PDA

View Full Version : Disney College Internship Program

Pages : [1] 2

Tan Da Man
10-21-2009, 09:24 PM
Filled out my application, and have my interview Friday afternoon. Im so nervous lol, Wish Me Luck! :D

BIRDGIRLS
10-21-2009, 09:43 PM
Good luck! I so want to do this, but as a history major I don't think I could get credit for anything.. oh well. Good luck though!

Niwel
10-21-2009, 10:32 PM
Yay! best of luck! Please let us know how it goes, and if you want to share your interview story with us for Cast Place, we'd love to hear it.

Tan Da Man
10-21-2009, 10:56 PM
Ill definitely keep you updated...and Ill share the story, only if it goes well :)

tamagaal
10-22-2009, 01:22 AM
Good luck!! It's really an awesome, once-in-a-lifetime experience!!

Gilesmt
10-23-2009, 01:18 PM
Good luck, don't know if there is any difference in DL and WDW college program interviews but I don't think you have to worry much. Everyone I know around here who went for the interview was hired at WDW and I am from WA state. I know four friends of my daughter who have gone, my daughter was excepted but did not go.

But just in case there is a huge difference, I wish you all the best and good luck. Oh none of the kids got what they wanted when they signed up, but after being there a few weeks they all changed into what they wanted, and two are going back to what they really wanted but they have to be out of the system for so many months, all those I know went for 9 full months.

Phantom2006
10-23-2009, 01:47 PM
This year I applied for the Fall session. However, my big mistake was waiting till they came to CSUF to do the presentation. CSUF was one of the last stops for the DCP. When it came to my interview everything already fill up. They said there was still some room for attractions. Then I got a letter in the mail a week later that said that because of "overwhelming response" they could not offer me a position. I am still upset about this. It was something that I really wanted. C'est la vie.

AnotherJenny
10-23-2009, 04:33 PM
Good luck! I so want to do this, but as a history major I don't think I could get credit for anything.. oh well. Good luck though!

I had the same problems finding an internship as a History major. I ended up taking one for no credit in accounting (obviously not through Disney.)

Originally the Accounting dept was willing to give me credit if I could add a class in time, but I didn't make their deadline. You should check and see if you can get credit from another department you've taken classes in.

(And also, if you plan to say, work in a museum, I think guest services/guest relations would actually be useful skills.)

Tan Da Man
10-24-2009, 09:11 PM
They had to reschedule my interview to 8:30 AM on Monday due to "technological issues" :( But my friend had his interview and he gave me the heads up on some questions they asked, so I guess it isnt all that bad.

kfreak
10-25-2009, 01:13 PM
They had to reschedule my interview to 8:30 AM on Monday due to "technological issues" :( But my friend had his interview and he gave me the heads up on some questions they asked, so I guess it isnt all that bad.

Well good luck Monday. I hope you do well.

DisneyMouse
10-26-2009, 07:45 AM

I was able to get Humanity credit through my school you might see if they will let you do that. I was to the point in my degree where I had taken all my required courses and was able to use it as elective credit. Just a thought!:)

BIRDGIRLS
10-26-2009, 09:10 AM
Hm, elective credit. That's true. I'm still working on graduating in three years (a year and a half to go if it all works out!) and I'm heavily involved with student government.. I'll see how the elections go next semester.. elective credit is a good idea!

Mickeygirlforever
10-26-2009, 09:35 AM
Oh I did the WDW College Program just last summer...literally was the best time of my life. It's an awesome experience. In the interview, just make sure you show how much you really love the Disney company and you'll be fine ;). Good luck...I can't wait to get back and be a cast member myself again...

Tan Da Man
10-26-2009, 06:13 PM
Pretty sure I killed the interview. I would honestly be suprised if I didnt get in. Only problem is they're gonna offer me a position in retail when I really wanna be in attractions. The lady asked me a bunch of questions mainly focused on my experience in Retail and cash handling and what not. My best friend had his interview on Friday, and they asked him alot of different questions about rides, such as which ride he would want to work on..I got no such question :(

Either way Im still super excited for this if I do get accepted. They said I should know within 2-4 weeks, so when I know, Ill let you all know!

DisneyMouse
10-27-2009, 08:57 AM
You never know what you will get! I got asked some pretty cool ride questions and then ended up in Strollers/Wheelchairs! :confused: Not what I thought I wanted but still had a great time!:) Hope you get something you want though!

Phantom2006
10-27-2009, 12:35 PM
Pretty sure I killed the interview. I would honestly be suprised if I didnt get in.

I thought I did a good job in the interview too. I live right down the road and I still did not get in.

I knew someone who did this and they told me that a lot of people drop out. Mostly the people that are living in the apartments because they can't afford the rent coming out of there checks every week.

Niwel
10-27-2009, 12:39 PM
I've talked to people in different positions.... some who never though they would like where they were-- and they ended up loving it. I think a lot of it depends on what you give of yourself to the experience.

When I interviewed I said I would rather not work stores, since I worked at the Disney store during college and that I was a klutz -- so food was probably a bad idea.

I got attractions -- and thanks to being vertically challenged -- was switched from Subs to Fantasyland.

It was $$ to live with the CP -- but it was great having everyone in the same place. And where people are now is MUCH closer and has better transportation access than when we were at Oakwood in Costa Mesa.

Tan Da Man
10-27-2009, 09:42 PM
Im not complaining too much about being put in retail if that happens, I mean I felt as long as it wasnt custodial I'd be fine. I just get bored with retail, and something else would be more fun I think, since most my jobs have been in retail.

