PDA

View Full Version : Finally a Disneyland AP holder

brentm77
01-27-2003, 04:27 PM
Hello everyone,
I have been reading this message board almost daily for about six months now, but have never posted.

My wife and I live in Salt Lake City, Utah. We visit Disneyland about once a year, and sometimes twice. (This year should be even more)

For her birthday this year I bought us APs and plane tickets. The morning of her birthday I will give them to her and we will fly out that afternoon.

I just have a couple of quick questions. I had the local Disneystore order the passes for us, and I didn't ask many questions. I bought the deluxe passes, because the black out days are not when we would want to go anyway.

They gave me two tickets, that they said I would exchange for the actual passes when I visit. Does that mean that the annual pass will expire one year from the first visit?

Also, when you renew yearly, do you get any sort of discount?

I found the information on the few discounts you can get with the deluxe AP in DLR, but are there any other perks? I have read up here about special events. How often are these, and are they as pricey as I think from what I have read? Also, is they any sort of publication you receive for being an AP? Disneyland's website is weak when it comes to details.

One last thing, we have never wanted to spend the money to go to DCA, but we will make a visit now that it is free to us. Besides soarin, is there anything else that is a must see?

Any feedback would be great!

Sorry this is so long.
:~D

-Brent

Morrigoon
01-27-2003, 04:50 PM
DCA's four good attractions are:

Screamin'
Soarin'
Animation Building
Grizzly Mtn. (the raft ride)

Good place to eat is Trattoria. It's across from Bug's Land, there's indoor and outdoor dining, I prefer the outdoor. Food's good (though the selection's pretty small) and the prices are actually great. If it weren't for this restaurant, I'd visit DCA less than half as often as I do.

HBTiggerFan
01-27-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by brentm77
Hello everyone,
I have been reading this message board almost daily for about six months now, but have never posted.

Welcome! Glad to see you on the board. If you want to kill all of your free time be sure to get sucked into the vortex of the Lounge. ;)

My wife and I live in Salt Lake City, Utah. We visit Disneyland about once a year, and sometimes twice. (This year should be even more)

For her birthday this year I bought us APs and plane tickets. The morning of her birthday I will give them to her and we will fly out that afternoon.

What a nice husband you are! I can imagine her suprise and happiness :D

I just have a couple of quick questions. I had the local Disneystore order the passes for us, and I didn't ask many questions. I bought the deluxe passes, because the black out days are not when we would want to go anyway.

They gave me two tickets, that they said I would exchange for the actual passes when I visit. Does that mean that the annual pass will expire one year from the first visit?

You use the tickets to get in the park, and then you go to the AP Processing Center at the end of Main St. on your left hand side if you are looking at the castle. I forget the name of it off the top of my head. The APs will expire one year from the first visit.

As of right now the renewal discount is on the deluxe and Premium and it is $20.

I found the information on the few discounts you can get with the deluxe AP in DLR, but are there any other perks? I have read up here about special events. How often are these, and are they as pricey as I think from what I have read? Also, is they any sort of publication you receive for being an AP? Disneyland's website is weak when it comes to details.

I don't know about the special events, however there is an Annual Pass newsletter that is put out quaterly (I think)

One last thing, we have never wanted to spend the money to go to DCA, but we will make a visit now that it is free to us. Besides soarin, is there anything else that is a must see?

DCA has Sorin over California, Grizzly River Rapids, California Screamin, and the Animation Building that are all worth visiting. DCA is a nice park to go to if you want to get away from the crowds of Disneyland.

Sorry this is so long.

-Brent

I hoped this helped! Don't worry about the length.

HAVE FUN!!!!!

experiment626
01-27-2003, 07:17 PM
We as a family enjoy DCA. But then we are a family of two pre-teens and a single mom. So two adults will likely have a different view point. In addition to the rides that the other posters have mentioned I personally really enjoyed the Golden Dreams (movie about the history of Ca). And though I haven't seen it yet Aladdin is suppose to be REALLY good.

