PDA

View Full Version : HM Re-Opens

LIMANDL4EVA
01-25-2003, 03:24 PM
Any trip reports from DL with HM being open and all? Any changes maybe? I've already seen a pic of a new handicap ramp, but thats about it.

Undertaker72
01-25-2003, 04:02 PM
Me and my sisters and nephew are going tomorrow. We will let you know.:-)

Germboy
01-25-2003, 04:16 PM
I went late last night and they were open, but I didn't go on.

cemeinke
01-25-2003, 04:46 PM
We went last night, so here are some of the changes I noticed:

First, there is a new Wheelchair ramp, which has required the hearse to be moved aside a bit so that the "ghost horse" is now standing partway in the bushes. I presume they'll probably reposition this in the future.

The queue now has 3 sections which I suspect are intended for standby, fastpass, and SAP - though the croeds were small so they weren't all in use.

The HMH tribute to the mechanical cymbol playing monkeys in the pet cemitary is gone - or perhaps better hidden since we didn't make it that far down the queue.

There were no hidden Mickey place settings in the Ballroom - but I suspect that will soon change.

There's a new table & set of chairs out in the middle of the ballroom, with books (from the now closed library?) scattered upon and around.

The projections on the singing busts and little Leota have been cleaned and are much clearer

That's all I can remember right now

LIMANDL4EVA
01-25-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by cemeinke
We went last night, so here are some of the changes I noticed:

The HMH tribute to the mechanical cymbol playing monkeys in the pet cemitary is gone - or perhaps better hidden since we didn't make it that far down the queue.

What do you mean? I know that they are gone from the ride, but I didn't know there was a tribute. Maybe a tombstone or something?

Is the old man back in place where Jack was, or is he still in the Disney Gallery?

How long did you have to wait?

cemeinke
01-25-2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by LIMANDL4EVA
What do you mean? I know that they are gone from the ride, but I didn't know there was a tribute. Maybe a tombstone or something?

Yup, a tombstone (http://www.linkline.com/personal/cemeinke/img/Monkey%20Tribute.jpg) appeared after they vanished.

Is the old man back in place where Jack was, or is he still in the Disney Gallery?
[/B]

He's left the Gallery and in his appropriate place - though seemingly not as well lit.

How long did you have to wait?
[/B]

It was a walk-on on Friday, but attendence seemed unusually low that day.

DisneyGuy03
01-25-2003, 10:37 PM
Ok, I just got back and here's how the que works: Far Left remains the Stand-By, middle is Fastpass and generally SAP/Wheel-Chair Entrance (I bet come next holiday season this will change to the far right as well) and the far right is actually for exiting wheel-chairs, in order to avoid havign to navigate around others, there is also an alcove for wheel-chairs to wait for others to exit in, right by the Handicap ramp, so the hurst can't be moved, but I suspect the landscaping will change as well, the little alcove type thing is right behind where the hurst used to be. I also noticed the new couches and such, I didn't go through the regular que, so I didn't get to see if the Monkey Tribute is still there, I'll try to ask next time I go, if I remember.

lindyhop
01-26-2003, 08:18 PM
I went today, walked on about 7:00 PM, there was no line at all.

In general the ride seemed much darker than I remembered but I don't know if I can trust my memory on much of this. There was a shadow playing the organ in the attic. And I don't remember seeing ghosts entering the ballroom/dining room from the hearse over at the right side of the room before. Is that different or is it just my inattention in the past?

Matterhorn Fan
01-26-2003, 08:34 PM
Both of those effects were there before. It's possible because of cleaning/lighting that they're easier to see now (but I haven't seen it since it was HMH, so I couldn't say).

Laffite
01-26-2003, 08:37 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I miss HMH :(

lindyhop
01-26-2003, 08:40 PM
Me, too. It's so plain without all the extra stuff. But everything looks like that when you take down the Christmas decorations!