Also Im not too worried about the money, my parents already pay my housing and school tuition. With the money they will be saving on that, they will be able to help out here and there if need be.

BIRDGIRLS
10-29-2009, 10:51 AM
Hm, so I went and talked to the history department about it today. As long as there aren't too many budget constrictions (the school loses money when students leave for internships) I would probably get credit for the history major and elective courses.. I called my mom to tell her the good news about it, and she said she doesn't think it's the right thing. She told me that I should continue with student government. I like student government and all, and granted I had been planning on running for VP next year, but I already have the experience of doing that, and I'd like to try something else. It's weird how she's all against a one semester program but really wants me to study abroad for a year... If I went away for just one semester with the DCP I could come back and sit on a committee when I got back to school. If I was gone for a year I couldn't even do that. I don't get it. She knew I was interested in this before I started college. And besides, I'm paying for school myself.. it's not her money going towards this..

Niwel
10-29-2009, 11:13 AM
Hm, so I went and talked to the history department about it today. As long as there aren't too many budget constrictions (the school loses money when students leave for internships) I would probably get credit for the history major and elective courses.. I called my mom to tell her the good news about it, and she said she doesn't think it's the right thing.And besides, I'm paying for school myself.. it's not her money going towards this..

IMHO: I think if it is your dream and you are paying for school yourself, you should do it. It is a semester but will give you amazing opportunities you just won't get anywhere else -- and you can put your government skills to work in leadership positions, too.

BIRDGIRLS
10-29-2009, 11:23 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't say it's my dream, really, I just feel like I need a change from what I've been doing here. I'm concerned that I can only get six units to transfer. That kinda sucks. I suppose I could take online classes from another university that could transfer back to my university. I'll talk my parents into being more supportive over winter break.

Gilesmt
10-30-2009, 03:50 AM
Maybe I should keep my mouth shut but as a parent of two college students, I just wanted to tell you. Most parents are proud there children are off to college, and many are supportive, if not in money, than in love. But parents need to realize one thing, you are an adult. My ex and I support the girls with some financial help, when they need it. We support them in whatever they want to be, within reason, so far none want to be a serial killer.

But parents have to realize that there children in college are not children any more. Now saying this as a mother, with two children in college there are things you must allow the child to decide, even if you think there decision is wrong. That is part of the child growing up and a part of the parent to learn to let go.

Now if I am paying all there college expenses, or all of there housing expenses maybe it would be different, but I am not so my children must decide what courses to take, how long to study and what experiences they will have. I think your parents need to realize this, IMHO.

One of my daughters got excepted to DCP, she did not take it, all her friends did, they had great experiences and I wanted so much for her to do it. Her reason was valid, she felt she could not leave her daughter with me for several months without missing her to much. I feel bad as a mother that she missed this oppurtunity. I know she feels remorse when her friends all get together and talk about there 6 or 9 month experience. I feel proud because as a parent I have to step back and realize that she made an adult choice, what college IMHO is really about and she with a sad heart sometimes has to sit and listen to all her friends stories.

One night when all her friends were gone to DCP and she was lonely and having a hard time coping, I said, "go out and have some fun", she crawled up next to her baby sleeping and said "no I did this for her and I think I need to just lay down next to her and be thankful". What more can I ask for as a parent.

Sorry this is getting long, but on the other hand, one of her friends went, had a very difficult time adjusting, had a serious injury while down there, with no family around, but came back and said she would not have changed anything it made her grow up. Her mother died last month, when talking to her the other day, she regretted going, because she lost that time with her mom (which she did not know her mom was going to die). I said but it made you grow up and you now know you can make it without her, she said your right, I last 9 months on my own. If she had not gone, and had lived at home like she would have, and then her mom died she would have had an even more difficult time.

I think bluelady you need to think what you need to do and want to do, and then as an adult go and tell your parents what your decision was. They may not agree or like it, but as a college student you need to make choices and then live by them. Good Luck

BIRDGIRLS
10-30-2009, 09:13 AM
Yeah, I told my mom I wanted to talk with her about it over Thanksgiving break. My concern is that I don't want to be stuck with only six units transferring back to my university. Then I'm not even a full-time student and my insurance rates go up. Additionally, I won't get any credit through the history major if I work in something that's not related to history in some way. Like, if I got stuck working attractions or food service. I'm kinda confused about that. I want to work in guest relations/guest services area, but what if I apply to that area, and they put me in attractions? Is there some guarantee that wherever you apply you get put there?

And as for parents being proud.. so far they've been very proud of me. I took on going to school five hundred miles away (they didn't really expect that), last interterm I gave up two weeks of my winter break to go to an academic seminar in Washington DC that culminated in attending the Inauguration (they also didn't expect that, I'm a very staunch Republican), I ran for a position in student government and got elected, and am now tackling the ramifications of the budget cuts, and I'm still involved in the GOP community at home. And on top of that, I came in to school with no credits transferring from high school, and in my second year here I'm academically a junior.. I got way far ahead. They're proud of me, but I just don't understand why they don't think this is the best move for me. I guess my mom thinks my future is in politics (which I could see it being) but I also want to get a different experience. Maybe she doesn't know enough about the program, who knows. I'm gonna talk to her about it for sures!

Tan Da Man
11-04-2009, 03:59 PM
SOOO....I got the call yesterday, and I got in :)

Ill be a "Merchandise Host" Im really rather stoked, only downfall is my buddy hasnt got a call back yet, but its only been like a week and a half when they originally said I wouldnt hear anything for 2-4 weeks. So Ill be working in Disneyland from January 10th-August 14th.

Niwel
11-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Yay!