PDA

View Full Version : Treasure and Trinkets: A Disneyland exit interview - OC Weekly, 1/31/03

Pages : [1] 2

Darkbeer
01-31-2003, 02:16 AM
Treasure and Trinkets: A Disneyland exit interview (http://www.ocweekly.com/ink/03/22/news-mathews.php) - OC Weekly, 1/31/03

An Q&A session with a former Disneyland Resort Cast Member.

QuikQuote: You recently left your job at Disneyland. How long did you work there?
I was at Disneyland for nearly a year. I’d rather not say where I worked exactly, but I was near New Orleans Square. I hated it.

Doodle Duck
01-31-2003, 04:14 AM
What a wonderful employee. A credit to defective Garbage Bags and low life Scum Buckets everywhere...and truely, what a loss to Disneyland to not have this delightful thief still in its employ.

Good grief.

tabacco
01-31-2003, 04:19 AM
What a jerk. It really bugs me that they printed something like that, because it'll make people think that all Cast Members are like that. It shouldn't, but you know it will. People think they're getting a glimpse into the mind of a CM, but what they're actually seeing is that of some jerk kid who didn't deserve to work there int he first place.

I think the thing that bugs me most is his response to question #2: "Um, no, not exactly. I found most of the employees two-faced: they claimed to like their jobs when they were near higher-ups, but bad-mouthed the place whenever afforded a sympathetic ear."

Argh!

mousey_girl
01-31-2003, 05:41 AM
It was interesting that the person refused to say where exactly he/she worked and then mentioned drawing a portrait. That sort of gives the location away. What a loser. Someone like that will be unhappy where ever they work. To justify stealing because you hate your job? Good riddance to bad rubbish.

innerSpaceman
01-31-2003, 11:39 AM
Hahahahah!

You get what you pay for.

This ain't the 50's no more. Kids today are not gonna be model employees when you pay and treat workers the way Disney does.

cstephens
01-31-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by tabacco
I think the thing that bugs me most is his response to question #2: "Um, no, not exactly. I found most of the employees two-faced: they claimed to like their jobs when they were near higher-ups, but bad-mouthed the place whenever afforded a sympathetic ear."

I'm wondering if he was one of those...

CanuckfromBC
01-31-2003, 12:10 PM
That is all I have to say!!

Cadaverous Pallor
01-31-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
Hahahahah!

This ain't the 50's no more. Kids today are not gonna be model employees when you pay and treat workers the way Disney does. Um, if I don't like the way a company is treating me, I quit. I don't steal things.

What they did was wrong. Period.

mad4mky
01-31-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
Hahahahah!

This ain't the 50's no more. Kids today are not gonna be model employees when you pay and treat workers the way Disney does.

It's amazing that you go into the parks at all ism. Why do you bother?:rolleyes:

I'm not condoning what the kid did. It was wrong. But goodness, do you think he was going to get paid a bundle more for working at Six Flags?? Get real here. It's an amusement park. You don't make Electrical Engineer wages at an amusement park...

MammaSilva
01-31-2003, 03:12 PM
hmmmmm go apply for a job that advertises it's wages, then justify being a thief because the said wages were deemed inadequate...

novel concept.....

Don
01-31-2003, 03:19 PM
THIS PERSON IS AN ABSOLUTE PAINFUL RECTAL ITCH. What an idiot. Talk about your selfish, self-centered pieces of trash. Disney didn't owe him a damn thing. If he didn't like it there, have the guts to quit without taking the coward's way out and stealing as a way to get "even". Fate's a funny thing. Someday, somewhere, his behavior and attitude will bite him in his sorry backside and the rest of us will be better for it. What a punk.

EandCDad
01-31-2003, 03:34 PM
I also thought it was funny that he was being all sneaky about where he worked in the first question and then basically stated later that he worked at the potrait area in New Orleans Square (I didn't get if he drew the pictures or just worked the register).

As far as the stealing goes. Some of the posts seem to be responding to the idea that he said he stole because he was being paid bad wages. He never actually said that. He talked about how guests were "condescending" and was asked this question:

How did you respond?

I stole food. I stole treasure. I sneaked friends in as often as possible. I hoarded as many Disney trinkets as I could in order to make money on eBay.

He's basically saying that to get back at guests being jerks, he is going to steal from Disney. That makes no sense. "uh, yes, when a guest yelled at me, I stole a muffin, ooooooooooo face!"

On a completely different topic: I don't want to respond for InnerSpaceman, but I don't think he was saying that what the guy did was justified by what Disney paid him or how he was treated. I think he was saying that the type of employee you get when you treat them and pay them the way Disney does, is more likely to be a big idiot like this guy.

I'm not saying I agree with that (in fact, I don't) but I think we should yell at InnerSpaceman for what he actually did say, not what he didn't.

(note: my interpretation could be way off, so I hope innerSpaceman gets here eventually to clear it up)

innerSpaceman
01-31-2003, 04:44 PM
Thanks EandCDad, for trying to clear things up on my behalf.

It's true, I do not in any way condone stealing and/or pilfering from one's employer. It's also true that the less you pay your employees and the lower your employee morale is, the more low quality employees you will have.

The vast majority of all theft from businesses is done by employees of those businesses. So let's not get all in a snit because it happens at Disney. It probably even happens to a greater extent at Disneyland because, as this goober of an ex-CM mentioned, stolen items can fetch a high price on the e-bay black market.

Let me be clear, I think the guy interviewed is a jerk. I've known many CMs in my day, and they've all been good, high-quality folks. But from these CMs, and from countless Disneyland guests, I have heard tales of the scummy CMs. Disneyland used to be a place that weeded those kind of folks out - and ended up with an almost uniformly high quality staff despite treatment and wage. In recent years, this has no longer been the case.

