PDA

View Full Version : Would the Great Movie Ride Work in DCA?

Niwel
01-30-2003, 02:27 PM
I know the big quandry with DCA is why the heck would anyone want to go to a theme park about California is they were there ... but even though the ACTUAL Chinese Theater is 30 miles or so from the park, could DCA support this fabulous attraction from MGM Studios?

I wonder this everytime I go to the Hollywood Pictures Backlot. The only problem I can see is space since they are using the only really available expansion area for TOT ... but perhaps if they took out "Hollywood and Dine" as well as Superstar Limo and made use of the area BELOW the parks it could work.

Am I just fantasizing or is this feasible? :)

Tigertail777
01-30-2003, 02:42 PM
well, they would have to do some new budget shuffling because DCA has no real budget for AA maintenace. As I understand it, they have DL's AA techs come over for occassional fixes with bugs life AA's. The yreally havnt gottheir own AA maintenace budget which they would need as AA's need fixes on a daily basis. For a major AA ride like great movie, it would need its own AA crew to do maintenace on a daily basis.
All that aside, it could possibly work... it sure would help fix up the movie backlot area...especially if they have new scenes and AA's in comparison the florida version.. making it a different ride.

cstephens
01-30-2003, 02:47 PM
I vote no because I wasn't that impressed with the ride itself at WDW.

Sheila
01-30-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by cstephens

What, didn't you like Bruce Willis in Armageddon in the ending movie montage? You know, the one that shows clips from the classic movies of all time. :rolleyes:

Talk about your synergy! Sticking in a mediocre movie in with the greats just because your company produced it. I kind of liked the campiness of the ride up till that point; afterwards, my opinion definately was lowered.

Sheila

innerSpaceman
01-30-2003, 03:20 PM
Ha, guess I must have missed the Armaggedon version!

Still, if you're going to have a movie back-lot land in a Disney theme park, and you've already paid to develop the ultimate movie-backlot attraction (i.e., the Great Movie Ride), it is - duh - simple leap of logic to include that attraction in such park.

Granted, I do not think the GMR is the be-all and end-all of AA attractions, but it is elaborate, it does fit the movie theme, and - though certainly not everybody's cup of tea - it is a genuine E-Ticket. The only thing keeping it out of DCA is the total and complete cheapness of the place.

hbquikcomjamesl
01-30-2003, 04:21 PM
Because I didn't have time to ride it any more than twice. :D Ditto for Ellen and Imagination, and (back in November 2000) Timekeeper and Carousel of Progress.

LIMANDL4EVA
01-30-2003, 05:19 PM
But i heard the show building for TGMR is HUGE, gigantic, ENORMOUS, like bigger than Indy or Space, am I wrong? but I dont think there is THAT much free space in HPB, maybe if you tore out EVERYTHING past Animation, (Tower, Hyperion, Muppet, Millionaire, Hollywood n dine, and Superstar), and then built all the way to the street then i suppose a building that large could fit, but Realistically i dont think there is nearly enough room

BTW...its 22 minutes long!!

cstephens
01-30-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Sheila
What, didn't you like Bruce Willis in Armageddon in the ending movie montage? You know, the one that shows clips from the classic movies of all time. :rolleyes:

Ah, no, since we were there over three years ago, we thankfully were there before that.

DisneyGuy03
01-30-2003, 09:43 PM
Actually, there is more expansion room available, there is: The old loading area for the Hotel Shuttle, the remainder of the Timon lot (this would also free up mor eloading area space to be expanded into and send more trams to the structure).....They could by the convention center, if they don'tm own it already and build bridges/tunnels to get you over there (obviously this wouldn't work for the back lot area, but you could put more attractions there) There are many places that attractions could be put, you just have to be creative with it is all.

hbquikcomjamesl
01-31-2003, 09:06 AM
BTW...its 22 minutes long!!True, but Ellen's around 40 minutes.

mad4mky
01-31-2003, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by cstephens

I am just opposite. I LOVED the ride. It was one of my kid's favorite rides in MGM.
I think it fits right in with the themeing of DCA...for the Hollywood section...
This ride would have been 500% better in Hollywood than that stupid "SuperStar Limo":(
That ride is idiotic...

DisneyFan25863
01-31-2003, 07:16 PM
as much as I like the ride, It would be j u s t a n o t h e r W D W r i p o f f . . . . . . . .

BTW: no no on the bridges, Harbor and Katella are emergency runways for two nearbye airports.

(on TOT in DCA)
"OOOOOOOHHHHHH! Daddy, look at the pretty fire breathing ghost coming from the sky!"

"Honey, I don't think thats at CRASH BANG BOOM WHOOP WHOOP ERRRRRRR WHHHHHOOOOOOO ghost!"

screamin4ever
02-01-2003, 10:10 AM
It looks like most of the new attractions are going into Hollywood. I would rather not have another one. Spend the money to build out the Timon lot.

