PDA

View Full Version : What's going on with parking

Pages : [1] 2 3

jdee
10-21-2009, 12:14 PM
I was at DL last Friday and because it was so busy and didn't arrive until 2PM (love LA traffic) the parking structure was closed and was diverted to the lot south of the park on Harbor, called Buzz Lightyear. I noticed they are grading the lot, so what are the plans for this area? At one time there was talk of another theme park.

Darkbeer
10-21-2009, 12:26 PM
I was at DL last Friday and because it was so busy and didn't arrive until 2PM (love LA traffic) the parking structure was closed and was diverted to the lot south of the park on Harbor, called Buzz Lightyear. I noticed they are grading the lot, so what are the plans for this area? At one time there was talk of another theme park.

Currently they are building another parking lot. The permit with the City of Anaheim is that it is only a "temporary" lot for the next few years. The plan is to have the lot open by mid-December, in time for peak Christmas Season.

But this new lot does two things, first off, helps address the loss of the Timon Lot that is being used for the new Cars Land at DCA.

Second, it will help allow Disney to close down the Pumbaa Parking Lot on Disney Way (across the street from the Anaheim Garden Walk) and let them build a new parking structure on the site. When the structure is done, there should be no more need for the "temporary" lot at the site of the former Strawberry Field.

daveywest
10-31-2009, 08:09 AM
Yesterday at 10 am, we were directed to the garden walk parking. Let's just say that was a little chaotic. It seemed like even the cast members directing traffic weren't sure what was going on.

We ended up eating dinner in downtown Disney, so I figured I would walk all the way to the other side, ride the bus to gardenwalk and pick up the wife and kids. Thankfully, a wonderfull CM named Joshua let my wife use his cell phone to call me (she had left hers at the hotel). They had closed the access by Espn Zone - you know, the pick up/drop off lane for Downtown Disney?

But that was nothing compared to what we endured upon returning to the park arround 7:30. Traffic was now directed to Disney way, and at a complete standstill. We spent the next hour and 15 minutes inching arround to the back side of the park to Disneyland drive.

Thirty minutes later, we finally pass the empty ticket booth for the Pinocho lot. We've been in the car nearly two hours (on Disney property) at this point and only seen one cast member directing traffic the entire time. Even in the lot, there are no cast members, so it becomes a free for all of cars circling for the closest spot.

Boarding the tram was fine with little wait, but getting off became a nightmare. We were dropped off north of where you usually load for a return trip. There is very little lighting on that side. My six year old grabbed the rail and proceeded to walk straight into the dark green temporary barrier pushed to the right side in the shadow of the trees.

A big goose egg later, my wife is downright angry. (I almost want to appoligize to the CM at bag check, but she decided a thourgh inspection was more important then the kid with the big bump on his head.) Despite the crowd lined up for the fire works, we managed to make it down to the first aid station fairly easily. Thank you to those special CMs who always know what is most important.

Bytebear
10-31-2009, 09:26 AM
We have had similar parking problems, waiting over an hour (nearly two) just to park in the Gardenwalk. You should definiltely go to guest relations and tell them your troubles. They gave us a couple fastpasses, which helped make up for the time lost.

Darkbeer
10-31-2009, 10:05 AM
First off, last night was a mess in part due to the special DCA Trick or Treat party that evening. It really messes up the traffic flow patterns, as thousands of folks are showing up for the special event that started around 7 PM.

But as for parking in general, due to the construction for the DCA expansion, the former Timon entrance is pretty much not be used anymore.

If you come to Disneyland by going up I-5 northbound, you will more than likely be sent to Pumbaa, Anaheim GardenWalk, the Anaheim Convention Center or Buzz Lightyear and Pongo. And sometime soon, the new lot next to Buzz Lightyear and Pongo. They are redoing the traffic light patterns on Katella and Disney Way to help direct more traffic to the former Strawberry Field area. This will be the main secondary parking (other than the Parking Structure) once they closed down Pumbaa to build a new parking structure. But that is not expected to happen until at least a year from now. So just come prepared to find parking lots closed and the Anaheim PD directing you to secondary lots. Plain and simple, just too many cars compared to the amount of parking spaces available on-property.

cstephens
10-31-2009, 11:30 AM
First off, last night was a mess in part due to the special DCA Trick or Treat party that evening.

The OP encountered problems at 10am.

Darkbeer
10-31-2009, 11:40 AM
The OP encountered problems at 10am.

Not really, minor issue at 10 AM, but a MAJOR issue at the 7 PM hour...

But that was nothing compared to what we endured upon returning to the park arround 7:30. Traffic was now directed to Disney way, and at a complete standstill. We spent the next hour and 15 minutes inching arround to the back side of the park to Disneyland drive.

