PDA

View Full Version : Monorail one way trip only?

Pages : [1] 2 3

MouseVII
10-21-2009, 08:33 PM
My family and I had some time to kill before the fireworks last night so we decided to to ride the Monorail round trip. Got to the entrance and saw that they were only doing one way trips. We thought that we would be able to get off at DTD station and re-board but right before we got on the train we learned that DTD station was closed, that they weren't loading new passengers and everyone had to get off (except for groups with a wheelchair).

When we walked back to the esplanade we saw the same Monorail go by completely empty (except for groups with a wheelchair) which brings up my question, what reason could there be to run the train empty? If it was busy I can understand one way trips, but I can't figure out why a train would be run empty on half the track, especially the more scenic of the two halves.

I'm sure there's a good reason for this procedure so I'm hoping someone would be able to shed some light on it for me.

mechurchlady
10-21-2009, 08:47 PM
For safety reasons the monorails do not run during the fireworks or just before or after fireworks. I do not know why they would run the monorail empty but they do have a reason.

BIRDGIRLS
10-21-2009, 09:36 PM
Once during the summer, my boyfriend and I wanted to take the Monorail from Tomorrowland to Downtown Disney, as we were meeting up with someone there, and I have plantar fasciitis (probably spelled wrong) in my feet so we were trying to save my feet some walkin'. So we get there, and the Cast Member at the entrance to the station asks us if we were hotel guests. I told him no, that we were meeting people in Downtown Disney, and we wanted to save my feet by taking the Monorail. He told us we couldn't, because at that time it was only open to hotel guests. At this point I was pretty mad, because a Disneyland attraction is an attraction that should be available to all guests, and my feet hurt!!!

Long story short, we went to guest services to complain. They took our name and said if we went back there they'd let us on the Monorail. But we weren't gonna retrace our steps. At that point we were a third of the way there. Kinda irritating.

Darkbeer
10-22-2009, 06:01 AM
Not loading at Downtown Disney is a time saver. They can get mor efolks out of the park by running 2 Trains and only load at the Tomorrowland Entrance. This is the most efficient operation of the Monorail after the fireworks on a busy day.

And Disney runs the Monorail for Disney Hotel Guests only on a regular basis. It is very common in the early morning hours from Downtown Disney to the park. But they also do it in the evening from Tomorrowland to DtD when they have long lines for the Monorail. (aka Hotel Guests come first).

BIRDGIRLS
10-22-2009, 06:31 AM
That doesn't seem fair that they use it as primarily a mode of transportation for hotel guests. I understand it's more convenient, but it could be more convenient for people in the park too. And it's still a park attraction! Sheesh. I'm really kinda mad about this.

Malcon10t
10-22-2009, 06:57 AM
That doesn't seem fair that they use it as primarily a mode of transportation for hotel guests. I understand it's more convenient, but it could be more convenient for people in the park too. And it's still a park attraction! Sheesh. I'm really kinda mad about this.It happens quite often, and there are usually signs up indicating this. On peak days, the monorail is usually open for guests after 10am til 6 or 7, before and after, it is for guests of the hotel as a transportation device. The line gets very long (we've had 45 min waits to get on the monorail in the evening) and they try and prevent hotel guests from this wait by limiting it to hotel guests.

BIRDGIRLS
10-22-2009, 07:41 AM
Regardless, I don't think it's fair. It's like saying the train is too crowded so they're only going to use it for people who are exiting the park.

Malcon10t
10-22-2009, 12:01 PM
Regardless, I don't think it's fair. It's like saying the train is too crowded so they're only going to use it for people who are exiting the park.There are a lot of things that aren't fair. They didn't have the sign up? Your other option is to stay at the Resort hotels. To the "attraction is an attraction", remember, there are disclaimers on the tickets explaining not everything may be running.

club33az
10-22-2009, 12:26 PM
Birdgirls is right. It's not fair. BUT it's not exactly a secret that they do this. They've been doing 'hotel guests only' for years now.

But the train being down when I was there this past few days was a real pain in the patootie!!

3Princesses1Prince
10-22-2009, 01:21 PM
It's a perk of staying onsite....like MMs!

