PDA

View Full Version : When do you suppose the Matterhorn will be painted? And how much will it cost?

Pages : [1] 2

Disneyfreak
01-27-2003, 08:37 PM
I have always wondered how long ago did they paint the snow on the matterhorn. I have a magazine that is from the 25th aniversary and it shows the matterhorn white almost to the bottom. Its a shame how they probably wont paint the snow on matterhorn till probably there isnt any left. But do any of you guys know how long its been since it was painted last? Also how much it would cost them to do?

DisneyGuy03
01-27-2003, 11:00 PM
Let's just say somewhere extrmely hot will freeze over before this happens, unless the pain completely wears off, or at least that's my opinion. To paint it would cost an insane ammount, as there is no way some regular painter would climb all the way to the top to paint it, you need to hire someone that is not only a skilled painter, but a skilled rocke climber as well. And then find one that can paint while rock climbing to boot and that is willing to do it. Plus the cost of adequate paint. I think we will have to wait until it is all gone before this is fixed.

cemeinke
01-28-2003, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by DisneyGuy03
...there is no way some regular painter would climb all the way to the top to paint it, you need to hire someone that is not only a skilled painter, but a skilled rocke climber as well.

Hans & Otto? Mickey & Goofy? I think they should just send Tom & Becky over when they get done with the fence by the ROA.

DisneyGuy03
01-28-2003, 09:32 AM
LOL, don't we wish it were that simple. And while repainting it, if they do it right, the attraction could still be running.

RStar
01-28-2003, 12:14 PM
I belive it was painted only about 4 years ago (the snow part anyway-and they added glitter:) ) and I think I heard at that time that it was the first time it was repainted since it was built (1959). So my guess is, it will get a new coat o' paint in about 40 years. If I'm correct that is, I could be wrong. The point is, yes it's not a typical paint job. Harder even than a water tower I would think.

Disneyfreak
01-28-2003, 03:03 PM
Wll it must of had cheap paint put on because its allready wearing off. The paint I would assume that was put on when the matterhorn was built was a lead based paint which is illegal now. Too bad they cant make a solution that would make it just as strong and not bad for the environment and the health.

Pirate Girl
01-28-2003, 03:51 PM
Or they could just use the lead based paint. Think of how much stronger the Mountain would be. It could double as a really entertaining bomb shelter!

Disneyfreak
01-28-2003, 03:57 PM
LOL!!!! But seriously they should use the most expensive paint for a job like this. They pay less upfront and in 5 years they have to do it all over again when they could use more expensive paint and it will last 20 or 30 years. That is the #1 thing wrong with the people deciding these things. They go cheap and they get bit in the behind sooner.

Techie7
01-28-2003, 09:58 PM
Last night the Matterhorn was getting glittered again.

RStar
01-29-2003, 09:41 AM
Really? So they apply the glitter seperate from the paint? Cool. Did you see them doing it, or just hear about it? I would assume they did it after the park closed, and you would be gone, unless you closed, and they started right away.

If you saw it, or know someone who did, please describe. Inquiering minds want to know.;)

Techie7
01-29-2003, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by RStar
Really? So they apply the glitter seperate from the paint? Cool. Did you see them doing it, or just hear about it? I would assume they did it after the park closed, and you would be gone, unless you closed, and they started right away.

If you saw it, or know someone who did, please describe. Inquiering minds want to know.;)

I was leaving the park with my cousin right after closing (MS still open) and they had a guy up on the mountain spraying glitter onto the roof and the walls. It looked very strange because the glitter was flying through the air and looked like pixy dust and or a bunch of little bugs flying around ;) I can only imagine how long it must take for the glitter man to wash all of that glitter off of himself. Don't know if they were doing the whole thing or just the redone sections but it looked like fun!

Matterhorn Fan
01-29-2003, 10:06 AM
I bet there's someone around here who might be interested in seeing a photo of the Matterhorn being pixie-dusted.

;)

Disneyfreak
01-29-2003, 03:48 PM
WOW!! For once im amazed that Disneyland has even considered to make the paint look good. Maybe they will still paint! I dont think the top needs the paint, but they need to add more white paint neerer to the bottom like it was originally. So They can use less paint.

RStar
01-29-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Matterhorn Fan
I bet there's someone around here who might be interested in seeing a photo of the Matterhorn being pixie-dusted.

;)

And Matterhorn Fan being Pixie-dusted!;)

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Matterhorn Fan
01-29-2003, 05:50 PM
And Matterhorn Fan being Pixie-dusted!;)

Sorry, couldn't resist... :eek:

Pirate Girl
01-29-2003, 09:32 PM
:sleep: I have always wanted to use that smiley. They should Pixie Dust the Matterhorn every night after Tink flys over at the end of the fireworks.

RStar
01-30-2003, 08:08 AM
:eek:

What, you wouldn't want to put on tights and fly around like Peter Pan?;)

Ok, enough thread derailing. Any estimates on the cost of painting the hill we call the Matterhorn?

Matterhorn Fan
01-30-2003, 09:07 AM
What, you wouldn't want to put on tights and fly around like Peter Pan?;) I don't even want to think about how much that would cost. ;)

LIMANDL4EVA
01-30-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by DisneyGuy03
there is no way some regular painter would climb all the way to the top to paint it, you need to hire someone that is not only a skilled painter, but a skilled rocke climber as well. And then find one that can paint while rock climbing to boot and that is willing to do it.

ever heard of a crane?:rolleyes:

DisneyGuy03
01-30-2003, 09:34 PM
Actually, in this case a crane wouldn't work, it would have too much potential to cause damage to surrounding structures and the Matterhorn it's self.

HBTiggerFan
01-30-2003, 10:21 PM
actually I am 99.9% sure I have heard of a crane being used to paint or do something with the Matterhorn before.

RStar
01-31-2003, 09:08 AM
As I recall last time, they had the whole mountain covered with that green screen cloth, and had scaffolding inside the cloth. Just like when they painted the castle.

RStar
01-31-2003, 09:10 AM
I don't even want to think about how much that would cost. ;)

I'll give you $5!

Oh wait, that's soliciting. We can't do that here.;)

Never mind.........

:rolleyes:

HTHBellcaptain
01-31-2003, 08:45 PM
I'll give you $5!

Oh wait, that's soliciting. We can't do that here.;)

Never mind.........

:rolleyes:

Perhaps, instead of offering Matterhorn Fan money, we could threaten to add an enclosed cage are next to the Matterhorn filled with monkeys, unless she went on a flight wearing tights like Peter Pan. :D

Not Afraid
01-31-2003, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by HTHBellcaptain
Perhaps, instead of offering Matterhorn Fan money, we could threaten to add an enclosed cage are next to the Matterhorn filled with monkeys, unless she went on a flight wearing tights like Peter Pan. :D

Oooh! I KNOW she just loves monkeys, that's why her original MP name was Monkey Fan.

I heard from a reliable source that they were going to be replacing the Abominable Snowman with a giant Monkey. Whene's you next DL visit, MF???

:D