Thirty minutes later, we finally pass the empty ticket booth for the Pinocho lot. We've been in the car nearly two hours (on Disney property) at this point and only seen one cast member directing traffic the entire time. Even in the lot, there are no cast members, so it becomes a free for all of cars circling for the closest spot.

Boarding the tram was fine with little wait, but getting off became a nightmare. We were dropped off north of where you usually load for a return trip. There is very little lighting on that side. My six year old grabbed the rail and proceeded to walk straight into the dark green temporary barrier pushed to the right side in the shadow of the trees.

That is why I mentioned the Trick or Treat event, then talked about parking in general.

But parking is going to remain an major issue for the next few years until they can finally get the Pumbaa Parking Structure built and fully operating.

cstephens
10-31-2009, 11:55 AM
Not really, minor issue at 10 AM, but a MAJOR issue at the 7 PM hour...

I would consider being sent to GardenWalk parking at 10am a major issue. That early in the morning, there was no way the structure was full. And if you're there early, you get the inconvenience of parking really far away. Nice. If they'd been allowed to park at Mickey and Friends to begin with, there would have been no further issue with parking that evening.

The Mouse Is Back
10-31-2009, 11:56 AM
We arrived for the Halloween Treat at DCA this past Wednesday (10/28) evening and there was zero traffic going into M&F. I did intentionally arrive 45 minutes late in order to miss the traffic jam of early/on time guests.

I think a clarification is in order - WEEKENDS and holiday periods will be a big mess, not every day.

This reeks of poor planning on the part of Disney and the city of Anaheim. If you can't make a plan for construction problems and delays, TEST IT thoroughly to see if it really works, and implement it properly with a sufficient number of personnel keeping it running smoothly - you need to find another job that requires less brain power and focus.

A thousand, or even a few thousand, vehicles is nothing compared to the number of available spaces, even during the construction. We had a close to two hour wait one day a few months ago, and when M&F came into view, the top three levels were EMPTY.

No excuse for any of this. They need to get their act together.

Ally

Darkbeer
10-31-2009, 12:29 PM
I would consider being sent to GardenWalk parking at 10am a major issue. That early in the morning, there was no way the structure was full. And if you're there early, you get the inconvenience of parking really far away. Nice. If they'd been allowed to park at Mickey and Friends to begin with, there would have been no further issue with parking that evening.

There are TWO main entrances to Disneyland from Interstate 5. The Southbound I-5 is more popular as folks come from LA and places like the 91 freeway. That entrance was designed for the Parking Structure, including the flyover that goes over Ball Road.

The folks coming from the south (San Diego and South Orange County) use northbound I-5 and all the signage has you exit onto the Disney Way/Katella Avenue exit. It worked in 2001, as pretty much you took Disney Way west to the former Timon Parking Lot entrance off of Harbor. A straight pathway of only a few blocks, and there wasn't much other traffic on the roadway. Alas, as DCA started to expand, and the Timon lot got smaller, problems started to appear.

So Pumbaa started to get used more often, as it is right off of Disney Way just a block prior to Harbor. Fairly easy, though they do require Anaheim Police Officer to direct traffic, since they need to set up signage on the roadway (Public Street). And since Disney is now offering Bus service to the park when the lot is used, it is usually a better choice than the parking structure for many.

But when Disney finally had to closed down the entire Timon Lot for Cars Land, Disney made a deal with the Anaheim GardenWalk to use about half their current parking structure. AGW had extra parking spaces due to the planned Time Share units that have not yet been built. But AGW wants the parking finished by Noon, to not interfere with the folks driving to the complex to shop. Disney does set up their own Parking Toll Booths and have Anaheim PD direct traffic. It is a left off of Disney Way if you are coming off of I-5, so not bad traffic. They also send those folks coming down Harbor to turn east on Disney Way to enter AGW. (The former Timon Entrance is usually closed and blocked off currently).

They could have drove to the Parking Structure, but that can also be a mess. Years ago, coming up I-5 going north, I would avoid Disney Way and get off at Harbor Blvd. But that is a pain in the butt, as it is a tight turn from going one short block from the off-ramp to making a left turn onto Ball Road. If there is any sort of heavy traffic, it is basically impossible to go over the four lanes you need to do to make the turn at the light. And I have seen the traffic backed up all along Ball Road, especially on busy mornings. (If I did it this weekend, I would go all the way to Lincoln, make a left on Lincoln and then take the I-5 south one exit to Disneyland Dr, a basically large and long U-turn). Disney can't expect folks taking the I-5 northbound to have to do things like that. They will be directed to Disney Way or Katella Avenue to one of the alternative lots, which on busy days will be Buzz Lightyear, Pongo, and soon the new parking lot on the former Strawberry Field.