BIRDGIRLS
10-22-2009, 01:25 PM
Since when does an attraction become a perk though? I seriously have a problem with that... and it's ridiculous for me to stay in a hotel when I live twenty minutes away. The whole thing just really doesn't make sense. Being selective about who's allowed on certain attractions (besides for safety reasons) isn't fair. We all have park admission and should be allowed to go on all the attractions (excluding those that become safety issues of course).

iceman559
10-22-2009, 02:29 PM
While I can see your point about how the Monorail should be open to everyone, as I love it myself, there's only one problem. The Disneyland website clearly states it is the "first-of-its-kind transportation system" and is listed under "Getting Around". When the Monorail first opened in 1959, it was considered a "sight-seeing attraction". However, when it was lengthened in 1961, Disney's shifted its focus to being a transportation system between the Hotel and Disneyland. Disney only issued one-way tickets from the park out to the Disneyland hotel. The only two-way ticket available was from the hotel to guests without park admission. Now that the whole ticketing system is gone, Disney couldn't very well get away with that, so the ticketing system is no longer in place. However, you can clearly see how Disney consider it as transportation, not an "attraction".

Also, the Monorail can't really be compared to any other attraction in the park. It is the only one to actually leave the park boundaries and the only one to have a load/unload platform OUTSIDE of the park proper (even though it is still within admission gates). If it weren't for Downtown Disney being at the one side of the monorail, I'd be willing to bet that not nearly as many people would ride it. Granted, one could then also argue that because Downtown Disney is right outside the gates of the station, that anyone that wants to travel between Disneyland and DTD should be allowed to ride it as well, not just hotel guests. So, really, there is no single side to the debate that is better than the other, as each side has valid points.

LLCMC
10-22-2009, 02:41 PM
I think the main issue here is "attraction" vs. "transportation". The monorail is very unique in a couple of ways:

One: Unlike most attractions, the monorail is heavily relied upon as a major form of transportation within the resort. Yes, some of us just like to ride it... but for many it is mainly a way to get from Tomorrowland to their hotel, or Downtown Disney.

Two: Unlike other things that can be seen as transportation (Disneyland Railroad, Main Street cars), the monorail travels OUTSIDE of the park. It moves people from the confines of the theme park, to the outside world. And the location of that station conveniently serves the hotels (as well as DTD).

For these reasons I totally understand Disney limiting use of the Monorail when necessary. Especially one-way trips. During peak periods, the Monorail is needed to shuttle people out of the park. At the end of a busy night, I don't blame Disney at all for using as many outlets from the park as possible, as efficiently as possible. As far as hotel guests, I'm not mad about that either. Rather than walk up and down Downtown Disney all day, it makes sense that they rely on it for transportation. One of the perks of staying on property is the ability to return to your room conveniently, and in a timely manner... whenever you'd like. And several times a day if necessary. Hotel guests need the Monorail much more than the average guest. And during times when hotel guest traffic may be high (ie, first thing in the morning), I find it very reasonable to limit use of the Monorail). That's not to say everyone else shouldn't be able to experience the Monorail as an attraction. That's why they open it up to everyone the vast majority of the time! Limiting trips for relatively small segments of the day is nothing for me to fret over, especially if it improves efficiency in what the Monorail is needed to do (provide transportation for hotel guests, AND shuttle people out of the park when needed).

LLCMC
10-22-2009, 02:43 PM
While I can see your point about how the Monorail should be open to everyone, as I love it myself, there's only one problem. The Disneyland website clearly states it is the "first-of-its-kind transportation system" and is listed under "Getting Around". When the Monorail first opened in 1959, it was considered a "sight-seeing attraction". However, when it was lengthened in 1961, Disney's shifted its focus to being a transportation system between the Hotel and Disneyland. Disney only issued one-way tickets from the park out to the Disneyland hotel. The only two-way ticket available was from the hotel to guests without park admission. Now that the whole ticketing system is gone, Disney couldn't very well get away with that, so the ticketing system is no longer in place. However, you can clearly see how Disney consider it as transportation, not an "attraction".

Also, the Monorail can't really be compared to any other attraction in the park. It is the only one to actually leave the park boundaries and the only one to have a load/unload platform OUTSIDE of the park proper (even though it is still within admission gates). If it weren't for Downtown Disney being at the one side of the monorail, I'd be willing to bet that not nearly as many people would ride it. Granted, one could then also argue that because Downtown Disney is right outside the gates of the station, that anyone that wants to travel between Disneyland and DTD should be allowed to ride it as well, not just hotel guests. So, really, there is no single side to the debate that is better than the other, as each side has valid points.

LOL, needless to say... I agree! We said almost the same exact thing, but you beat me to the submit button! :D

BIRDGIRLS
10-22-2009, 03:52 PM
Right, but I explained to the Cast Member that I my feet were hurting because of plantar fasciitis and we were meeting someone in downtown. I feel they wrongly assume that solely hotel guests use it as a means of transportation when this is simply untrue.

mechurchlady
10-22-2009, 05:35 PM
When riders exceeds the capacity of the monorail then they will go to one-way or hotel guests only. They cannot help it if a monorail bushing dies and the monorail has to be taken off line. for example. It is just their way of guaranteeing that those who need the service get it.

