PDA

View Full Version : How about a Yesterdayland section in Disneyland?

moofeet
10-28-2009, 04:18 PM
....Or Beforeland? Pastland? :)
I know this is Really reaching and I'm sure has been discussed before, but wouldn't a section of Disneyland dedicated to the attractions of the past be great? A section that, besides just keeping the memory alive of what made Disneyland such a great place in the 1st place, would even have functional attractions and rides from Disney's past (i.e. Innerspace, Peoplemover, Rainbow Caverns Mine Train, Captain EO etc.). I know there's lots of people here on the boards who long for the rides of the past. It just got me thinking how awesome that would be. Thoughts?? Good or Bad idea?

Z3ro to H3ro
10-28-2009, 04:21 PM
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery... but today is a gift. That is why they call it "the Present".

moofeet
10-28-2009, 04:25 PM
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery... but today is a gift. That is why they call it "the Present".

With that logic they should get rid of Tommorowland! :p

Bob Weaver
10-28-2009, 04:36 PM
I'd be in favor of any solution that would let classic attractions be rebuilt. However there are really only a handful of them that are really deserving. Basically Mine Train thru Nature's Wonderland, Adventure thru Inner Space, PeopleMover, Carousel of Progress, CircleVision 360 theater, Skyway, Flying Saucers, Skull Rock and Tahitian Terrace would be my choices to "bring back." A newer version of Motor Boat Cruise, called Boatopia, more exciting though, with rapids, curves and drops, might be worthwhile. A new version of Flight to the Moon, including a part where you actually get out of the rocket and walk on the moon's surface, would be nice too. But that's all I would put in a Yesterdayland and I would move on from there with all-new attractions to the park, along with clones of some of the best from other parks (Pooh's Hunny Hunt and Journey to the Center of the Earth, for 2 examples).

Z3ro to H3ro
10-28-2009, 04:56 PM
Bring back the Timon and Pumba Tram Ride, man!! :D

cstephens
10-28-2009, 05:11 PM
I know this is Really reaching and I'm sure has been discussed before, but wouldn't a section of Disneyland dedicated to the attractions of the past be great?

If something is still in the park, then it wouldn't be Yesterland.

I'd be fine with drawings and models and such of past attractions, like they had in the exhibit in the Opera House lobby. But a "museum" section of the park? Nope, thanks.

houseofmouse
10-28-2009, 05:46 PM
I actually agree with CStephans. :eek:

What is gone is gone. Move on....

oregontraveler
10-28-2009, 05:50 PM
Great idea, but I don't think it would catch on. However, the Luigi Spinning Tires ride in Carsland will be an updated version of the Flying Saucers.

MouseVII
10-28-2009, 07:17 PM
While I would love to ride some of the old attractions that were removed before my time, Disneyland needs to remember the past, not live in it. Retiring attractions to a "Yesterland" doesn't sound like a good way to create new ideas keep moving forward.

I like the drawings and models, like CStephens mentioned, to remember the old attractions, as well as the old posters that are up in Pizza Port.

CariBelle
10-29-2009, 07:56 AM
Rides get removed for a reason, no need to bring them back.

potzbie
10-29-2009, 08:22 AM
Bring these back?

• House of Tomorrow -- see what the 1990s (30 years hence) will bring to YOUR household. (Live in a house, made out of white plastic, in the shape of a cross, elevated on support pylons.)

• Hall of Science -- Try push-button telephoning vs. dialing. Try to beat a computer which cannot lose at tic-tack-toe.

Yeah. We can't wait. :|

Sesameguy
10-29-2009, 11:12 AM
A real "Yesterdayland" is a cool idea, as we all have favorites that we'd like to see again. (Yay Inner space!) But as was said, we can't hold on to every single thing we want to stay the same. I'm just thankful that Disneyland has remained very much the same in many ways. If they do something to start tearing the park itself out, then I'll really get ticked.

Bob Weaver
10-29-2009, 12:41 PM
Monsanto's House of the Future was cool and still seems futuristic when you look at pictures of it today, because nobody ever built an actual house like it, as far as I know. Same could be said for the entire "new Tomorrowland" of 1967 - still looks like a "city of the future."
The problem with removing rides (especially the ones Walt had a hand in designing) is that the newer ones that replace them are not as good as the old rides. If they were replacing them with better rides, I'd have no complaint. But the replacements are invariably less imaginative, less immersive and not up to Disneyland standards.

