PDA

View Full Version : The Monorail Cafe

FantasmicFan82
07-19-2001, 08:08 PM
Does any miss it? I do.
That was always the easiest place for lunch or dinner outside the park.

Hades
07-19-2001, 08:50 PM
Well, I get to see a bit of it everyday I eat lunch at work.

The cast cafe at the DLH Administration Building (what we CM's like to call BOB for short, as in Big Orange Building ;) ) has recently put up some memorabilia from the old DLH days just before the Resort expansion. On the wall now hangs the framed bevelled glass from the door of Mickey's corner (where I used to work) and the mega greeting card made for the final day of The Monorail Cafe (also framed) which was signed by everyone that came to the cafe during it's final week of operations.

Just a little bit of behind the scenes info for ya!:)

Morrigoon
07-19-2001, 11:58 PM
You know what the resort (hotels in particular) needs?
A 24 hour cafe, something like monorail cafe was. Simple food, coffee shop atmosphere, with a little disney sparkle to it. But I always thought Monorail Cafe should have been 24 hours. They should build a new one - give it the old name, but maybe decorate in a new way. Wouldn't it be neat to have a Monorail Cafe that had pics of all the monorail types all over it? Or better yet... a place dedicated to Disneyland transportation! It could have pics/memorabilia of Monorail, Skyway, Peoplemover, Main Street Vehicles, and of course, the DLRR. Also it could use the boats etc. Maybe they could design it so that after hours, they could shut off most of the restaurant (sliding glass doors or sliding shutters, something attractive like that), leaving only a front section with a few booths and a counter open. I think the resort's big enough to support a 24 hour place now, don't you think? Sure beats Denny's/IHOP! (I had the worst experience involving a waiter there, but you might be eating so I'll keep the story to myself)

Napsto
07-22-2001, 02:49 AM
where was the monorail cafe exactly?

PirateoftheCaribbean
07-22-2001, 08:50 AM
I remember it. I couldn't explain the exact location (brain freeze).

Anyhoo, I loved it. I have a plastic cup, and some paper masks with Monorail Cafe emblems on them. I treasure them. What I remember most is the Milshakes and Cheesburgers. Those were excellent. A DL Must.

Napsto
07-22-2001, 09:29 AM
thannks for NOTHING.

just kidding!

Rhonda
07-22-2001, 11:46 AM
Do I miss it ? YES !! It was a favorite , must do place whenever we took a trip to DL . We would see the same people working there from year to year - that made you feel comfortable and at home . It was a nice break from the busyness of DL too . I bought a menu , a hat , a placemat and we have the kids meal cups and frisbees to remember it by .
What a great memory .. thanks for bringing it up !

Napsto
07-22-2001, 11:57 AM
Sweet memories.

PirateoftheCaribbean
07-22-2001, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Napsto
where was the monorail cafe exactly?

Anybody?

07-22-2001, 03:27 PM
As you faced the Disneyland Hotel from the Disneyland parking lot, it was on the left-hand corner.

Hades
07-22-2001, 06:28 PM
I'll paint a clearer picture for you. If you were to exit the monorail from the Disneyland Hotel station, come downstairs, and turn left at the bottom of the stairs (you would be standing where the Mickey's Corner shops would have been) and walked a little under 100 or so feet straight ahead, you would be at the Monorail Cafe.

It got it's name because of the view of the monorail you got as it made it's banking turn to the hotel monorail station.

The monorail track location is unchanged in that location, so the Monorail Cafe would have stood right where portions of Starabilia's and the AMC theater is now.

Gregmh48
07-22-2001, 06:55 PM
Does anyone have a map of some of these things before the expansion?

tlovesdis
07-23-2001, 09:17 AM
I loved the Monorail Cafe. It was the place to go for pretty decent food and pretty decent prices. I miss it!

Permanecer Sentados
07-23-2001, 09:52 AM
I want my blue plate specials back.

Seriously, I thought the MC was the best deal going. Portions were absolutely HUGE by Disney standards.

I liked the placemats where you had to find Mickey in their take off of "Where's Waldo?".

amynicole22
07-23-2001, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Hades
the mega greeting card made for the final day of The Monorail Cafe (also framed) which was signed by everyone that came to the cafe during it's final week of operations.

My mom signed this! She got me a souvenir plastic cup and T-Shirt to remember it by. I loved the Monorail Cafe. We had a meal there every DL trip when I was a kid. The best was the Corned Beef Hash special breakfast. Man - I miss that place.

b. jamieson
07-23-2001, 06:41 PM
Does anyone remember the skinny waitress with the big glasses? Bet I would know 99% of you or your kids. I am so happy you remember the Monorail Cafe with such fond memories. It closed August of '99 most cast members transfered to Hook's or Goofy's and a few have since retired.

During the 26 years I served breakfast at the MC many of guests were just as excited to see the CM as thry were to be at DL. That last summer many families, now three generations, came to visit for the last time. It was a sad time but we were all looking forward to the opening of DCA.

The AP loved us, some came for breakfast then rode the Monorail to DL, others came for lunch, ALL became our special friends. One of my favorites AP is Gwen who has ridden Indy over 5,000 times. That's right, 5,000 and several times with Tony Baxter and Ms. Harris.

Those were the good old days!!!

PirateoftheCaribbean
07-23-2001, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by p. jamieson
Does anyone remember the skinny waitress with the big glasses?

I remember you! How cool. I'm really bad at remembering CM's, but I remember. Those were good times. It was my first trip when Matterhorn wasn't closed for refurb., we went afterwards to MC. Thanks for the memories...:D

mcampisi
07-24-2001, 01:25 PM
I miss the cafe and Mazie's Pantry! I understand change is part of the plan, but somehow the Disney Hotel (which I still love) has lost a bit of the charm it used to have. Tinkerbell's toy shop, the submarine arcade, paddle boats.

Lacrosse Boy
07-25-2001, 01:48 PM
The Monorail Cafe sounds cool.