PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Legs

mswong40
10-12-2009, 07:51 AM
Morning Everyone! On my morning show in Tucson today I was hearing that the Turkey legs at DL are supposedly Emu meat. Apparently a lot of places.....ie: county fairs, use them without telling consumers they are indeed emu meat, rather than Turkey.

Is this true???

(sorry.....if someone has previously thread on this topic)

TowerofTerror
10-12-2009, 11:30 AM
wow if they emu meat they are still very good tasting

TikiGeek
10-12-2009, 11:37 AM
Have you ever seen an emu leg? They are at least 5 times the size of a big turkey leg - that would be one heck of a huge drumstick! :p

houseofmouse
10-12-2009, 02:35 PM
Emu legs are huge!
Personally I think they taste like ham. :eek:

backsthepack
10-12-2009, 03:45 PM
Another reason that they are just gross! Seriously though, I doubt that they could get away with that. I am sure there are rules about not telling the truth about what you are serving.

Tan Da Man
10-12-2009, 05:52 PM
I heard this on the radio today too..it was an urban legend, a caller said it was confirmed on snopes.com or something, they farm the emu's in such a way that they resemble the size of a turkey or something..I dunno, I was more focusing on my crazy driving because I was running late..

Seashellmama
10-12-2009, 11:30 PM
It is, of course, an absurdity.

No, it's not confirmed true on snopes; there are various discussions on the snopes message boards about the absurdity of the idea, though.

stan4d_steph
10-13-2009, 07:38 AM
Totally false, and ridiculous that anyone believes this.

ellemoon
10-13-2009, 11:11 AM
county fairs are a LOT different than disneyland. I can see carnivals getting away with emu meat (for a limited ammount of time) but it would be all over the news if disneyland used a type of meat and said it was something else, ecspecially something like emu! somewhere as big and serving as many people as disneyland has to follow all the laws and codes, I doubt they would risk getting sued as much as they would otherwise!

has anyone tried emu? does it taste similar? I've never had emu or the turkey legs- I'm too much of a messy eater anyway and I wouldn't even attempt to embarrass myself by trying to eat one :eyeroll:

MammaSilva
10-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Considering the price difference between an emu and a turkey setting all the truth in advertising issues aside, why would any business offer a more expensive option as a lower price point poultry? Not good business sense.

Gothboy
10-13-2009, 12:30 PM
Perhaps they use baby emu's... The legs are really salty and I've never seen turkey legs pink like that.

Malcon10t
10-13-2009, 12:46 PM
Perhaps they use baby emu's... The legs are really salty and I've never seen turkey legs pink like that.Well, like MammaSilva said, emu meat sells for close to $7 a lb, whereas turkey is considerably cheaper. I seriously doubt they would spend more money and call it something that is cheaper. I would see more places doing the opposite... selling turkey legs and calling them emu legs.

Gothboy
10-13-2009, 02:37 PM
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/FactSheets/Is_Pink_Turkey_Meat_Safe/index.asp

The old man
10-13-2009, 04:11 PM
Emu wouldn't work-- it doesn't taste like turkey--it tastes like chicken!

stan2u
10-13-2009, 04:20 PM
Emu wouldn't work-- it doesn't taste like turkey--it tastes like chicken!

You beat me to it -- what doesn't?

BlkPearlCptn
10-13-2009, 04:41 PM
I've had Emu (and Ostrich - both taste similar). Emu is definitely more "gamey" in taste than turkey. The turkey legs at Disneyland don't taste anything like Emu at all. (Unless you've been raised on wild game..most people don't like the taste of exotic meats) Plus, besides the Truth in Advertising laws...you would be paying a lot more if it was, indeed, Emu.;)

Z3ro to H3ro
10-13-2009, 04:59 PM
When we rotisserie cook turkey on our grill, the inside turns pink when cooked. The first time I tried it I didn't want to eat it cause it looked under cooked. But they say it's supposed to be pink.
:)

Duh... lol just saw you're link Gothboy. I should start reading more before posting :D my bad.

Teddi
10-13-2009, 07:02 PM
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/FactSheets/...Safe/index.asp

Right... they are perfectly cooked and can be pink. They (legs) are dark meat and like the article pointed out, the legs are "dark" meat- the dark pigmentation is literally from the fact that slow muscle fibers (dark meat) have alot more myoglobin in them. Under certain cooking conditions (think crock pot and other instances) meat can be very "pink" and still be cooked just fine.

darph nader
10-13-2009, 08:00 PM
I heard this on the radio today too..it was an urban legend, a caller said it was confirmed on snopes.com or something, they farm the emu's in such a way that they resemble the size of a turkey or something..I dunno, I was more focusing on my crazy driving because I was running late..

And this is why I don't listen to morning radio. Only Alice Cooper at Nights. :cool:

zombie pirate
10-13-2009, 09:45 PM
I like turkey drumsticks, but they dont sound like something I would want to eat at Disneyland, just give me some popcorn, and a frozen banana.