PDA

View Full Version : Millionaire - Fess up, what's your secret?

MonorailMan
01-27-2003, 02:59 PM
Every time I try to get in that hot seat (going on 20), I fail miserably. I gotten into the top 10 twice.

I want to know! How the heck do you all do it?

Is it "Push and Hold", "Fiendish Pressing", the "Finger Slide", or the "Pounce on the button like a cat, once you see the light"?

I really want to get up there! :D

Morrigoon
01-27-2003, 04:52 PM
Haven't gotten in the hotseat myself (I always forget to go into Millionaire), but from what I understand, pick a number series and for each question hit that same series as fast as you can, as soon as it lights up (don't bother reading question)

Ghoulish Delight
01-27-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
Haven't gotten in the hotseat myself (I always forget to go into Millionaire), but from what I understand, pick a number series and for each question hit that same series as fast as you can, as soon as it lights up (don't bother reading question) That's for the fastest finger.

For actual game play, I go with the rapid tap. My old NES Track & Field skills come into play :D (hrmm, probably before your time, MM. Never mind :p). I've gotten top 10 almost every time I go. I have been #1 at the 1000 point question mark, but blew it after that (usually due to wrong answer rather than slow response). Never made it to the hot seat, but I've only been there about 6 times.

LightGuy20
01-27-2003, 07:29 PM
Rapid tap all the way.

I learned that the second time I went. I've only been to the show four times and in the hot seat once. But, after the first time, I've always managed to get in the top ten at least once during the show. As soon as you know the answer just start pressing as fast as you can until your choice lights up. Then sit back and wait for your number to appear. (Unless you chose the wrong answer. I guess I should specify that you must hit the right answer for this to work. ;))

-Cory

sydney
01-27-2003, 08:01 PM
yes, rapid tapping... but start before the light goes on, so that you have a chance at being the first to input the right answer into the show computer. However, the most sucess I have had is when I realize that the correct answer is "D", before it is read. then I can be pressing "D" rapidly while the rest of the audience is taking the time to see if "d" is right before pressing anything. That has gotten me into the seat twice. the other two times I got into the hotseat by answering the fastest finger correctly, and I actually did know the answer and took the time to input it. I'm not a believer in the "1 in 24" rule of button mashing the fastest finger.

Of course, you must answer every question right. If you miss one, you're out of the running. It's usually pretty easy to get in if you know the answers at the higher levels of play. Every time I have been in the hot seat I've gotten to the 250,000 point level, but choke every time once I get there... :)

Good luck everyone, hope you get the million!

BTT
01-27-2003, 09:18 PM
I heartily second what sydney said regarding getting to the hot seat. Most people are not prepared to push "d" when that is the answer, and the lights go on at the same time regardless of it.

Also, the last time I got in the hot seat, I happened to get the fastest finger question, and managed to get in with something just under 4 seconds...so not everyone is trying the "pick an order and go with it" strategy. Of course, I say this, and yet I firmly recall a 4 year old girl beating out 500 others at a fastest finger regarding putting four Aaron Spelling series in chronological order and all four were from the '70s.

Ben T.

DisneyGuy03
01-27-2003, 10:44 PM
The trick is do not press any buttons until the lgithts come one, which is right when the last answer is read to the question. Watcdh for the lights on the pad, also the wheel chair section has cool keypads that you get to hold, which actually help, but is not nescesarry, take it from someone who's been in the hotseat, this is how I manage to get into the top 10 on a semi-regular basis too, don't watch the screens after the third awnser.

RStar
01-28-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by DisneyGuy03
The trick is do not press any buttons until the lgithts come one

Why? I start tapping the button as soon as I know the answer, so that when the lights come on I have a better chance at getting in first. The one thing I have noticed is that you can hear alot of clicking when people start pushing, and if they start doing it right after an answer is read it helps you guess. But if you do it, then you may be helping others get it, and that's more competition.

I have had times where I knew all the answers, pushed quickly, and STILL not been in the top 10, let alone the hot seat!! Arrgg!!:mad:

Cadaverous Pallor
01-28-2003, 12:47 PM
In the few times I've been there, a young child has won the first fastest finger over half the time. That one is absolute luck and button mashing.

I also support the rapid tap, and start tapping BEFORE the lights come on - this gives you an instantaneous response when the light DOES come on.

GD and I are almost always in the top ten, but it's all about getting every single question right, including the fastest finger - which, like I say, is mostly luck.

tod
01-28-2003, 12:50 PM
1. Rapid tap as soon as you know the answer is my suggestion. Sometimes this works against you, as when "What word has no rhyme in the English language?" came up and we were all waiting for "Orange" and D lit up and NONE of them was "Orange" and we were all locked into "D-Blue" and then we looked and there was "B-purple."

2. NEVER GIVE UP!! The audience member score is the point value for the question plus 1000 points for every unused second. When you get into Round Three, you can make up a lot of points even if you got one wrong before.

--T
4X in the Hot Seat

PineapplePrincess
01-28-2003, 12:56 PM
We don't go to WWTBAM very much but my husband did get in the hot seat. He did it by coming up with a pattern and pushing it in as soon as the lights some on. The third time we did it he got the hot seat! We have also both been on the top 10 board several times.
Good Luck Monorail Man!

Kimi_Coconuts
01-28-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by BTT
I heartily second what sydney said regarding getting to the hot seat. Most people are not prepared to push "d" when that is the answer, and the lights go on at the same time regardless of it.

Also, the last time I got in the hot seat, I happened to get the fastest finger question, and managed to get in with something just under 4 seconds...so not everyone is trying the "pick an order and go with it" strategy. Of course, I say this, and yet I firmly recall a 4 year old girl beating out 500 others at a fastest finger regarding putting four Aaron Spelling series in chronological order and all four were from the '70s.

Ben T.

Tee hee :D , was the little girl dressed up like Tinkerbell by chance? If so, that was my daughter and I got to answer the questions, so much fun.

My husband has been in the hot seat by knowing the answers and rapidly pushing the buttons.

BTW, my daughter still thinks the buttons to push are ABCD in that order during the fastest finger question! ;)

tabacco
01-29-2003, 02:42 AM
I prefer the 'gameboy finger' method (remember, pressure doens't matter but frequency does--you want the highest number of presses per second you can manage). I never did make it into the hotseat during cast previews, but I was #1 3 times at the end of the game, so I'm pretty sure it's effective :)

RideMax Mark
01-29-2003, 06:00 AM
We went to the park Christmas night with a whole bunch of family -- there were about 20 of us. Since there are only 24 possible A-B-C-D sequences, I assigned each person in our group a different letter sequence, and told them to push that sequence as quickly as possible for the first fastest-finger question.

Sure enough, my wife made it into the hot seat! She didn't make it to the Million $$ question, but we all had fun watching her play!