As far as perks, here is a list of benefits from disneyland.com (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneylandresort/ResortInfo/AnnualPassholders/apDiscountsNoGate/index)

sydney
01-27-2003, 08:17 PM
Welcome!

A good tip is to make your AP processing visit to the Plaza Pavillion early in the morning before the lines become long. :)

Also, as you'll note on these boards and elsewhere, the new Aladdin show at DCA has been very popular lately. If you want to see it, then be sure to get fastpass "tickets" for it (which are handed out at the gate) in the morning as well. Otherwise they will run out and you will have a difficult time seeing the show at all.

Also, find some good fastpass tips so you can be a true "AP" and take full advantage of fastpasses. (For instance, before your trip, ask us locals about which fastpasses you can collect at the same time and which you must hold one at a time-- otherwise called the "connected" fastpass machines.) Also, remember that you can have a fastpass at DCA and a fastpass at DL at the same time. this will help minimize your time in line.

And remember, you're an AP now, so don't worry about trying to "get your money's worth" the whole time. enjoy your time at the parks!

DisneyGuy03
01-27-2003, 10:54 PM
DCA's four good attractions are:

Screamin'
Soarin'
Animation Building
Grizzly Mtn. (the raft ride)

Ok, let me modify this statement, the must see things at DCA are:
Screamin'
Soarin'
Annimation Building
Grizzly River Rapids
Aladdin
Groove 66 (ask at the information booth when and where they'll be)
The Wizard Acrobats
Who Want's to be a Millionaire Play It
Golden Dreams

This is just my humble opion, other good things in the park are:
Mullholland Maddness (If you like the rougher style roller coasters)
Flick's Fun Fair (at least go through it, it is very well themed for what it is, do not wait more than 2 minutes for any attaction there though)
Muppet Vision 3-D
it's tought to be a bug
Redwood Creek Challenge Trail - Be sure to catch the story telling, it is actually quite entertaining.

That about covers it, for two adults, there is no point in seeing the ugly bug ball or mickey's detective school in disneyland.

As for the fastpass tips, for the most current list of disconnected fastpass machines/fastpass tips, please visit my website listed below, this list should be fully up by the end of the week, look for a heading on the main page, entitled "Fastpass tips" or something to that effect.

Doodle Duck
01-28-2003, 07:18 AM
Re: DCA...About 16 rides on Screamin' should make for a nice visit.

also:

Tough To Be A Bug is terrific stuff.

Grizzly is a very pretty ride.

Go back on Screamin' a few more times.

Muppets is dated but fun.

Millionaire is well done.

The Animation Building is a MUST...just sit on the couch for 15 minutes and be immersed.

On a light day you should be able to get in ANOTHER 5 or 6 rides on Screamin'. (BACK SEAT for max speed and affect.)

Soarin is 'nice' but not a thriller and good for maybe two rides. (fastpass it).

:D :D :D

experiment626
01-28-2003, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by DisneyGuy03
As for the fastpass tips, for the most current list of disconnected fastpass machines/fastpass tips, please visit my website listed below, this list should be fully up by the end of the week, look for a heading on the main page, entitled "Fastpass tips" or something to that effect.

I don't find a "fastpass tips" on your main page. :(

KarenW2
01-28-2003, 08:56 AM
Hi Brent,
What a nice surprise for her birthday! Sounds like you should have fun. Will you be staying "on site" at a DLR hotel, or off? If you stay at the Grand Californian Hotel, it's VERY convenient for getting in and out of both parks, since it's the closest, and even better, in case you want to ride Grizzly River RUN (the actual name of the ride), as you will get absolutely SOAKING WET!

If you're staying at the GCH, you can easily run up, change clothes and come back down to enjoy the rest of the time in the parks, or do the ride last and just go back up to your room to get out of your wet things and relax.

