PDA

View Full Version : Pardoned Turkeys

Pages : [1] 2

sierranevada
11-03-2009, 12:53 PM
Just curious, do the pardoned turkeys go to Disneyland or WDW this year?

kerrystevenson
11-03-2009, 02:06 PM
I thought I read they are going to Disneyland.

dsny1mom
11-03-2009, 05:19 PM
They will be in DL right next to Celebration Barbeque.

dsny1mom

darph nader
11-03-2009, 07:57 PM
They will be in DL right next to Celebration Barbeque.

dsny1mom

Coincidence,,,,,,,hmmm? :D
What? :cool:

dban3
11-03-2009, 08:36 PM
Does it really make sense to send a pardoned turkey to a Disney park when turkey legs are consumed by the hundreds if not thousands every day? Hope that turkey sleeps with at least one eye open......

tod
11-04-2009, 08:28 AM
Does it really make sense to send a pardoned turkey to a Disney park when turkey legs are consumed by the hundreds if not thousands every day? Hope that turkey sleeps with at least one eye open......

No, it doesn't make sense. You saw what happened last year right after Sarah Palin pardoned the turkey. They save one, the rest are on their way to the dining table.

I don't see the point of pardoning a turkey anyway. The person doing the pardoning isn't going to abstain from turkey and have sliced tofu for Thanksgiving.

--t

danyoung
11-04-2009, 09:20 AM
To me it makes no more or less sense than planning on how much winter you're going to have by the shadow of a ground hog. It's just another of the silly things we do as a people.

K & S
11-04-2009, 12:28 PM
Last year's pardonees, Pumpkin and Pecan, came to Disneyland.

I remember laughing at the thought of buying a first-class airline ticket only to be seated next to a turkey bound for Disneyland.

:D

K & S
11-04-2009, 12:31 PM

It goes along with all the Thanksgiving decorations with happy turkeys on them. Turkeys have nothing to smile about in November.

mistofviolets
11-06-2009, 09:45 AM
I don't see the point of pardoning a turkey anyway. The person doing the pardoning isn't going to abstain from turkey and have sliced tofu for Thanksgiving.

The tradition goes back to Abe Lincoln, whose son didn't realize that the Turkey they were given for Thanksgiving was being pampered for slaughter.
There was a sweet children's book about it. My kids liked that one, and the one about a Christmas tree in the White House.

findingmickey
11-06-2009, 03:06 PM
Lincoln famously pardoned a turkey. But several presidents actually pardoned turkeys.. (we think they were presented two live turkeys every year) but it didn't become an annual tradition until recently.

this is what we came up after doing some research last year...

Official Presidential turkey pardons were not granted until 1989, when President George H.W. Bush pardoned the tom turkey that was gifted by the National Turkey Federation and the Poultry and Egg National Board. The board traditionally presents the White House with a few dressed turkeys and one live one (in the past several years, TWO). Other Presidents, Harry S. Truman & John F. Kennedy have spared the live turkeys, but neither granted official presidential pardons. The idea for pardoning supposedly came from President Ronald Reagan, who joked about pardoning the gifted live turkey. However, it was President George Herbert Walker Bush who finally followed through on the idea, creating a new American tradition.

Though the official tradition started in 1989, the pardoned turkeys did not come to Disneyland until 2005, where the official turkey (and the alternate) were flown to California to act as Grand Marshall in the Thanksgiving Day Parade. Since 2005, the pardoned turkeys have been invited to become lifelong residents of the Big Thunder Ranch in Frontierland.

Every Fall, the Official White House website runs an annual contest to name the two pardoned turkeys.

2008 - Pumpkin & Pecan
2007 - May & Flower
2006 - Flyer & Fryer
2005 - Marshmallow & Yam
2004 - Biscuit & Gravy

http://findingmickey.squarespace.com/disneyland-facts/frontierland/1678952

Karin
11-06-2009, 03:25 PM
I think the turkies have come to DL for at least the last 3 years, if not further back. I remember Yam and Marshmallow from 2 years ago, too.

LLCMC
11-06-2009, 04:11 PM
Don't they alternate between WDW and DL? I was pretty sure that's how it was, correct me if I'm wrong. If that is the case, Disneyland got them last year, so they would be going to WDW this time around...

AaronInCal
11-07-2009, 09:08 PM
WDW had the turkeys 2 years ago. But it was not as good at when Disneyland has them. I believe the turkeys are only available for guests to see on Thanksgiving Day. Then they are sent to a farm to live out their lives. At Disneyland, they have a nice pen for them at Big Thunder Ranch. All the ones Disneyland has had live almost to the following Thanksgiving or maybe they stop showing them in the pen in the Fall. One turkey from last year was in there at least into early October when I last saw him. Have yet to hear where this year's turkeys will be going.

findingmickey
11-08-2009, 12:38 AM
From 1989 to 2004, the pardoned turkeys were sent to a Petting Zoo called Kidwell Farm at Frying Pan Park in Virginia.

Since 2005, the turkeys have been sent to Disneyland to act as Grand Marshalls in Disneyland's Thanksgiving Day Parade. (As far as we know, they're just being sent to Disneyland, not WDW.)

We also think that Disneyland has had them on display well after Thanksgiving. We have photos of the turkeys from 2007 & 2008 in well into December.

DizneyMommy
11-08-2009, 06:12 AM
I do remember one year they were sent to WDW, too. I think it's neat to see them, my DD always wants to walk by and say hi, especially when they have fun names like Marshmallow

cstephens
11-08-2009, 09:38 AM
Since 2005, the turkeys have been sent to Disneyland to act as Grand Marshalls in Disneyland's Thanksgiving Day Parade. (As far as we know, they're just being sent to Disneyland, not WDW.)

OK, just to add to the conflicting information, we had a tour of the Circle D farm a couple weeks ago, and the CM giving our tour said that DL and WDW trade off every year as to who gets the turkeys. She also said that the turkeys who come to DL live out the rest of their lives there.

danyoung
11-08-2009, 09:56 AM
^^^ This was my recollection as well - that they went to Florida one year and California the next.

LLCMC
11-08-2009, 10:27 AM
^^^ This was my recollection as well - that they went to Florida one year and California the next.

Exactly.... thought I was going crazy, no one else seemed to know what I was talking about!

kfreak
11-08-2009, 10:33 AM
Does anyone have the website to vote for the pardoned turkeys names for this year? I wanna vote.

quackinup
11-08-2009, 11:28 AM
Does anyone have the website to vote for the pardoned turkeys names for this year? I wanna vote.

I believe it is on the White House website, but I couldn't find it there.

(I want Drumstick and Cranberry Sauce)

AVP
11-08-2009, 11:33 AM
I like "Dinner" and "Leftovers" personally. :~D

kfreak
11-08-2009, 12:07 PM
I like "Dinner" and "Leftovers" personally. :~D

I like Ham and Cheese.

quackinup
11-08-2009, 12:24 PM
Hey...you batter those turkeys named ham and cheese and you have a Monte Cristo. :D

sierranevada
11-08-2009, 01:25 PM
OK, just to add to the conflicting information, we had a tour of the Circle D farm a couple weeks ago, and the CM giving our tour said that DL and WDW trade off every year as to who gets the turkeys. She also said that the turkeys who come to DL live out the rest of their lives there.

Exactly.... thought I was going crazy, no one else seemed to know what I was talking about!

That's what I thought also which is why I asked. I thought they went to DL last year which would mean if it alternates, it would be WDW this year.