Drince88
10-30-2009, 11:08 AM
I'd be fine with drawings and models and such of past attractions, like they had in the exhibit in the Opera House lobby.
I don't recall if the Blue Sky Cellar identified what would be going in there when the current plans are fully put into place. Maybe they could use that for the drawings, models, and pictures?

TowerofTerror
10-30-2009, 11:45 AM
The Blue Sky Cellar only tell about the future plans of DCA

Drince88
10-30-2009, 12:55 PM
The Blue Sky Cellar only tell about the future plans of DCA

That's what it does NOW. What will it be in a couple of years when Carsland is all built? Why couldn't it be a 'yesterland' exhibit hall? It used to be a wine movie, and before that a wine movie/wine tasting.

IllusionOfLife
10-30-2009, 02:12 PM
I'm sorry but I'm going to have to disagree with this sentiment. Imagineering is about innovation and imagination, not rehashing everything that closed down 10 to 50 years ago. A Yesterland would be against many of the ideals that Walt founded the place on.

"Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things… and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.” - Walt Disney

If there is space that is being wasted and is not viable for another attraction then 'bringing back a classic' is justified, or if there is an attraction that was so beloved that is was a mistake to remove it in the first place. Those are the only exceptions to this. Time, however, has moved on and all but forgotten attractions like Mine Train through Nature's Wonderland and Adventures Thru Inner Space, I see no reason to bring them back.

Besides, Disneyland is already bursting at the seams. No reason to invest a lot of real estate in passed attractions.

oregontraveler
10-30-2009, 02:13 PM
That's what it does NOW. What will it be in a couple of years when Carsland is all built? Why couldn't it be a 'yesterland' exhibit hall? It used to be a wine movie, and before that a wine movie/wine tasting.

That's a good idea, what about using the 2nd floor of the Starcade for exhibit space.

cookie7762
10-31-2009, 05:56 PM
I agree that bring back outdated rides is not a good idea. While we would love them, they have lost their relevance in today's world and would not hold the interest of children. I do, however, think that yesterland would be cool to theme with decades of the 20th century. I'm a sucker for things like 50s soda shops and 80s parties. The rides don't have to be historic, just the theming.

Bob Weaver
11-02-2009, 06:37 PM
I would disagree, I think that kids today would be just as fascinated and entertained by the Mine Train thru Nature's Wonderland and just as captivated by Adventure thru Inner Space as I was as a kid.

dban3
11-02-2009, 07:58 PM
Technically, most of the People Mover still exists and could be resurrected at some point. The WDW version - Tomorrowland Transit Authority continues to run and has recently been re-opened after refurbishment (part of the larger Space Mtn refurbishment). The old Mine Train is gone forever but there are enough remnants of the original ride to keep old timers at least fondly remembering the past. What would be kind of cool is a very small museum of former ride vehicles. People pay big money for these things at special auctions.

mistofviolets
11-06-2009, 09:53 AM
Why not resurrect some of them into a "classic" futuristic image for tomorrowland? Choose a "future" theme to pull it all together. (Besides WALL*E or Star Wars.) Sure, it will not look sleek, modern, etc. However, it will satisfy the classic childhood craving for outer space/alien adventure that Walt envisioned when he designed the different lands.

zombie pirate
11-06-2009, 11:23 AM
It is fun to watch the old Walt Disney Presents about Disneyland.

IllusionOfLife
11-06-2009, 01:36 PM
Why not resurrect some of them into a "classic" futuristic image for tomorrowland? Choose a "future" theme to pull it all together. (Besides WALL*E or Star Wars.) Sure, it will not look sleek, modern, etc. However, it will satisfy the classic childhood craving for outer space/alien adventure that Walt envisioned when he designed the different lands.

I thought it was rediculous that Disney made a deal with HP for the new House of Tomorrow. Apple is almost always leading any sort of singnificant technical advancement and Steve Jobs is on Disney's own Board of Directors! If you're looking for sleek and modern, Apple's the way to go.

I also think that taking a 'future of the past' theme for Tomorrowland is the way to go, anything that is legitimately futuristic is achieved in a matter of years anymore. I'm not sure if anyone here is familliar with the game BioShock, but the '50s Art Deco style of Rapture is absolutely beautiful and I think that it'd be a great theme as far as 'yesterday's tomorrow' goes.