Other things in DCA that we enjoy:
Millionaire - very fun, since everybody gets to play and get a chance to get into the Hot Seat, to possibly win pins, a hat, a polo shirt and a 4 day cruise for 4 to the Bahamas! Get a Fast Pass to get into the building sooner and be assured of a seat, if it's very crowded there

California Screamin' - warning, don't do this after you eat! I prefer the front row of the train on this one & you can ask to sit there

Soarin' Over California - ask nicely for a front row seat in the center section for the best view

Aladdin - but be prepared to wait in line a very long time, unless you're coming a while after it's been running & the novelty has worn off

Animation Building - be sure to check out the Sorcerer's Workshop, the best themed and most fun part of this building

Anything else, you should just take a look around and experience for yourself. You can get a "FREE" tortilla at the Mission Tortilla Factory & "FREE" piece of bread at the Boudin Bakery.

Since it will be her birthday, be sure to get her a birthday sticker at City Hall/Guest Services if you're not staying on site. Otherwise, if you're staying on site, ask at the desk for a birthday button, it's much nicer than just the sticker. If she wears either, she may be greeted with birthday wishes, songs, etc. from the CMs in the park, it kinda depends on the CM.

If you go to the Mission Tortilla Factory wearing the birthday sticker/button and ask, they will give you a Mission foods cookbook and pack of freshly made tortillas for free, a very nice treat!

If you'd like to see some pictures of DCA, take a look at our virtual photo album. You can view it at: http://members.cox.net/barry.wallis/

If there's anything else you'd like to know about, like restaurants, just ask and we'll be happy to help! Hope you have a great time!

DisneyGuy03
01-28-2003, 09:27 AM
I don't find a "fastpass tips" on your main page.
I am still composing ti, due to recent changes in the systems that are disconnected. Please give me until the end of the week. (If you really want to look at the old one, Click on Discount Tickets, then AAA Discounts, then the word Unlimited when ti describes that Fastpass benefit, I have described both systems, please subtract Haunted Mansion from the list of disconnectecd Fastpass systems, it is now connected year around apparently.)

ksejr1
01-28-2003, 11:42 AM
That was very nice of you to do. You know what that is a good question. I do not know if the experation date is when you go on your first visit. I would assume so. I have a 2-park Premium pass and when I get my renewel form it says that if I chose to pay it at the park it will be $225.00 and if I renewl by mail it comes out to $205.00 I also get a 20% off certificate to selected stores. We are also suppose to get a Disney catalog which I always get, but sometimes I don't get the Disney newsletter. As others posted the other rides are good too. As in eating there, I love eating the chicken nachos, and the vegetarian chili bowel next to the mission tortilla factory. Hope you have fun!

Hello everyone,

Sorry this is so long.

-Brent

Pirate Girl
01-28-2003, 04:28 PM

The Animation Building and the Mainstreet (Er...Disney's) Electrical Parade.

Pirate Girl
01-28-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by KarenW2

Soarin' Over California - ask nicely for a front row seat in the center section for the best view

That's B 1, in technical terms! ;)

DisneyGuy03
01-28-2003, 08:17 PM
I have finalyl gotten the Fastpass tips up on my site, more will be added as I find more. Take it for what it's worth.

brentm77
01-29-2003, 06:00 AM
Thanks for all the great feedback.

Sounds like there is more to see at DCA then I expected.

We will be staying off site, with family. They are about five minutes from the park and it saves a bundle.

The birthday sticker was a great tip, I didn't know about that.

Thanks again!
Brent

DisneyGuy03
01-29-2003, 09:31 AM
Also, after getting the Birthday Stickerm, be sure to go to the Tortilla Factory and Boudin Bakery, at the Tortilla Factory you get entire stack of tortillas and a tortilla (cookie) cutter and a recipie book and at the Boudin Bakery you get a free cookie (a $3.01 value after tax according to another thread).