PDA

View Full Version : Californians - When is your Spring Break, specifically?

Pages : [1] 2

stinkerbell
01-26-2003, 10:43 PM
Now I know you will all have differing answers.....and that's what I want. :)

We are planning a birthday trip to DLR in April for Cassidy's fifth birthday, but just figured out that her birthday falls during the week after Easter and I'm afraid that there are a lot of districts that still do Spring Break the week after Easter.

Most Oregon districts used to, but changed to the third week in March several years ago.

Any help to avoid crowds would be great. We like the off-season crowds and don't mind missing shows, parades, fireworks, and the like. We're usually there between Oct. and March, and never close to the crowded times.....:D Well, except that pesky World Series week, oops!

Thanks!! Also, what is Easter like at Disneyland? That might be the day we get there....which would be interesting.

tiggerandtink
01-26-2003, 10:57 PM
We did DL on Easter two years past and it was a decent sized crowd, but nothing compared to the summer. The crowd probably doubled from morning to afternoon though and consisted mainly of kids hopped-up on Peeps and JellyBellys. I don't believe that they had any Easter themed activities unless they did an egghunt really early. It was my 1st Easter @DL and I was expecting something like they do at Xmas, I don't know what, maybe a show with all the bunnies on Walt's payroll. That makes it sound like the Playboy mansion, but you know what I mean. I wonder what Hef does for Easter?;)

bluepearl
01-26-2003, 11:12 PM
Ooh! A birthday trip! That's exactly what I'm doing for my birthday, only it won't be at our Disneyland - I'm taking my family to Disney World!

Anyhow, my spring break starts the week starting 23 March 2003. That's also the temporary end of my life as a college student, as I'm graduating with my BS in Business Admin. I went on an Easter weekend about two years ago and it wasn't too bad. Of course, I went with a friend who knows how to budget his time so we made good time everywhere! I don't remember there being big crowds, but perhaps I went on one of the off days.

MammaSilva
01-27-2003, 01:28 AM
Our schools go on breaK from April 14-18th in this area and I know it is that same week for the LA unified district because my niece teaches for them.. hope that helps a little...

Sharby
01-27-2003, 01:49 AM
Well, you probably won't have to worry about Disneyland being overrun with Canadians. . . . most of our kids get Spring Break annually as the 3rd full week in March (March 17 to 21st this year). And yes, they do get April 18 and 21st off as well.

Also, the dismal rate of exchange ensures that most trips south of the border are planned to "maximize the magic and minimize the money" :D

MouseWife
01-27-2003, 06:16 AM
I am not sure of the dates, I only know that the local school has the week of Easter off, maybe a couple of days before or after, if they were able to sneak something in.

The year round school my son attends, gets the week after off, also. There are quite a few local year rounds on that schedule, too.

I have never been for Easter. The only thing I can think of are things that could be happening at the resort hotels. I think the Disneyland Hotel hosts a big breakfast and I do think I remember reading about an egg hunt for the hotel guests. I would most definitely check with the hotel. If they can't help you, I am sure someone on here who knows for sure will say.

This sounds like a really fun time for y'all!!

mettlerca
01-27-2003, 06:28 AM
Many of the California Community Colleges are off from March 15-23. (There are 108 of these colleges throughout California.) My daughter's school is out from April 12-20. Have fun! :)

mad4mky
01-27-2003, 08:02 AM
My kids get the week before Easter off. I wish it were the week after...but unfortunately, its not.

But...we are up north of LA...but a lot of families still go during that week, as its only a short drive (well 6 hours) drive away to DLR.

After The World Series weekend there...you should be able to handle any crowd!;)

DisneyGuy03
01-27-2003, 09:43 AM
Specifically, look at spring break being all of march and april for some school or another, with the majority being end of march through mid-april and DLs special stuff for spring break happening in mid-april as well.

teri
01-27-2003, 09:54 AM
April 12-20. Many local families go to Disneyland during the break - we run into people from our kids' schools on every trip.

stinkerbell
01-27-2003, 12:39 PM
Yea!!! Thanks all!! I already feel a lot better. I've been to Disneyland during Oregon's Spring Break before and have always seen people we know there, too. And these are Oregonians. (: And it was always so busy, but the hours were still short, and the lines so long....I'd just rather avoid the Spring Breakers as much as possible.

Unfortunately, we have to pay peak season prices, but I'd rather do that and avoid crowds. We'll probably arrive late Sat., enjoy Easter Sunday at DLR, and go to DL through Thurs., then head home Friday. I'm just glad I don't have a child with a summer birthday!!! :) I am such a line and heat wuss. Heat is for tanning, not walking around on concrete and waiting in lines, people.

It sounds like the week after Easter is going to be our best bet, and we'll actually be there for her birthday, which is that Wednesday. She and I already have our AP's, so that's exciting, they'll be able to wish her a happy birthday as her AP goes through the little machine. Of course, I will be more excited for that moment, than she will be, but whatever. :rolleyes: :D We went for Courtney's fifth bday too, and it was such a magical day for her.

