PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it?

Maximus
01-24-2003, 08:10 AM
We are once again planning a trip to Disneyland. We are currently debating on two different times of going. We are thinking about going in early May or early June. We liked last year when we went in May the crowds were down from the brutal summer months but lacking all the shows and rides that are usually going on in the summer. We want to know if it is worth it to fight the crowds in June and take advantage of all the shows, parades and rides that go on in the summer time or just bag it and go in May when we have more space from the crowds? Opinions???

Ghoulish Delight
01-24-2003, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Maximus
We are once again planning a trip to Disneyland. We are currently debating on two different times of going. We are thinking about going in early May or early June. We liked last year when we went in May the crowds were down from the brutal summer months but lacking all the shows and rides that are usually going on in the summer. We want to know if it is worth it to fight the crowds in June and take advantage of all the shows, parades and rides that go on in the summer time or just bag it and go in May when we have more space from the crowds? Opinions??? Are you planning a multi-day trip? If so, I'd say it's worth it to wait until more stuff is running and deal with crowds. If you have 2 or 3 or more days, crowds become much more tollerable as you can relax and take your time, knowing that you can see what you missed the next day.

Dave Z
01-24-2003, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Maximus
early May or early June.

We went in the middle of June last year, right after our ten year old got out of school. The crowds were light, the weather great, extended operating hours thru the week and most things running.

I agree w/ GD, make it a multi-day trip and relax.

Have fun,

Maximus
01-24-2003, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
Are you planning a multi-day trip? If so, I'd say it's worth it to wait until more stuff is running and deal with crowds. If you have 2 or 3 or more days, crowds become much more tollerable as you can relax and take your time, knowing that you can see what you missed the next day.

Yes, it will be a multi-day trip. Possibly the week of June 8-12. We will also be staying on property as well. Are the kids out of school in Southern California by then?

YellowMan
01-24-2003, 11:40 AM
Depends on the age. Most high schoolers get out around the 13th, generally two-three weeks into June. Kids under that depends on what system their school is on. Year round students could be out then or they might be in school still. It's a little hard to tell right now.

tod
01-24-2003, 07:18 PM
If -- if -- the rehabs are finished by late spring, you would be better served by going to Disneyland then than waiting for the full-on Summertime, IMO.

I have found that as a rule you can see more and do more on a short-hour day in an uncrowded park than in a 14-hour day during the Summer crush.

If the short-hour Spring day has two or more E-tickets down, though, all bets are off. Go during the Summer.

Besides, you get fireworks during the Summer...

--T
Disneyland guest since 1955

MammaSilva
01-24-2003, 07:52 PM
With the invention of Fast Pass (love it or hate it .. it does change things) the only real difference crowds seem to make is meal times are a bit more of a wait especially if you try to eat at "normal" times 11:30-1:30 for lunch every place is packed... same for dinner between 5:30-7:30 but with a little strategic planning even those crowds can be minimalized....what can't be is the lack of attractions/fireworks.....if you only go to the parks once a year or every couple of years....accept the crowds to gain the goodies :)

tiggerandtink
01-24-2003, 10:33 PM
Twice when we were at DL on the 4th of July they announced that they had broken attendance records, and yet both times we rode every ride and saw every show that we wanted at least once, and still took in the fireworks (very moving on the 4th). However, both trips were when I, as well as my friends, were in our early 20's and had a bit more staying power. My point is that if you are able to stay more than a day then there is no reason to avoid the summer. Why take such a big trip and not get the whole enchilada?

Klutch
01-25-2003, 06:28 AM
I think it would greatly depend on your children, if you have any, and their ages.

With small children, I think going in May would be best. Get there at the rope drop, enjoy the lighter crowds, head back to the hotel for nap/lunch, then back to the park for a few hours until closing. The tykes will likely be pooped-out by then. Hit the sack early and be ready early the next day.

Without kids, or with pre-teens, you may want to wait until june and enjoy the shows and fireworks.