PDA

View Full Version : George Kalogridis named new President of the Disneyland Resort

AVP
10-12-2009, 01:07 PM
Source: Disney press release / Reuters

ANAHEIM, Calif., Oct. 12 -- George Kalogridis, a 38-year Disney veteran and former Disneyland executive, has been named president of the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California. Kalogridis most recently served as chief operating officer for Disneyland Resort Paris, where he was responsible for leading the operations team and overseeing the highly successful 15th anniversary celebration of the resort.

Kalogridis, 55, will report to Al Weiss, president of Worldwide Operations for Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. He replaces Ed Grier, who is retiring from the company.

"George is a proven strategic thinker whose operational expertise and strong leadership skills will serve him well in leading the Disneyland Resort," said Weiss. "We are excited to welcome him back to California and look forward to his leadership as we continue to expand and grow this beloved place."

From 2000 to 2002, Kalogridis served as senior vice president of Resort Operations for the Disneyland Resort, where he played a significant role in the first expansion of the resort - the opening of Disney's California Adventure park and Downtown Disney. In addition, he was responsible for the daily operations of both theme parks and three hotels, as well as Downtown Disney.

"I am thrilled to be returning to Disneyland, particularly during this exciting time of significant expansion," said Kalogridis. "I look forward to working with the Cast who make the magic for our Guests everyday and partnering with the Orange County community to ensure the Anaheim Resort Area continues to thrive."

During Kalogridis' tenure with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, he has held numerous executive positions, gaining a breadth of experience beyond operations and sales. In addition to his leadership roles in both Paris and Anaheim, Kalogridis served as vice president of Travel Operations at Walt Disney World in Orlando. Kalogridis also served as vice president of Walt Disney World's EPCOT park, where, in addition to overseeing park operations, he led the Millennium Celebration for The Walt Disney Company.

Kalogridis started his career with the company in 1971 as a busboy at the opening of the Contemporary Resort at Walt Disney World. For more than five years, he served as general manager of the Grand Floridian Beach Resort. He has held executive roles in Human Resources at Walt Disney World and served as one of the original Cast Members on the Disneyland Resort Paris development team in 1988.

K & S
10-12-2009, 02:28 PM
From 2000 to 2002, Kalogridis served as senior vice president of Resort Operations for the Disneyland Resort, where he played a significant role in the first expansion of the resort - the opening of Disney's California Adventure park and Downtown Disney. In addition, he was responsible for the daily operations of both theme parks and three hotels, as well as Downtown Disney.

Oh my...

houseofmouse
10-12-2009, 02:34 PM
It says he helped open it, not design and plan out what was to become the park.

cstephens
10-12-2009, 02:54 PM

Oh my...

Funny, I think that the part I've highlighted would be more important to consider in how he might do as president of the resort.

disneyland addict13
10-12-2009, 03:26 PM
The beginning of the press release states that he is 38 years old. However, towards the end, it says that he was a busboy in 1971, which would not be possible if he is 38. Also, the second paragraph seems to say that he's 55 years old. Can anyone clear this up?

After the fact: Just realized that he is a 38 year Disney veteran. He's not 38 years old. Silly me :)

olegc
10-12-2009, 03:30 PM
as stated - having to run mutliple things at once will always prepare you for the top spot at a Disney resort. I think George has a leg up in a couple of spots in that he had a hand in operations of the DLR resort, as well as handling massive travel requirements for WDW, then a single park in Epcot, then also his Disneyland Paris gig. The 15th anniversary was a pretty huge event and from what I have read online it was quite well done.

I think, though, that the 3 year shuffle is here to stay for resort presidents and George will be gone in another 3 years. he's been with the company a long time already and seems to have done it all. He is returning to where he once worked, similar to Ouimet and Emmer. so it's all laid out for him to be successful -launch of dCA in 2010 and 2011, modest improvements to Disneyland, significant changes to hotels.

Here's my point, though. To me - it seems ever since DCA and DTD were created, corporate has had this notion that Anaheim MUST be a multi-day, long term stay resort where folks come and spend - a lot - and stay here instead of going elsewhere. I know no one at corporate has said that - but in reflecting on the exit of all previous presidents it just seems that after a while - if Disneyland Anaheim is not running like WDW - then someone somewhere is saying they did not get there and we need someone new.

I know, I know - Pressler and Harriss were more of a bad fit than not being able to create change - but it seems to me the park and resort is always trying to do something for corporate's benefit - while still trying to grab the revenue of the annual pass for locals (but, alas, not doing much else).

darph nader
10-13-2009, 01:43 PM
Is it me,or at a quick glance,does he look like Charlie Sheen with a different hair cut? :eyeroll:

The old man
10-13-2009, 02:26 PM
Continuing the press release, "We hope that he will be in this position a long time. We are hoping for at least five years.

cstephens
10-13-2009, 02:35 PM
The Disney Parks blog has posted a video interview with him. (http://tinyurl.com/yjwhaur)

Niwel
10-13-2009, 03:06 PM
The Disney Parks blog has posted a video interview with him. (http://tinyurl.com/yjwhaur)

I actually found him very down to earth and appreciated the answers to some of ths "get to know you" questions. This guy DOES seem to have an understanding of what makes the company work.

olegc
10-14-2009, 07:09 AM
DLRP Today posted a review of his tenure. Good and bad points. I think, though, it's overall good for Disneyland Resort.

maxxm
10-14-2009, 10:21 PM

He gets bonus points in my book for saying "Soarin" instead of "Soarin over California and Disney's California Adventure Park" ... like certain other presidents might have.. ;)

He seems genuine.. I have high hopes for the changes to come.