PDA

View Full Version : Tiana's Showboat Jubilee - stops river traffic

olegc
10-27-2009, 10:01 AM
FYI - I just watched the video B-Roll from the WDW version of the Tiana Showboat Jubilee (they should call it the Show Stop Jubilee). As with everything else these days from Disney entertainment there is no parade aspect but a full on 3 or 4 short number show, with the riverboat stopped right in the middle.

For thos who don't care for such things - that means that all other river traffic - rafts, canoes, and Columbia (if running) will be halted a good 20minutes prior to showtime and a while after - and if the show runs 3 times a day. Hmmm..

here is the link to the broll video. the show itself is probably 20 minutes or so ( i am not positive) and seems like it's very good. However, it will impact the rest of the river.
http://www.wdwnews.com/viewvideo.aspx?videoid=114021&siteid=1

cstephens
10-27-2009, 10:07 AM
But is the set-up going to be identical at Disneyland? Depending on where the Twain stops, there wouldn't be any need for the rafts to stop since they only go to the island and back - there's a very specific route for that. The Columbia wouldn't be able to run since it's on the same track as the Twain, but the Columbia doesn't run all the time anyway. And they could actually just have the Columbia docked for walk-through opportunities while the Twain is doing its show, though I don't know if they'd do that. Since the canoes are independent, there's really no reason for them to stop either, unless there's fireworks or something coming off the Twain that would be a hazard.

olegc
10-27-2009, 10:34 AM
But is the set-up going to be identical at Disneyland? Depending on where the Twain stops, there wouldn't be any need for the rafts to stop since they only go to the island and back - there's a very specific route for that. The Columbia wouldn't be able to run since it's on the same track as the Twain, but the Columbia doesn't run all the time anyway. And they could actually just have the Columbia docked for walk-through opportunities while the Twain is doing its show, though I don't know if they'd do that. Since the canoes are independent, there's really no reason for them to stop either, unless there's fireworks or something coming off the Twain that would be a hazard.

watch the video - and from that it appears at Disneyland they would stop the Twain immediately in front of the Fantasmic Stage to take advantage of the majority of walkway and bridge site lines. In my opinion they would stop the rafts due to noise, and stop the rafts and canoes because they would be a distraction to the site lines, and the canoes would stop as well due to safety reasons. even if the twain is "parked" along the river it would be too narrow of a space to guide the canoe between the stage and the Twain. It won't look like it in person but I bet there are safety distances to consider.

In reality - I hope I am wrong - but it seems that Disney Entertainment would not want anything taking away from folks watching the show.

DizneyMommy
10-27-2009, 11:41 AM
Considering the dates this show runs... how often would the canoes really be open anyways? Aren't they usually down during slower days anyways? Plus it's winter (yeah right) and they probably figure less people are interested in the canoes at this time of year anyways. It doesn't run forever, at least it wasn't during summer that they cooked this up.

mechurchlady
10-27-2009, 01:01 PM
Not sure how long but my guess is that for at least 30 years the canoes have been traveling Rivers of America in a loop while the Mark Twain and Columbia pass by. The Mark Twain stays on its track and ducks, rafts and canoes only have to avoid the Mark Twain. Thus the canoes would not be affected. If they shut down the rafts then people would be stuck on the island. There is one bathroom on a hilltop and oe has to hike up there or take a scary open elevator up there. I would hate to be stuck on that island for an hour r more. Also with the show and other interruptions the rafts would be down 4 or 5 hours a day. I hope they keep the rafts open during the show.

olegc
10-27-2009, 01:26 PM
Not sure how long but my guess is that for at least 30 years the canoes have been traveling Rivers of America in a loop while the Mark Twain and Columbia pass by. The Mark Twain stays on its track and ducks, rafts and canoes only have to avoid the Mark Twain. Thus the canoes would not be affected. If they shut down the rafts then people would be stuck on the island. There is one bathroom on a hilltop and oe has to hike up there or take a scary open elevator up there. I would hate to be stuck on that island for an hour r more. Also with the show and other interruptions the rafts would be down 4 or 5 hours a day. I hope they keep the rafts open during the show.

when I have been on the canoes - I know that if the twain is leaving the dock and coming around the 1st turn - the guides on the canoes ask us to stop rowing and wait. then once the twain makes the turn (almost past the stage) are we allowed to row again. the river pinches a little there just past the stage and raft dock on the island and does cause some bottleneck if the timing is right. This has been my experience so i can't say it's a policy or anything - but it could be.

Crazydave
10-28-2009, 08:31 AM
There is one bathroom on a hilltop

Theres a bathroom at the water wheel too.

TowerofTerror
10-28-2009, 09:39 AM
well I think there should be more bathrooms on the island