Tref
02-01-2003, 10:31 AM
That ride is a disaster, its so dull and lifeless. It would be a mistake.

cemeinke
02-01-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by DisneyFan25863
BTW: no no on the bridges, Harbor and Katella are emergency runways for two nearbye airports.

So, in the event of an emergency do they quickly bulldoze the medians, and pull down the powerlines so the plane can land without obstructions?

DisneyGuy03
02-01-2003, 01:28 PM
Really.....I don't think they are anymore, due to heightened security in the area, I believe those are no fly zones (yes it has been vilolated recently), but I do believe that is restricted air space, much like over Qualcomm stadium, here in San Diego, due to terrorist threats. If it isn't, it should be, but I remember they did enact this shortly after Sept. 11th, doesn't mean everyone has respected this, but that the rules were put in place.

danyoung
02-01-2003, 02:42 PM
I'd certainly enjoy a GMR-ISH kind of ride, but not an exact clone. The format lends itself to all kinds of interesting scenes. But the general feeling in Florida is that this ride is more or less on its last legs. I'd hate to see it go (and I'm sure it won't be going anytime soon), but I'd say it's got a snowball's chance in Anaheim of moving to the West Coast.

Nigel2
02-01-2003, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by cemeinke
So, in the event of an emergency do they quickly bulldoze the medians, and pull down the powerlines so the plane can land without obstructions?

I wonder if he is thinking of the way the highways were designed during the huge highway building project.

TP2000
02-02-2003, 01:53 AM
I remember the old Harbor Blvd. runway thing. If I remember correctly, that was something enacted in the 1960's as sort of a civil defense thing. I don't think anyone would actually ever try and get a plane to land on Harbor, but it probably looked nice on paper to the FAA boys from Washington DC. I wonder what the status is on that? Do they still use those types of emergency preparedness plans nowadays? Or did those types of things go the way of civic fallout shelters and CONELRAD stations on your car's AM Radio dial?

Getting back on topic, I don't think the Great Movie Ride would be worth the expense and hassle to put into DCA. I have been on it once, and I wasn't too terribly impressed. I thought it was better than some of the Omnimover attractions in the EPCOT Future World pavilions, but I'm not sure that it is good enough to be copied and repeated. It seemed a bit slow, and the AA's seemed just a bit too hokey and rickety. Maybe it was because those sets are so well lit up, like a sound stage obviously, unlike other big AA rides like Pirates and Mansion and Indy where the AA's are dramatically lit in the dark? Whatever the case, I thought it was a "cute" ride and fairly unique, but I'm not sure I would ever need to do it again.

I think DCA needs something really "WOW!" if it's going to go to the expense of a AA spectacular. The Great Movie Ride wasn't a "WOW!" for my family, it was just sort of a "that was nice, now what?" type of thing.

There are so many great themes they could use for a Animatronic based attraction for DCA; the Gold Rush, the Missions, San Fransicco, the SoCal beach culture, etc. DCA needs something new and "WOW!", not a "nice" 15 year old retread from Walt Disney World. They really have to stop copying rides at some point and take a chance with something new and untried before.

Doodle Duck
02-02-2003, 07:49 AM
Something I hate to do...but lets consider the budget. Way out of line for DCA.
Hollywood just needs a simple addition...

Take Stupid Star Limo...leave the ride system and do a tour through Mickey's life...start with Black and White scenes and progress through the history of the rodent. Doesnt have to be that expensive (heck...they could use old figures from the Disney Stores!).
Plenty of room for a new dark ride or an expansion by using the wasted space of the Hollywood and Dine and that useless fake 'soda fountain'. PLENTY of room.

LIMANDL4EVA
02-02-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by DoodleDuck(A.E)
Something I hate to do...but lets consider the budget. Way out of line for DCA.
Hollywood just needs a simple addition...

Take Stupid Star Limo...leave the ride system and do a tour through Mickey's life...start with Black and White scenes and progress through the history of the rodent. Doesnt have to be that expensive (heck...they could use old figures from the Disney Stores!).
Plenty of room for a new dark ride or an expansion by using the wasted space of the Hollywood and Dine and that useless fake 'soda fountain'. PLENTY of room.

That is seriously the best idea I have heard for the use of Super Star Limo.

BRAVO!:D

stitcher
02-03-2003, 06:36 PM
I second that!

:D

DisneyFan25863
02-03-2003, 08:04 PM
I don't know about all the powerlines and junk, but in case of an emergency where a life was at stake, I'm sure that they would'nt let them land a SMALL plane on one side of the street. (I'm talking a small, personal plane)

DisneyFan25863
02-03-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by DisneyFan25863
I don't know about all the powerlines and junk, but in case of an emergency where a life was at stake, I'm sure that they would let them land a SMALL plane on one side of the street. (I'm talking a small, personal plane)

DisneyFan25863
02-03-2003, 08:05 PM
sorry, my edit feature got messed up!