PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Bring Back Peoplemover

Pages : [1] 2 3

Imaginears
10-06-2009, 03:21 PM
It's been discussed on this site before, what attractions would you like to see brought back. Some agreed with me about th Peoplemover and for all those who are still holding out hope, there is a petition to bring it back. A website Peoplefor the Peoplmover.org is collecting signatures. Please add your name to the list and help in returning the priceless attraction. The idea is not far fetched. The tract for the people movers remains intact and with the success of bringing back the subs and the castle tour, perhaps Disney operators will realise the power of nostalgia for all those who used to love it. Long before I was tall enough to ride Space mountain and Big Thunder Mountain, everyone in the family could enjoy a scenic view of Tomorrowland on the Peoplemover!!! And, it would really breath life in an area of the park that continues to feel stagnat, despite improvements. "AWorld onthe Move" no longer applies without the Peoplemover gliding overhead. Please sign and encourage friends and family to sign. This is an attainable Disney wish! Thank-you

Bob Weaver
10-06-2009, 03:36 PM
http://www.peopleforthepeoplemover.org/

I loved the PeopleMover. Now if someone would do this same thing for Mine Train thru Nature's Wonderland and Adventure Thru Inner Space, Disneyland could be on its way back to a state of glory again.

club33az
10-06-2009, 03:52 PM
While I agree with putting something up on the tracks, I do not want the same old People Mover back. Move forward, people. Like the People Mover. Tomorrowland is about the future, not the past.

Now if someone would do this same thing for Mine Train thru Nature's Wonderland and Adventure Thru Inner Space, Disneyland could be on its way back to a state of glory again. No......just, no. Stop it! The way to glory again is not thru the past! That's not what Walt and the Imagineers did when they created these attractions. Let's not start doing that now.

Bob Weaver
10-06-2009, 03:53 PM
The way to glory again is removing the inferior (Star Tours, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad) and restore the superior (Mine Train, ATIS) and then move forward. You have to correct the enormous mistakes first.

club33az
10-06-2009, 03:57 PM
The way to glory again is removing the inferior (Star Tours, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad) and restore the superior (Mine Train, ATIS) and then move forward. You have to correct the enormous mistakes first.I've been on all of the above. I like it the way it is, thanks. I like nostalgia. That doesn't mean I want Disneyland to stagnate in it.

Bytebear
10-06-2009, 03:58 PM
I think the People Mover will come back, but I don't see it happening any time soon. There is just too much work to do in Disney's California Adventure right now. Disneyland has so much to see and do, I can't imagine such a massive undertaking at this time. I also wonder how strong the current tracks really are. What if they need to retrofit, or worse, replace the existing track? That's going to be expensive.

You know what I really think they need? A parking structure near the Gardenwalk with tram service, and an extension of the monorail to it, as well as to the Mickey and Friends structure.

Bob Weaver
10-06-2009, 04:03 PM
So when they decide Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion have run their course and close those, you're not going to protest, right? Because you don't want Disneyland to stagnate.

Bytebear
10-06-2009, 04:13 PM
So when they decide Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion have run their course and close those, you're not going to protest, right? Because you don't want Disneyland to stagnate.

Not if it's replaced with something better. Do you want the Mickey Mouse Theater instead of Pinocchio? Do you want Holiday Hill picnic area instead of the Matterhorn? The problem is, I don't see the original People Mover as anything remotely comparable to the Haunted Mansion or Pirates.

trypticon
10-06-2009, 05:38 PM
I'd be pretty happy if they got rid of Pirates the way it is now.

I'd also be happy if they got rid of Haunted Mansion Holiday.

TowerofTerror
10-06-2009, 06:24 PM
I would love if the Peoplemover was to come back

lauramaynot
10-06-2009, 06:42 PM
I signed. I personally am up for anything that uses the empty spaces at DL.

houseofmouse
10-06-2009, 07:45 PM
The way to glory again is removing the inferior (Star Tours, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad) and restore the superior (Mine Train, ATIS) and then move forward. You have to correct the enormous mistakes first.

Are you being sarcastic? Really Mine Train over Big Thunder? They are giving Star Tours a facelift. As much as I liked Journey Through Inner Space when I got a bit older, I don't think it needs to come back.

They can bring back the People Mover as something newer, better and with the idea of making it last a long long time.

club33az
10-06-2009, 08:35 PM
I would love if the Peoplemover was to come backSo would I. But not as it was before. We've seen that. We've done that. Move on to something better.

Are you being sarcastic? Really Mine Train over Big Thunder? They are giving Star Tours a facelift. As much as I liked Journey Through Inner Space when I got a bit older, I don't think it needs to come back.

They can bring back the People Mover as something newer, better and with the idea of making it last a long long time.
Couldn't agree more.

club33az
10-06-2009, 08:39 PM
So when they decide Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion have run their course and close those, you're not going to protest, right? Because you don't want Disneyland to stagnate.You're right, I won't protest. I just won't go to Disneyland anymore. That has more of an impact on Disney than any picket line or petition.
And, as someone else said here, you're honestly comparing Pirates of the Caribbean to the People Mover? Really?

I'll say it again. Walt and the original Imagineers would never go back. They kept moving forward.

Ish68
10-06-2009, 09:45 PM
i also do not like the idea of disneyland becoming a museum by bringing back old retired attractions. ATIS and mine train ran their course its time to leave those in yesterland

The peoplemover i would be for only if it was not an exact replica of the slow moving attraction that died a slow death. An attraction like that works well at WDW because of its bigger tourist groups but disneyland needs attractions that will not just be nostalgic for annual passholders that eventually loose interest in them

As for the mine train, i see the possibility of something similar being built at DCA in the future but never at Disneyland.