So this guy in the interview was a scamming skunk - but before placing all the venom on him alone, look and see if there's a larger problem at work.

oregonzooron
01-31-2003, 07:33 PM
My question is this: Just how is this newsworthy?

What kind of journalism is practiced at the OCR that devotes column space to something like this? It sounds more like a couple of teenagers gabbing on a bus than a professional interview.

No one who works with young people (and I am making a huge leap that this is a young person, I realize) would be surprised at the attitude shown here. There are a few at the zoo every season who just don't get it. They don't last long.

How is this story relevant in a major news market, other than exposing an egocentric lack of work ethic among a small protion of our young people?

Maybe it was a reeaally slow news day. But how many of those have we had in recent memory?

see you at the zoo

ron

Darkbeer
01-31-2003, 08:14 PM
Two points...

The article is from the Weekly paper called the OC Weekly, NOT the Orange County Register. The two papers have nothing in common except the distribution area!

And the guy interviewed is a total IDIOT!:eek:

EandCDad
01-31-2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by oregonzooron
How is this story relevant in a major news market, other than exposing an egocentric lack of work ethic among a small protion of our young people?

Most of this will be my opinion of the OC Weekly and their goal for publishing this interview.

The OC Weekly is the local "alternative" newspaper. As its name implies, it is published weekly. The paper would be considered "left-leaning" by most people (although I'd guess innerSpaceman probably considers it too conservative ;) ). They are big on exposing corruption, malfesance, and greediness in the corporate world.

I think they probably printed it as a way of showing that the "Happiest Place on Earth" is really not so happy. This was intended to be an indictment of Disney, not the employee. It was sorta "see, in this land of capitalist wonder all the employees have fake smiles and basically hate your guts when they aren't stealing the company blind, let the workers unite!"

tabacco
01-31-2003, 09:37 PM
I'm kind of annoyed that there's no contact information for the author. I'd LOVE to write him a response to that interview :)

Darkbeer
01-31-2003, 10:10 PM
There is a comments e-mail at the bottom of the main page, I presume the webmaster would pass on the message...

http://www.ocweekly.com/

cryan71
01-31-2003, 10:43 PM
"Disneyland used to be a place that weeded those kind of folks out - and ended up with an almost uniformly high quality staff despite treatment and wage. In recent years, this has no longer been the case. "

I think innerspaceman will agree that once I stopped working at the park, its gone downhill since. That's the theory I am holding on to.

desperately holding on to...

Ace
01-31-2003, 11:03 PM
ugh. that cm is such a scumbag. it's like they were forcing him or her to work there mercilessly. I bet they probably didn't even pay him either. what a mean company disney is. It's a good thing they bothered to contact a cm who likes his, job though. maybe they would have had such a hard time finding somebody like that, though. oh well.

TP2000
02-01-2003, 02:15 AM
I posted this reply on LP yesterday, but I might as well do it here too...

The OCWeekly is about the only "newspaper" (term used very lightly) in SoCal that could get away with this type of junk journalism.

Just about every city of 500,000 or more has one of these types of rags. They're lots of fun to read, if only to marvel at the self-absorbed rantings of painfully liberal kids who bar-crawl through their communties pool halls and dive bars scoping out "new music" or some such triviality of life.

Too bad this guy in the article doesn't live in America, where you are free to work at whichever job you can get hired at. Why didn't he try Del Taco or Wal-Mart if Disneyland was too hard for him?

oregonzooron
02-01-2003, 08:06 AM
Okay, I get it now. Yes, every city has it's "alternative press".

Putting this in context of our own Village Voice wannabe, it all starts to make sense.

"We'll rake muck, even if we have to crawl in it to do so."

see you at the zoo

ron

Don
02-01-2003, 09:07 AM
For over 20 years I worked for two major retailers doing nothing but apprehend employees who stole from the company. I caught a gamut from executives to security to hourly workers. Their motivations for doing these acts were many and varied, and yes, they were all PAINFUL, RECTAL ITCHES , just like the person in this article. Innerspaceman, the only large problem at work here is this person's inability to keep his hands off things are not his to take. When it is broken down to its basics, a thief is a thief. This person does not admit to another situation that forced his hand, i.e. financial troubles or some other mitigating reason for him to do this. He stole for revenge, the worst reason there is. I would have loved to be the person that sent his sorry a$$ to jail.

adriennek
02-01-2003, 10:16 PM
Please don't circumvent the autocensors by using $'s. Circumventing our censor list is a violation of our community policies. You can click on the preview button to see if your language will be censored and if it is, you can choose another word instead. Thanks.

Adrienne K

TP2000
02-02-2003, 01:40 AM
oregonzooron- >>"Okay, I get it now. Yes, every city has it's "alternative press"."<<

If I remember oregonzooron, the Portland version of this type of newspaper is the Willamette Weekly. However, I think the OC Weekly is a slightly more self-absorbed and adolescent version of the Willamette Weekly. When I've been in Portland and had the chance to pick up the WW, I remember there actualy being a few stories of interest amongst all the "look at how liberal and cool we are" angst and cynicism.

The OC Weekly isn't quite as legitimate as Willamette Weekly, and is literally filled with these types of silly jabs at major county employers, stories on new bars, stories on new night clubs, stories on new taverns, and stories about the garage bands that play in those varying establishments. Plus there's a large amount of ads for plastic surgery, tatoo parlors, botox parlors, teeth whitening clinics, and personal ads.

It's funny what Freedom Of The Press can offer you, isn't it?