PDA

View Full Version : Aladdin tickets?

ksejr1
01-27-2003, 11:27 AM
ok so what is the deal with Aladdin. I've been hearing that you need to get tickets for the shows. Is this true? Do you have to pay?? Should i show up early to get tickets? Is it like the Who LIne is it Anyways show where you just wait in line and if you have an AP you get a good seat ticket?

cstephens
01-27-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by tiggergrl
ok so what is the deal with Aladdin. I've been hearing that you need to get tickets for the shows. Is this true? Do you have to pay?? Should i show up early to get tickets? Is it like the Who LIne is it Anyways show where you just wait in line and if you have an AP you get a good seat ticket?

It's not so much that you need tickets, but it's sounding like it might be a good idea to get them on weekends. (It doesn't sound like there are currently any problems on weekdays.) Fastpasses are offered for the show, and a number of people (at least on another board - I haven't finished reading through this board yet) have reported that without a Fastpass ticket, they weren't able to get into a particular show, and that none of the people in the Standby line for that show were let in. (I personally also think that's a bad way to run this.)

You do not have to pay for tickets, and I don't think you need to get up especially early to get the tickets, but it would probably be a good idea to get there earlier in the day rather than later. There is usually a booth (or at least some CMs) standing either at the entrance to the Hollywood backlot or right in front of the Hyperion theatre, and they're the ones from whom you get the tickets.

Anyone know if there's a limit to how many you can get? Whenever I've gone to ask for 4 tickets when the other three people weren't standing right with me, they've never questioned me. Someone mentioned a couple weeks ago of having double-digit FPs for Aladdin, which surprised me because I wouldn't think the CMs would have given out that many at once. Maybe they should start implementing the same rules for these FPs - one per ticket media shown.

Good luck, and hope you enjoy the show.

DisneyGuy03
01-27-2003, 09:59 PM
Alright for the tickets, they are basically just fasptass tickets, smae basic concept as FP for millionaire, except you don't need to scan your passport to get them.

The tickets "sell out" usually by noon lately, I am told by the CMs that this is now happening even on weekdays and there are lots of people in the stand-by lines being turned away every show.

So, to awnser the question, get your ticket before noon, some days they alst a bit longer, but I would rather be safe than sorry.

There are 1,200 tickets given out per show, leaving approximately 650 stand-by seats guaranteed and that's only if every single ticket holder shows up, my guess is approximately 800 stand-by guests are let in per show and they get nowhere near the seats they want to get, assuming you care where you sit.

rexfarms
01-28-2003, 07:19 PM
So just like the tickets for Blast? Where do they give them out?

Darkbeer
01-28-2003, 07:42 PM
Where do they give them out...

Well, they are still working on this, and haven't come up with a final solution.

Lately, the CM's, in their bellhop costumes start the day under the Golden Gate Bridge/Monorail track at opening, then move to the area in front of the Hollywood Pictures backlot (remember, they don't open the area at the same time as the rest of the park.) And then after the area opens, they move closer to the theater.

Something I hear they are talking about is something they did for the Whose Line FP's, which is placing the section you will sit at. (once again, something they are LOOKING at, no final decision yet).

They are getting people lining up quite early for the shows (even though they have FP's), and they are trying to find a way to make the crowds a bit easier to handle.

DisneyGuy03
01-28-2003, 08:15 PM
Where do they give them out...

Well, they are still working on this, and haven't come up with a final solution.
Actually, there has been a final solution for this, from Park Opening until Hollywood Backlot Opening they give them out under The golden Gate Bridge, once the Hollywood Backlot Opens they give them out at the entrance of the Backlot until somewhere aorund the first show, they then move to just in front of the Hyperion.

Something I hear they are talking about is something they did for the Whose Line FP's, which is placing the section you will sit at. (once again, something they are LOOKING at, no final decision yet).
This would only be for the Annual Pass Holder section.

EandCDad
01-28-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Darkbeer
Lately, the CM's, in their bellhop costumes start the day under the Golden Gate Bridge/Monorail track at opening, then move to the area in front of the Hollywood Pictures backlot (remember, they don't open the area at the same time as the rest of the park.) And then after the area opens, they move closer to the theater.