LLevy
10-07-2009, 07:46 AM
To me, the problem is that they are replacing nice quiet FAMILY rides with big fast screaming "you must be this tall to ride" stuff. we seem to forget that disney wanted a place where the family could go on rides TOGETHER!! so to me, the people mover, mine train, and inner space are much better- in that respect- then what replaced them.

LL

club33az
10-07-2009, 08:04 AM
To me, the problem is that they are replacing nice quiet FAMILY rides with big fast screaming "you must be this tall to ride" stuff. we seem to forget that disney wanted a place where the family could go on rides TOGETHER!! so to me, the people mover, mine train, and inner space are much better- in that respect- then what replaced them.

LLYeah, but you have to remember, since ATIS, Mine Train and PM went away and were replaced with faster, "you have to be so tall to ride" attractions, they've added ALOT of family rides (all of ToonTown, Winnie the Pooh, Bugs Land in DCA, etc.). I think, on the whole, the family attractions are way up even with the loss of ATIS, Mine Train and PM.

And I'm not suggesting that a new PM be zipping down the tracks ala Rocket Rods. Just something a little more up to date and new.

Z3ro to H3ro
10-07-2009, 08:31 AM
How about if they keep what they have now, rip out some of the backlot warehouses and add rides there (new or old). Then build a gigantor warehouse somewhere else to store stuff. Look on Google at satellite view... there is TONS of expanding space.

That or start ripping out Downtown Disney and making that part of the park. :D

IllusionOfLife
10-07-2009, 08:56 AM

Now lets inject a little bit of reality into these situations. You may have loved those attractions back when they were still around, a love that has onlt grown stronger by nostalgia. However, they have been replaced by attractions that are loved in their own right. In fact I'd wager to say that more people love Big Thunder Mountain Railroad than Mine Train Through Natures Wonderland.

It's fine that you enjoy reminiscing, but the ramifications of removing a huge and popular attraction like Big Thunder Mountain and replacing it with the equivelent of an open air dark ride is more than I think your realising. You may enjoy it, but your average Disney guest is going to say "what is this crap, where's the rollercoaster?"

The Disney Parks were always meant to change, old attractions would be replaced with new ideas. Some of the classics have stood the test of time and are still around (and others are dying and need to be put out of their misery) but it's not uncommon to see that an attraction is closing to make way for something new.

The exceptions to this are, of course, Submarine Voyage, Sleeping Beauty's Castle Walkthrough, and The Peoplemover. The reason that these are different than your proposition to bring back Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland and Adventures Thru Inner Space is that there was nothing else there. Nothing had moved into replace those attractions, and it'd be much more difficult to replace them with something else than to bring back a bit of the past, but even then, they changed it and brought it up to modern standards.

If the Peoplemover comes back that's how it should be, I don't want to see them pull out the old blueprints and sound recordings from the archives, I want to see something that honors the original attraction, but at the same time does something new.

Matterhorn Yodeler
10-07-2009, 09:50 AM
The exceptions to this are, of course, Submarine Voyage, Sleeping Beauty's Castle Walkthrough, and The Peoplemover. Nothing had moved into replace those attractions, and it'd be much more difficult to replace them with something else than to bring back a bit of the past, but even then, they changed it and brought it up to modern standards.

If the Peoplemover comes back that's how it should be, I don't want to see them pull out the old blueprints and sound recordings from the archives, I want to see something that honors the original attraction, but at the same time does something new.

I always felt that the Peoplemover was the string that tied all of Tomorrowland together. It integrated a "tease" of all of the other attractions into one ride. Although the original ride may be nostalgic, the concept of a transportation system integrated into a community is still a "future" notion, so fits perfectly into a "Tomorrowland" theme.

Just as they used the "Finding Nemo" tie-in to revitalize the submarine voyage, the Peoplemover could be re-designed around "Wall-E", a movie destined to be a member of Disney's "classic" pantheon.

I know there is a huge amount of expansion going on at DLR over the next several years. But after the completion of Cars Land, I would think that Tomorrowland would be a strong candidate for an overhaul.

club33az
10-07-2009, 09:55 AM
I always felt that the Peoplemover was the string that tied all of Tomorrowland together. It integrated a "tease" of all of the other attractions into one ride. Although the original ride may be nostalgic, the concept of a transportation system integrated into a community is still a "future" notion, so fits perfectly into a "Tomorrowland" theme.Very well said. And in that vein, the PM 2.0 shouldn't be a nostalgic throwback to a bygone era. That's Main Streets' deal. Tomorrowland is about moving forward, not backward.

SNJ
10-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Very well said. And in that vein, the PM 2.0 shouldn't be a nostalgic throwback to a bygone era. That's Main Streets' deal. Tomorrowland is about moving forward, not backward.

Well, I wouldn't mind a tribute or something nostalgic on it. Also, I saw a strange box-esque thing on the track above Pizza Port. I don't have a picture of it, but does anyone have any insight on it?

club33az
10-07-2009, 11:19 AM
I'm more than positive that when PM 2.0 comes back there will definitely be some small part of it that they pay tribute to the prior version. Disneyland does that on just about all attractions that replace other attractions (Star Tours and Big Thunder leap to mind right now).

Teddi
10-07-2009, 11:24 AM
Then build a gigantor warehouse somewhere else to store stuff. Look on Google at satellite view... there is TONS of expanding space.

I disagree. The warehouse isn't just stuff that sits unusued. Maybe they could redesign it to compact it, but they have how many costumes? How many characters? How much space and stuff needed for the parades (daily). Their use of storage isn't like get a Rent-A-Space, you know?

SNJ
10-07-2009, 11:25 AM
What happened to the rumors of PM becoming Tron 2.0 ride? Anyone here heard about that?