Next times ask for an attractions manager and I met one who was a sweetie. Explain your disability and need to use the monorail.

LLCMC
10-22-2009, 08:39 PM
Right, but I explained to the Cast Member that I my feet were hurting because of plantar fasciitis and we were meeting someone in downtown. I feel they wrongly assume that solely hotel guests use it as a means of transportation when this is simply untrue.

Oh, I absolutely think they should have made an exception for you! I was more commenting on the general limitations they impose. Case by case exceptions should be taken into consideration though, especially if someone is already standing on the platform and has explained their need to use the Monorail.

Malcon10t
10-22-2009, 09:05 PM
Oh, I absolutely think they should have made an exception for you! I was more commenting on the general limitations they impose. Case by case exceptions should be taken into consideration though, especially if someone is already standing on the platform and has explained their need to use the Monorail.But that leaves it open to everyone to complain "my feet hurt, I need to ride to DTD". As someone who also has PF, I do understand the condition. If the symptoms are severe, City Hall can help. Walking in the park for a day is worse than a walk to DTD.

Best thing I ever did for my PF was change shoes.

Teddi
10-22-2009, 09:17 PM
Regardless, I don't think it's fair. It's like saying the train is too crowded so they're only going to use it for people who are exiting the park.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to make the use for the modes of transportation in the park for transportation. So actually, if they wanted to restrict the train for exiting only, I think that's a great idea for the 30 - 60 mins after F/Fireworks it be used only for a logistical purpose actually.

As far it being "unfair", if they posted official daily operating hours for the monorail, that would make it "fair". IE the monorail "attraction" is open from 10 - 6. Then, the monorail transportation is open before & after.

cstephens
10-22-2009, 11:50 PM
Since when does an attraction become a perk though?

Pretty much every day Magic Morning is available, as it's my understanding that resort guests can use the Monorail to enter the park during Magic Morning whereas non-resort guests can't use the Monorail at that time.

That would also be true of every attraction that's open during Magic Mornings, since being able to go on the attraction during that time is a perq only to those who have Magic Morning.

And the Monorail isn't just an attraction. It *is* transportation.

Darkbeer
10-23-2009, 02:04 AM
Pretty much every day Magic Morning is available, as it's my understanding that resort guests can use the Monorail to enter the park during Magic Morning whereas non-resort guests can't use the Monorail at that time.

Yes and No... You must have a Disney Hotel Room Key to board the Monorail during Magic Mornings. If you have an Advance Purchase ParkHopper that has a Magic Morning Entry, you cannot enter at the DtD Monorail entrance unless you also have a Disney owned Hotel Key.

Those staying off-property MUST use the Main Entrance Turnstiles.

Gilesmt
10-23-2009, 01:07 PM
At one point in time, was there not other forms of transportation to hotel guest that are no longer available to them. I thought at one point the hotels, DLH and PPH had trams, as part of there transportation. Would it be fair to say to visitors who are paying for their cars to be park that they had to give up seats so that DLH or PPH guest could sit and use the tram, no. I am not sure that any hotel guest use the tram, maybe they do, I liked the tram maybe even though I am staying at the resort hotel, I will try the tram this trip. But transportation used such as the trams are used to transport people away from crowded areas at times and hense why the trams during the night should be used for the hotel guest.

I have stayed at the hotel many times in the last few years and the monorail to me has become a hassle, I love it when it is running but that is the big question. Many days I get in line for the first trip to the park in the morning to find it is not working that day or running late. Many times, I will take the train over to tomorrow land to find out the monorail is down and not working so I have to get back on the train to the front gate. I also have been in line in the evening to get back to my hotel, never realized that hotel guest have perk loading, I stood in line for over an hour on several occassions, as no one ever told me I could skip around people to get on. So I never see it as a perk, when it runs it is fine, but many times it is unreliable and not a fast mode to get back to the hotel. I would not stay at the hotel to get that as a perk.

Darkbeer
10-23-2009, 01:22 PM
I don't know why Disney won't allow the ART system to service the three Disney owned Hotels. You can easily do a route that takes care of the three Hotels on its own route....

At least it will give folks an option!

Gilesmt
10-23-2009, 01:39 PM
So the last sentence in the first paragraph was wrong and should have stated why the trams should not be used by hotel guest at peak times.

Sesameguy
11-04-2009, 09:32 AM
I just wanted to give a "heads up" that I will be doing a blog posting later this week that will talk about this issue with the Monorail. The Monorail rules are something I've noticed as well that I also have some mixed feelings about. I will include some quotes from this thread, so you may see your thoughts there as well. I'll post the official link when the post is ready.

http://heroshaven.blogspot.com