for pizza. Disneyland is a theme park, and not just any theme park, it's the best theme park, and in order to stay as such shouldn't lower itself to the standards of others. I know, someone is bound to comment that I don't have kids, but I've been to DL with kids, I've been surrounded by kids for a fairly long time and as some of you know we have one on the way, that being the case I would rather my child see DL the way most of us do (or did) rather than equate it with a supersized McDonald's playground. Memories are fueled by the imagination.
(steps off soapbox)

HBTiggerFan
02-01-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by tiggerandtink
Memories are fueled by the imagination.

Hear Hear!