Originally posted by DisneyGuy03
Actually, there has been a final solution for this, from Park Opening until Hollywood Backlot Opening they give them out under The golden Gate Bridge, once the Hollywood Backlot Opens they give them out at the entrance of the Backlot until somewhere aorund the first show, they then move to just in front of the Hyperion.

Is there an echo in here?

You both have it wrong. First they give them out by the Golden Gate Bridge. Then, when the Hollywood Backlot opens, they give them our in front of the Backlot, then they move to in front of the theater itself.

sydney
01-28-2003, 08:34 PM
Not to echo too much.... but...

Since there is *some* degree of variablility in demand/process for tickets, my advice is simply to inquire at the info booth as soon as you get to the parks. Defineitly *get tickets* if you want to see the show, and ask a hyperion CM which line you should be in.

Enjoy the show, and good luck!

Darkbeer
01-28-2003, 08:48 PM
From today's Jim Hill Media column

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/main/index.htm

Here is the problem. The idea behind giving out advanced tickets to each day's performances is similar in concept to the Fast Pass program available for DCA and Disneyland's most popular attractions. The idea is that if you have a ticket that guarantees you admission to a specific show you will be free to enjoy the park until say thirty to forty minutes before show time instead of spending hours standing in line making sure that you get in to see the show. Due to the fact that a ticket only guarantees admission and not seating location guests with tickets queue up in advance of each performance nearly as early as the guests in the standby line.

At this time information about Aladdin ticket distribution does not appear on the Disneyland Resort website nor is it mentioned in the Guide to the Magic handouts given to guests as they enter either of the two theme parks. Hyperion staffers that I spoke with told me that this coming week there would be meetings with park management to discuss ways of improving upon the current system.

So please note that there are meetings planned for this week with TDA, so they are still working out the logisitics...

My recommendation, when you get to the park, walk towards the theater, you should find the Bellhop dressed CM's if you keep your eye out, no matter where they are set up.

If you don't find them, ask the CM near the Hyperion entrance.

DisneyGuy03
01-28-2003, 11:41 PM
Well, last I heard what the Hyperion CMs want is to have is to get real FastPass Machines to distribute the tickets, so we'll see. But the problem is, even if they specify which section you are in, you may want to be in a certain row (i.e. the front row)
IMHO what should happen is:
Continue using the Fastpass line as is and use the SuperStar Limo Que for those with tickets.

DisneyGuy03
01-30-2003, 10:37 AM
Hey Darkbeer, any idea on what was decided? I am planning on going either tommorow or Sat and need to know.

On a side note: I would put dates on the tickets as well to prevent later re-use of the tickets on a different day.

driftwood714
01-30-2003, 11:21 AM
What I am suggest is they try testing the Muppets Fastpass machines. Program them to only give out like 50-66 percent of the total theater seats to Fastpass Guests. Try it for a week and see how it goes. At least this way it'd be more fair than giving out 6 tickets per person until they're all gone. Maybe have each machine be designated for a show time. The only problem I can see with this are people trying to "scam" by saying they lost their ticket or whatever. Also, I can see problem where if the show time you want is already gone when you've scanned half your tickets.. But I suppose that's why there would be CMs staffed at the machines to make sure they can get tickets for the remaining members.

Darkbeer
01-30-2003, 12:28 PM
Driftwood, it should work...

And don't forget about the FastPass display, where they show the return window, if you program the FastPasses to have a small window that is equal to about 1/2 before show time, and when the allocated amount have been dispensed, then they can go immediately to the next show window. That should match up with the display, so folks would know what time of day they were getting before placing their passport/AP into the machine. But, alas we both know how many guests actually read the signs.... :rolleyes:

DisneyGuy, the meeting was for TDA to get some ideas from the front-line CM's working the area. It takes time for things to happen, once they have the meeting (and I don't know when it took place), they will have additional meetings, the second one will be just TDA folks, talking about what they heard, and what were good ideas, and what were bad ideas (in their opinion)...

So don't expect any quick changes...

sydney
01-30-2003, 08:29 PM
it should be noted that the system they set up should still allow people to pick the performance they want to get tickets to... so maybe the idea of having one machine per perforamance is a good one. I don't know about the "one ticket per media" issue. I can see both sides of that one.