And yes.... after surviving the World Series weekend.....I guess I can put up with just about anything!!! :eek: ;) That was horrible!

MickeyD
01-27-2003, 01:48 PM
Our school district does take the week after Easter for Spring Break, FYI.

mettlerca
01-27-2003, 04:14 PM
Many of the California Community Colleges are off from March 15-23. (There are 108 of these colleges throughout California.) My daughter's school is out from April 12-20. Have fun! :)

Morrigoon
01-27-2003, 04:25 PM
My school (USC) is the same as above.

SusanP.
01-27-2003, 05:36 PM
The school district I work for, in Orange County, is off the week of the 14th. Can't wait!

experiment626
01-27-2003, 07:23 PM
Northern California here and my DD's have the week after Easter off and YES! we will be at Disneyland that week.

cemeinke
01-27-2003, 07:44 PM
I plan on taking my Spring Break around April 9th, so I can celebrate Not Afraid's Birthday. I think Easter's later in the month.

My Company gives it's employees the option of taking Easter Monday off - it should be insanely crowded that day with temperatures in the 90s. Many attractions will go down and several guests will start bathing in the sub lagoon to beat the heat. Many of these same people will not be fashionably dressed, with some showing off body parts that are better left unseen.

DisneyGuy03
01-27-2003, 10:16 PM
My Company gives it's employees the option of taking Easter Monday off - it should be insanely crowded that day with temperatures in the 90s. Many attractions will go down and several guests will start bathing in the sub lagoon to beat the heat. Many of these same people will not be fashionably dressed, with some showing off body parts that are better left unseen.

ROFLOL....So how many threads did you combine here?

MammaSilva
01-27-2003, 10:48 PM
if he had mentioned snacking on GS cookies he'd have the record I think LOL

stinkerbell
01-27-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by cemeinke

My Company gives it's employees the option of taking Easter Monday off - it should be insanely crowded that day with temperatures in the 90s. Many attractions will go down and several guests will start bathing in the sub lagoon to beat the heat. Many of these same people will not be fashionably dressed, with some showing off body parts that are better left unseen. Okay, soooo we'll be staying home. :D :D I am dying laughing!!!

Thanks all!!!

DisneyGuy03
01-28-2003, 09:40 AM
if he had mentioned snacking on GS cookies he'd have the record I think LOL
So, then it should have said:

"My Company gives it's employees the option of taking Easter Monday off - it should be insanely crowded that day with temperatures in the 90s. Many attractions will go down and several guests will start bathing in the sub lagoon to beat the heat, while eating GS Cookies. Many of these same people will not be fashionably dressed, with some showing off body parts that are better left unseen, who will also go to Downtown Disney, after leaving from the recently reopened Haunted Mansion, only to get bombed by murders of crows. They then will return to Disneyland and go to First Aid to wash it off. They will then ride the purple and pink carousel as it has no line for it and it just reopened as well. Then, if Sleeping Beaut Castle Walkthrough is indeed open, as it is reported to be, they will take a stroll through there to beat the heat as well."

Ok, I am not nearly as good with it, but there's my attempt.

cemeinke
01-28-2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by DisneyGuy03
So, then it should have said:

"My Company gives it's employees the option of taking Easter Monday off - it should be insanely crowded that day with temperatures in the 90s. Many attractions will go down and several guests will start bathing in the sub lagoon to beat the heat, while eating GS Cookies. Many of these same people will not be fashionably dressed, with some showing off body parts that are better left unseen, who will also go to Downtown Disney, after leaving from the recently reopened Haunted Mansion, only to get bombed by murders of crows. They then will return to Disneyland and go to First Aid to wash it off. They will then ride the purple and pink carousel as it has no line for it and it just reopened as well. Then, if Sleeping Beaut Castle Walkthrough is indeed open, as it is reported to be, they will take a stroll through there to beat the heat as well."

Ok, I am not nearly as good with it, but there's my attempt.

I think my copyright has been infringed - DisneyGuy03 , you'll hear from my lawyers in the morning
:p

DisneyGuy03
01-28-2003, 06:28 PM
Sorry, I gave credit for the first part (credit is implied in this case) and I changed it significantly. :D

Sophie832
01-29-2003, 09:54 PM
I'm at Cal State Dominguez Hills, and our spring break is March 31 - April 4. Just thought I would add that set of dates. I'm glad to see they don't coincide with many other schools.

stinkerbell
01-30-2003, 07:13 AM
Thanks all!!! I'm starting to get excited again. We haven't done the entire family trip since Oct. 2001....I've just snuck down a few times with my girls, one at a time. I can't wait to take Chloe, now that she's two.

I'm willing to overlook the closed Castle walk-through (they actually closed it the day I was there in Oct. 2001), the fashion faux pas (although I don't promise to not take photos of really funny clothes...), and I can deal with new Carousel colors.....but I can't deal with a million spring breakers. ;)

Thanks again. :)