PDA

View Full Version : Fantasmic

Pirate Girl
01-23-2003, 08:32 PM
Does anyone know when Fantasmic is starting up again? I have heard June 6th? Anyone know?

Darkbeer
01-23-2003, 11:13 PM
I have heard both June 6th and June 13th, as for when for SURE, I think we need to have the RoA rehab finished before anyone can say with accuracy when Fantasmic! will return.

iAmJacksDLand
01-25-2003, 08:19 PM
So wait, does this mean Fantasmic will be different or the same? Will the island be back open with rehab as well? And while on the topic of the RoA rehab, what about others like Indiana Jones? What is going on? WHY SO MANY REHABS? aHHhhhhh

Pirate Girl
01-25-2003, 08:47 PM
DL fiftyith anniversary is in less than 3 years. They're spiffing everything up. That's why all the rehabs. Fantasmic shouldn't change much if any.

Darkbeer
01-25-2003, 09:04 PM
iAmJacksDLand, what I am going to post is based on what I have read, so it might contain "rumors" and non-official information, but let me try to explain the best I can...

The last time the Rivers of America were drained was 1993, and the RoA rehab had been scheduled in the past, but later postponed, presumably due to the fact that Disney didn't want to spend the money at the time.

What changes are being made to Fantasmic!, well, they are mainly just repairing/replacing the underwater effect mechanisms. Being under water for almost 10 years will damage equipment. I heard that they are upgrading the water screen effect with newer technology, but that is the biggest change that I have seen about Fantasmic!, it is supposely going to return as the same show, with no new scenes.

As for Tom Sawyer's Island, we know that they are removing major parts of the rock work, since we have seen the construction comments placed the last few months. Supposely the Fort has a major termite/wood rot problem, and is going to have to be removed. They are currently working on the tree house near the front (being the Fantasmic! stage) of the island. What I think will happen, is that the front half (about the same amount as was open this last fall) will open shortly after the Rivers reopen. There will be safety changes, plus more of the pathways will be easier for wheelchairs and other folks needing a smoother surface. Supposely the budget is not allowing for the rebuilding of the fort this year, but is scheduled for next winter.

Why so many rehabs, personally I think they cut back too much on the maintenance budget the last few years, and now are paying the price in having to do longer, more intensive rehabs. Another issue is the new California safety requirements. A major part of the current Matterhorn rehab was to enlarge the tunnels, to make sure that no rider could raise their hands and hit the structure.

Age is another factor, the Space Mountain rehab will involve replacing the entire track. The ride is 25 years old, and all the use (and resulting vibrations) have placed a lot of stress on the structure. Many roller-coasters get new track segments during their rehabs. With Space Mountain, it is a lot harder to do it, since it is enclosed in a building, and that the track is more compact than many other roller coasters.

Indy is rumored to have a major rehab in the fall, it has not received a major rehab in the approximate 10 years it has been running. Once again, most rides are large mechanical devices that need repair and replacement. How many years does an average car last? How many miles do you think each Indy Jeep has driven?

Hope this answered your questions....

tabacco
01-25-2003, 09:20 PM
I'm pretty sure Indy as designed so that individual jeeps could be pulled and rehabbed as opposed to taking the entire attraction down. All that's left to work on, if that's true, are show effects.

Darkbeer
01-25-2003, 09:27 PM
Well, tabacco, besides the show effects, there is the track itself, and while the individual cars can be worked on in a maintenance bay, the track itself can't be.

Also, they should be placing the safety gates in the loading area, plus hopefully do some redesign of the queues to make FastPass work smoother, plus easier access for SAP, wheelchairs and single riders to enter the attraction.

DisneyGuy03
01-25-2003, 11:21 PM
plus easier access for SAP, wheelchairs and single riders to enter the attraction.
Actually, the access isn't too bad as a general rule, there are days that it is, but not many.

IndyBones
01-26-2003, 07:59 AM
Also, they should be placing the safety gates in the loading area, plus hopefully do some redesign of the queues to make FastPass work smoother, plus easier access for SAP, wheelchairs and single riders to enter the attraction.

Yup, air gates, some minor operational ride system modifications(all for safety), and a significant, well thought-out, positive change to the queue.

Pirate Girl
01-26-2003, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by IndyBones
Yup, air gates, some minor operational ride system modifications(all for safety), and a significant, well thought-out, positive change to the queue.

The Indy queue is one of the best ones at DL, decorativly speaking. It's made to keep peoples attention with all the stuff on the walls. Plus, bonus, its air conditioned. It's really to bad that the whole line is outside the building because of FP. They should run FP through the exit and let the standby folks be comfy.

DisneyGuy03
01-26-2003, 09:43 AM
Actually, this wouldn't work, due to the way the attraction operates and it would make the ride no longer wheel chair accessible. I believe what should be done, is leave the line divided in two all the way up to Indy's Office and place a CM there to check Fastpasses (one at the begining checking times of course and one in the end collecting them). This would keep both lines in the que, or if you can't divide the bat area, leave them divided up to that point, meger them together and split them back apart when needed.

Pirate Girl
01-26-2003, 09:55 AM
Yeah, that would work. They should do something with it. Hey, who thinks that The Matterhorn Bobsleds should have fastpass?