Laffite
01-26-2003, 10:12 PM
Yea. Esp the graveyard. Now it's kinda boring (blasphemy!) but HMH is like one big partay! with lots of music.

drjones
01-27-2003, 07:40 AM
i went twice this weekend. It was mrs. dr jones' first time seeing the original HM. (Every time we've gone it has been during the holiday's.) I was surprised to see that she was as obsessed with it as me. I did notice that the busts and little leota were clearer. I got a great video of the busts for all 1 min of GGG. (the doombuggies stopped for loading while we were smack dab in front of the mellowmen. ) LAst nght alone we went on 3 or 4 times. No line, it was kinda cool. the CM's kept looking at us and saying "Again?"

odnamraortsac
01-27-2003, 03:43 PM
Saturday when I attempted to get a H.M. Fastpass (while holding an Indiana Jones Fastpass) I was refused one because I had a current Indy pass. Is the H.M. still on the lock-out system as it was during the Haunted Mansion Holiday? I also cannot recall ever having seen the "Shadow Figure" playing the piano in the Attic scene. Itīs a good effect.

tabacco
01-27-2003, 04:00 PM
I know the shadow piano player has been there before, because it's been one of my favorite effects for years :)

Ace
01-27-2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Laffite
I don't know about you guys, but I miss HMH :(

ABSENCE MAKES THE HEART GROW FONDER, homie.

DisneyGuy03
01-27-2003, 10:57 PM
Is the H.M. still on the lock-out system as it was during the Haunted Mansion Holiday?
I would like to know the answer to this as well.

DLfreak
01-27-2003, 10:58 PM
I agree, I miss HMH. :( But only 7 months till it comes back! ;) :)

I also can vouch for the shadow playing the piano in the attic....that has been one of my favorite things also. :)
And I hope they didn't take away the monkey tombstone! I didn't get a chance to see it! :(

I haven't been on it yet since it re-opened, but I'm sure it will seem darker to me. I thought it was a lot lighter during HMH, so they probably went back to it being darker.

Pony Sugrue
01-30-2003, 04:04 PM
I really don't miss HMH. All that stuff is so obnoxious. I love the Mansion just the way it is... in its 60's/"Ghost and Mr. Chicken-esc" glory. It is also nice to have it less crowded now.

As far as the piano player goes... I have always seen it there... but now it is incredibly pronounced and fluid. I can see how one might think that it was new as it is more noticable.

By the way, near the end of the attic, to your left, opposite the bride, is a portrait on the floor. I'm willing to bet that it is a portrait/sketching of James Madison. It is too dark to really confirm it. Does anyone know?

Also does anyone know why (or when) they replaced Marc Davis' original "Stretching Portraits" with the ones they have now? They have been the way they are now as long as I can remember... but if you watch "Disneyland Showtime" (the documentary that shows the opening and backstory to the HAUNTED MANSION), it shows Marc's original paintings in the stretching room.

Phineas85
02-02-2003, 01:05 PM
Are you sure you saw Marc's paintings ACTUALLY in the room?

I was under the impression that they were just a prototype that was copied by other artisits.

However, if they WERE there on opening day, I would guess that they were replaced after the first general rehab as they are periodically re-painted and replaced due to wear and tear - and I can't imagine Davis re-painting them just for a rehab. He may have done the originals and then handed over to other Disney artisits.

Of the two versions, I think I prefer the DYNAMITE MAN and TOMBSTONE LADY we see now to Davis' originals. Dynamite Man looks too demonic in Davis' painting and I prefer Tombstone Lady with gray hair.

I don't like the other current ones as Tightrope girl looks too sour-faced and the Quick Sand Men's skin tones are funny colors.

mousey_girl
02-02-2003, 01:13 PM
The Mickey head is back on the table. The busts looked great, as did Leota.

The music seemed different in the graveyard scene, but I'm not positive. It could just be my memory playing tricks.

Also, I just realized that the pop-up ghosts in the attic are saying "I do" to the bride...