Also, FYI, Pumbaa and the AGW parking lots are CLOSER to the Main Entrance than the Mickey and Friends Parking Structure, and both lots do have Shuttle service provided when the lots are open for Theme Park use.

What I didn't understand from the OP, why did they move the car? Why didn't they leave it at AGW and just take the free Shuttle back to the park? (It drops off folks at the Lion King Tram/Shuttle area at the north end near the CM Shuttle Bus Stop).

Darkbeer
10-31-2009, 12:39 PM
I think a clarification is in order - WEEKENDS and holiday periods will be a big mess, not every day.

Actually Pumbaa has been open most every day now, and between Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving Week, and the Christmas Season, the parking issue will be a mess for the majority of the rest of the year, including many weekdays, including the CM Holiday Parties, which also mess up normal traffic flows, as Thousands of folks arrive around 6 PM to attend the events.

And January won't get much better, many schools are off the first week of January, the Rose Bowl has TWO games this year, the traditional game on the 1st, and the BCS National Championship on the 7th. Add to that the NAMM Show, the largest convention of the year, which happens to be the SAME weekend (Jan. 14th through the 17th) as the Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday weekend.

In February, you have Lincoln's BD, Valentine's Day, President's day, and man schools now get a week off for what many call Ski/Rodeo week.

And early March starts Spring Break crowds.

Alas, there are very few weekdays that are only scheduled for 10 AM to 8 PM, which is the hours that Disney uses when they expect low crowds.

Heck, Disney has already expanded hours for December 9th and 10th, both weekdays. (9 AM to 10 PM)

cstephens
10-31-2009, 01:02 PM
But AGW wants the parking finished by Noon, to not interfere with the folks driving to the complex to shop.

Wow, an entire lesson on how to get to the parking structure that I go to all the time, just to be told that Disney would rather play nice with a third-party vendor, no matter how much it inconveniences their own customers!

Darkbeer
10-31-2009, 01:16 PM
Wow, an entire lesson on how to get to the parking structure that I go to all the time, just to be told that Disney would rather play nice with a third-party vendor, no matter how much it inconveniences their own customers!

OK, Disney probably should have got the permits and built the planned parking lot next to Buzz Lightyear prior to closing the Timon Lot for Cars Land.

But they didn't, and purchased the rights to use some parking spaces from a close by location that had spaces available. Disney struck a deal with AGW, they became a marketing partner (I love the AP discounts they offer at AGW due to the agreement). ** Off-topic, had a great meal of Tempura and Shrimp for two includng side salads and drinks for less than $20 at Sen-Sai last week with the Ap discount). But it is AGW property, and they had the upper hand in making the rules.

So yes, Disney tends to not offer Pumbaa until they get AGW full on days they expect to need both lots. And heck, they are RIGHT across the street from each other. For those using I-5 North, it is the better choice than the Parking Structure, especially for the "casual" visitor.

Tinkermommy
10-31-2009, 01:35 PM
At 8 a.m. today, they were diverting westbound Ball Road traffic left on Harbor to park, presumably, at the AGW. Having heard about the nightmares trying to get there (friends spent over an hour in traffic going there), I went to the parking structure anyway. We were parked in the Pinocchio lot.

My ONLY gripe about this is that I couldn't figure out how to get out when we left around noon. The only exit signs pointed down rows that were blocked off with cones and/or barricades at the ends. The only other sign I saw pointed to "Parking." I drove around and around, not a cast member in sight, and decided I was going to leave the car to walk over to the tram area to find out how to get out when I saw another car, and followed it. Turned out the sign that said "Parking" led to the exit. The signs that said "Exit" all led to dead ends.

I can not believe that an entitly that caters to tourists and parks thousands of cars a day doesn't realize that people might need to be pointed to the way out, and that all of the "Exit" signs pointed to dead ends. Seriously?

Darkbeer
10-31-2009, 01:45 PM
At 8 a.m. today, they were diverting westbound Ball Road traffic left on Harbor to park, presumably, at the AGW.

Actually, that makes sense.

Disney on very busy days wants to save the Parking Structure to just those exiting off of Disneyland Drive from Southbound I-5, and divert as many cars as possible to altenative lots.

If you allow everyone to go to the Parking Structure first thing in the morning, the structure will fill up faster, and will have to close earlier in the day, which then requires all the Southbound I-5 traffic to be sent to alternative lots.

