PDA

View Full Version : Indy's Mara Not A Godess??

Disney Fan Matt
07-18-2001, 09:13 PM
On the Indiana Jones effects spoiler thread, it was stated that Mara was in fact a male God. I always thought that he? was female based on the murals in the first room of the temple, and the four sided column in the second room.
Then again, the voice of Mara while on the ride, "You looked into the eyes of Mara, your path now lies beyond the gates of doom" has a male voice.
Now I am confused.
So is Mara male or female??

JRob2k1
07-18-2001, 09:41 PM
I think Mara is genderless...Or maybe just really confused;)

Think of Mara as the "Pat" of the diety's. I wonder if it gets teased...

-JRob

Napsto
07-18-2001, 11:32 PM
i never thoguht about htis before.

CaliforniaCrazy
07-19-2001, 01:39 AM
I don't think I have ever heard of Mara being called either a God or a Goddess. That is a good question, though. He (or she) has a male voice, yet looks like a woman. I think Mara is probably confused about his/her gender as well! ;)

rob
07-19-2001, 06:43 AM
Isn't Mara a diety of illusion? And then gender would be just one more illusion.

Napsto
07-22-2001, 02:50 AM
so which one is it?

Disney Fan Matt
08-01-2001, 09:18 PM
Does anyone know of any official explaination for this?
Seems that none of us here (especially me) can decide on this! :)
It is just strange because Mara has always been there, but this subject has never really come up.

Ralph Wiggum
08-01-2001, 09:40 PM
I just think of the voice as a mysterous voice in the temple but not necessarily Mara herself!!!!

Morrigoon
08-02-2001, 12:14 AM
Just as Marabic is a made up language, I would suggest that Mara is probably also made up (no risk of offending any of the religions that way). If you want to get all anthropological about it... I would suggest you look at the paintings of mara, keeping in mind the possible cultures mara could have sprung from. The main thing you have to decide is, is mara supposed to be from india or south america?
Taking the assumption that mara is indian (though my argument is that that is a very south american looking temple), now look at how that culture has historically portrayed men and women.

Not being immediately able to research this, I'm going to depend on someone else checking this out - is mara ever shown as blue? Middle-eastern (specifically non-muslim) art often shows men and women in different colors, the women usually being normally colored, and the men being painted blue. So that may be one way to determine it. Beyond that, I'd have to check myself. I've always gone on the assumption that Mara is a female, but upon closer examination, I think I have to go with the opinion that Mara is a male.

Interesting discussion Matt!