PDA

View Full Version : Would you have said something? [Poor Service]

Merih
10-05-2009, 10:35 AM
We went to DLR last weekend. We had really poor service from the bus service that we booked through Disney Travel Company. Then, despite three phone calls (one coming FROM Disney Dining) they messed up our Daughter's birthday cake. I had heard about the bad service from Disneyland Express-but risked it anyway. The cake was frustrating because they charged me extra
for Mickey figurine that wasn't on the cake (I did order it and they called to confirm). I've only ever written happy, thankful e-mails
about CMs, but I was really disappointed. What would you do?

adriennek
10-05-2009, 10:41 AM
Did you prepay for the cake when you ordered it?

I would first call Disney Dining and say you'd like a refund for the Mickey figurine you did not receive. If the first person you speak to says she can't help you, I'd politely ask to speak to a supervisor. If they do not fix the problem, I would file a charge back on my credit card saying that the item I paid for was not delivered as promised.

Adrienne

Merih
10-05-2009, 10:45 AM
They charged me $23.00+service charge+tax along with the vouchers we got for the character meal.

The cake was $18, the figurine was $5.

Never you mind this was the only thing they actually charged us tax ON The service charge-which surely can't be legal.

adriennek
10-05-2009, 10:51 AM
When I call, I would be polite and say "Before I call my credit card company and file a chargeback, I was hoping you could resolve the problem." I would only ask for the cost of the Mickey Figurine because the cake itself was obviously delivered.

Adrienne

Merih
10-05-2009, 10:57 AM
Yeah, i'm going to call. I feel like it's a little petty. But $5 is $5. I guess my disappointment doesn't matter. Since the cake was a surprise it was good enough for her--not knowing that it was supposed to have Mickey on it.

cyberRoo
10-05-2009, 11:31 AM
FYI, mandatory service charges are taxable in California. Optional gratuities are not. It's one of those quirks of California law.

Sorry about your disappointing experience.

Merih
10-05-2009, 11:50 AM
FYI, mandatory service charges are taxable in California. Optional gratuities are not. It's one of those quirks of California law.

Sorry about your disappointing experience.

Interesting! I live here--and the taxes never cease to amaze me. A couple week ago I noticed a $0.32 heating fee for my toasted Subway sub! It's $0.47 for a foot long. Apparently this is an energy tax. Strange.

Malcon10t
10-05-2009, 12:19 PM
Our family writes good and bad letters. I would write them and explain the issues. You will likely then get a phone call from Guest Communications who will follow up with this. My experiences have been very positive in these type of situations.

I have found the cake issues are a little "different...." I asked for chocolate ganache frosting, got whipped cream. I asked for blue colors on another, got yellow... But, it wasn't a big deal for me. I kinda chalk it up to I didn't really care.

candles71
10-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Interesting! I live here--and the taxes never cease to amaze me. A couple week ago I noticed a $0.32 heating fee for my toasted Subway sub! It's $0.47 for a foot long. Apparently this is an energy tax. Strange.

This makes it hot food and taxable. Cold subs count as grocery. (In fact it was a subway I noticed took food stamps at some point in time) We found this back when my MIL was on food stamps. Our local grocery store could make her a sub sandwich and it could be purchased with food stamps. But a burger or pizza or anything from the "hot case" didn't and couldn't be purchased with food stamps and was taxable.

adriennek
10-05-2009, 03:20 PM
This makes it hot food and taxable. Cold subs count as grocery. (In fact it was a subway I noticed took food stamps at some point in time) We found this back when my MIL was on food stamps. Our local grocery store could make her a sub sandwich and it could be purchased with food stamps. But a burger or pizza or anything from the "hot case" didn't and couldn't be purchased with food stamps and was taxable.

OOOOH! OK! That explains it!!!

The other day I was at the grocery store and the woman in front of me in line had an issue. She was purchasing a deli salad - crab or chicken or something - and the deli had used the code for "Hot Meatloaf" on the price tag. The computer wouldn't let the woman buy it and I heard the clerk make a comment about her not being allowed to buy meatloaf with something or another.