So if you take the people already on surface streets, and send them to lots that are designed to be access from surface streets, you are decrrasing the total amount of traffic on surface streets.

Disney has been doing things like that for years. Back when the Timon lot was being used, they tried and delay its opening as long as possible to save on labor and tram costs. Once the lot is open, then trams have to be offered the rest of the day, so they kept the lot "closed" early in the day, and only opened it up when the traffic got large enough to demand the use of the lot.

The city also works with Disney to try and keep traffic manageable in the area, and not just for Disney, but for the "locals". Also, Disney is required to pay for the needed traffic controls that they cause, including using the secondary lots. So Disney does factor all the different elements prior to deciding what to do, such as trying to use Simba for the Trick or Treat Parties.

houseof4
10-31-2009, 03:36 PM
We headed over today around 10:30 or 11:00... Took 57 south exited on Ball. As we neared the park there was a big sign that said theme park parking turn left on Harbor. Being the obedient people we are, we ignored the sign and continued on to M&F lot where we pulled in and parked quickly. Loaded on the first tram that pulled up and were in the park in no time. We only went to DCA which was absolutely empty.. walked on to all the rides in Bug's Land. We were only there for a quick trip something to kill time before trick or treating. We left at 3:15... by that time, the park had definitley started to fill up. We heard that DL was much busier. It's sad to say but I think by doing what we normally do, go straight to M&F lot, we haven't had any problems and we go 2 - 3 times a week. We will avoid parking anywhere else until they force us to and so far hasn't even been an issue.

Malcon10t
10-31-2009, 04:33 PM
We are staying at Hojos. Knowing the issues, had AdK come park here last night. So much easier!!!

That said, the trams arriving on the east side, where are they coming from? The ones that used to run from Timon?

adriennek
10-31-2009, 04:39 PM
We are staying at Hojos. Knowing the issues, had AdK come park here last night. So much easier!!!

You SERIOUSLY saved my tush last night. :)

Adrienne

houseofmouse
10-31-2009, 05:13 PM
Summer had some issues too. We were going I-5 North and got off at Disney Way and being the rule breakers we are totally went around the cones and signs and parked in the structure as well. No problems there.

I think they divert to save M&F parking for later during special events. I think WDW has parking way over Disneyland! They have CM's at all times of day available to help at least when we have been there.

daveywest
10-31-2009, 06:00 PM
We headed over today around 10:30 or 11:00... Took 57 south exited on Ball. As we neared the park there was a big sign that said theme park parking turn left on Harbor. Being the obedient people we are, we ignored the sign and continued on to M&F lot where we pulled in and parked quickly. Loaded on the first tram that pulled up and were in the park in no time. We only went to DCA which was absolutely empty.. walked on to all the rides in Bug's Land. We were only there for a quick trip something to kill time before trick or treating. We left at 3:15... by that time, the park had definitley started to fill up. We heard that DL was much busier. It's sad to say but I think by doing what we normally do, go straight to M&F lot, we haven't had any problems and we go 2 - 3 times a week. We will avoid parking anywhere else until they force us to and so far hasn't even been an issue.

Update from the OP: We intentionally drove around past the Grand Californian just to get to Mickey and friends this morning and got a nice spot on the third floor before noon.

So the lesson is avoid going north on harbor when you are trying to park.

daveywest
10-31-2009, 06:05 PM

That said, the trams arriving on the east side, where are they coming from? The ones that used to run from Timon?

They had the entrance to the convention center open, so they were all walk ins.

P.S. Should we look for you with any puppies this trip?

MouseVII
10-31-2009, 08:28 PM
What's up with the Simba lot? I've heard little mention of it in this thread. Are they just using it for DLR hotel guests?

evrythngwmn
10-31-2009, 08:37 PM
They still park Simba some days. Guess none of the posters here have ended up there.

MouseVII
10-31-2009, 08:58 PM
They still park Simba some days. Guess none of the posters here have ended up there.And looking at google maps I can see why. Looks a bit further away from the esplanade than Pumbaa and AGW, and throw in the fact it has no buses or trams.

I was thinking that Simba would be a better location for the new structure than Pumbaa because Simba can use trams which have a higher capacity than buses. Not to mention the quicker loading/unloading.

olegc
10-31-2009, 10:21 PM
the lesson here again seems to be that Disney management cuts deals and makes operational plans that seem to not use previous experience (we're talking years here) in order to make the guest experience the best it can be. I serious hope the new Pres tackles some of these issues... And if folks figure out that not following directions is actually better and more enjoyable - what do you think happens over time? no one listens to direction or CMs. so - if Disney gets it mostly right the first time and simply tweaks issues here and there in the long run this would be better for the parks..