IFlyAway
01-30-2003, 09:06 PM
I was at DCA this week (Tuesday) and I saw Aladdin twice (mediocre both times) and I was in the standby line both times. I waited to enter the standby line about 10 minutes before the show was scheduled to start and I was admitted both time and had great seats in the mezzanine. The Balcony section was not even opened. Even after the lights went down there were still plenty of mezz seats open. I went back over to the Hyperion for the last Aladdin show of the day just to see if anyone was denied entrance and once again everyone from the standby line was admitted. I guess it just depends on which day of the week you're there.

RStar
01-31-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by IFlyAway
I guess it just depends on which day of the week you're there.

Of course. A week day this time of year will be much better than a summer Saturday. I was there and saw it on Sat. 11:45 show. It was packed. I don't think there was a single empty seat.

The bad thing was that I had heard they weren't doing the AP reserved seats on the weekend. I asked any way, and they were doing it.

1) That was bad info #1 (that they weren't going to do it, but still did).

2) I asked where to go once I got there (at the door) and they said Mez. section. Ok, that's what I heard. So I headed there. Bad info #2.

3) As we were entering the announcement over the PA said "those with purple wrist bands, special tickets, and passes go to mez. section. Everyone else please go to bal. or orchestra." So I thought that meant APs as well, and I asked at the Koisk with the umbrellas. Yes they said. Bad info. #3

4) So as I entered the Mez. line where they split (Turnstile-like) I showed the CM my ticket with the Goofy sticker and asked if this was right and they said yes. Bad info #4.

So we go in and I see no roped off area in the Mez., and ask the CM at the rail if this is right. He said no, it's in the Orch. this time, and I look below and sure enough there is a roped off section down there. The purple wrist bands were for Radio Disney prizes, and they had most of the Mez. But there were two unused seats (2nd row, right center) and he let us take them.

So while we got close to the same seats we would have had otherwise, it sure would be nice if the theater management would have informed the CMs about the change.

And I don't want to complain, because I appreciate the special seating for the APs. (Although I still prefer first 3 or 4 rows of Orch.). It's the lack of communication that ticks me off. And I saw at least several other APs in my area just as confused, so I know it wasn't just my experience.

Anyone else go last Sat. 11:45 show?

treelofan
01-31-2003, 08:24 PM
weekdays are also crowded for aladdin show trust me i know & so are weekends it's just a pass to get in it's not a fastpass the give out 50 tickets for each show 9:30am is the best time to get the tickets cuz the 12:45 noon show tickets go fast i've gonna over 5 times to the shows & every show is a sellout show

DisneyGuy03
02-01-2003, 09:53 AM
Trust me, they give out way more than 50 tickets per show, but other than that I agree with you....they give out 1,200 tickets per show (according to the people that hand out the tickets) basically the tickets gurantee you a seat in the show, Stand-By is in no way guranted a seat......it is basically equivelant to the FP for Who Want's to Be a Millionaire....so, in that way it is a FP.

HeeHeeHeeHoHoHo
02-01-2003, 05:21 PM
I see a guarenteed seat with no wait / Aladdin dinner package soon.....

Perhaps by this summer.

Wizard69
02-01-2003, 10:27 PM
They give out 1200 tickets per show but alot of the time people take the tickets but do not show up to see the show. The most crowded show is usually the first one. Arrive early to get tickets!

PurpleDove33
02-02-2003, 12:19 AM
Once again, they are trying something differant in the way they give out the tickets. And today was the first day they did it this way and there were a lot of people who were not to happy about it either. Before they would have the podium under the bridge as you came in. Well today they weren't giving out the tickets until 11:00 and there was a line from the right corner of the HBL around the fountain almost to Flix. And the tickets have in big letters what time you need to be in line before. After the time on the tickets, the tickets will be not valid and then the stand by line will be let in. I am not sure if they are going to keep it this way or not. They said they are going to have to wait and see how this works out.

MonorailMan
02-02-2003, 04:44 AM
When we had to do the ticket deal, ours told us to arrive 45 minutes until showtime. We arrived 5 minutes, and were still let in, without having to wait in the stand-by line. :rolleyes:

DisneyGuy03
02-02-2003, 07:34 AM
That was indeed the old way of doing it.