Now it all makes sense.

Adrienne

leota's necklace
10-05-2009, 09:44 PM
Yeah, i'm going to call. I feel like it's a little petty.

It's not petty at all. You requested something, paid for it, and you didn't receive it.

If all we wrote were shiny, happy letters, problems wouldn't get addressed, and vendors would assume we were okay with the new, lower level of customer service...and keep providing it.

Bob Weaver
10-06-2009, 07:26 AM
The best thing for a business is a happy customer. The worst thing for a business is an unhappy or disappointed customer. The fact that you are happy/unhappy should be far more important to them than the $5 is.

They should know about your situation and they should do what it takes to change you from unhappy to happy. That would be the right thing for them to do. You should let them know about it and I would put it in writing. I happen to think that written letters have more impact and significance to companies than phone calls or email messages have.

Disneyland Guest Relations
1313 Harbor Boulevard
Post Office Box 3232
Anaheim, CA 92803

bluuth
10-06-2009, 10:05 AM
I've spent almost 10 years in the service industry (restaurant) and have seen a multitude of issues. Whatever the service provided, the industry is the same - and the priority is to take care of the guests. Please do write/call and let someone know about your dissatisfaction. Regardless of what people may think, 99.9% it's an honest mistake, a miscommunication somewhere. Servers are not "out to get you"!

Also, I want to thank everyone who has ever written a happy letter/asked to speak to a manager about superb service. In most states (Cali being the exception) servers are paid $2.13-$2.63 an hour. We work our tails off and (most) of us try to give you great service. Letting management know you're happy does wonders for us - a better section, better shift, builds the manager's confidence in you.

codewoman
10-06-2009, 12:40 PM
Also, I want to thank everyone who has ever written a happy letter/asked to speak to a manager about superb service. In most states (Cali being the exception) servers are paid $2.13-$2.63 an hour. We work our tails off and (most) of us try to give you great service. Letting management know you're happy does wonders for us - a better section, better shift, builds the manager's confidence in you.

We were in an iHop in Boulder, CO last December and had this waiter who didn't write anything down. We were concerned because we all four had special orders that day. He did repeat our order back to us before leaving the table. Amazingly, he got everything perfect! He was a fabulous waiter. On the way out my husband mentioned his excellent service to the manager. It turns out our waiter could not read or write. And they hired him anyway. So, while we are not iHop fans in general, we will always stop at that one on the way through Boulder. It's like a magic trick, the way that waiter remembers everything. They've got our service for giving that guy a chance to be so successful.

TowerofTerror
10-06-2009, 01:08 PM
I have complaint on poor services before I don't remember where I was at. I know the manager came out and spoke to us and apologized. I believed we ended up getting 20 percent off are bill for the poor services.

HobbitFeet
10-06-2009, 05:46 PM
So what happened with Grayline?

lauramaynot
10-06-2009, 06:47 PM
If it was an extra that I paid for I would be calling as well. Those small things can add up and if it leaves you with a bad opinion (and unlikely to order a cake again) I think you need to let them know...

Merih
10-06-2009, 07:04 PM
So what happened with Grayline?

They changed the schedule of buses every 30 minutes in the week between sending us a schedule with our Disney Vacation Package and when we arrived. We took our daughter out of school early to land during the time that it wasn't every 60 minutes. The five PM bus blew past us--then we found that they had changed the schedule so the buses only came every 30 mins between 11 am and 3 pm. So we waited--then the driver went to all the good neighbor hotels first before taking us to PPH. He said we were doing him a favor by lettin him do it that way. On the way back he gave us the same line about "doing a favor". It's a racket!

club33az
10-07-2009, 01:43 PM
That seems to always happen with me, too, when I take the Super Shuttle from the Orange County airport. My hotel is always the last stop. I don't get it.