PDA

View Full Version : Major change to Disneyland's Print on Demand program

AVP
10-01-2009, 09:39 AM
The last location of Disneyland's Print on Demand program that actually let you carry your product home the same day closed yesterday in preparation for the opening of the new Disney Gallery. When Disneyland first launched the Print on Demand system, customers could order their posters at one of several locations, and return later the same day to pick up the completed artwork. The offering was removed from Tomorrowland to make room for an expanded pin trading store at the exit of the then-new Buzz Lightyear ride, and relocated to the World of Disney. Once the Disney Gallery closed in 2004, the World of Disney location was the only store left with the printers needed to produce posters on demand.

Disneyland's Disneyana shop and Off the Page in Disney's California Adventure later received a new version of Print on Demand, where customers could order art (though both the selection of images and the paper format varied from the original program), but could not take the images home the same day. Instead, orders placed through this new system were printed in a centralized backstage location, and had to be shipped to the customer at an additional charge.

The World of Disney system will now be replaced with the "Print and Ship" system, and the same system will be available at the Disney Gallery when it opens tomorrow.

AVP

olegc
10-01-2009, 09:45 AM
wow - less cost for them since no storage space needed - and more cost to us to ship the stuff. WOW - such a deal!! :|

all sarcasm aside, i realize it's more convenient for those folks visiting the park for a long day not to have to carry things around - but for those collectors who visit briefly and know what they want it's a little like raising the price with a wink and a smile..

AVP
10-01-2009, 10:11 AM
I'm not at all happy with this change, but I see why it's attractive to Disney from an operational perspective. This lets them have one centralized printing facility (which doesn't even have to be on property, or even in state) instead of maintaining printers at each of the locations. Less space required at each location, no need to dispatch repair people to multiple locations, centralized ordering and storage of paper and ink. (Let's not forget, WoD's sytem was effectively offline for almost two months last year because someone kept ordering the wrong paper stock). No need to train CMs at each location to deal with the tricky and temperamental printers, no need to make sure you have a POD-trained CM working at all times.

Of course all of these operational efficiencies, while great for Disney, mean less convenience and more expense for the guest. Shipping is no longer optional, and it's not inexpensive. This also removes the choice of having canvas prints delivered to you rolled or stretched and framed. This was an option when you picked up your own posted, but canvas posters ordered through "Print and Ship" now automatically come on frames, which also increases the shipping fee.

I'm also waiting to see how they deal with the discrepancy in image selection. Print on Demand had one selection of images and paper sizes; Print and Ship has a different collection of images (which did not include attraction posters) and different paper sizes. I guess we'll know tomorrow if they added the attraction posters and/or the 36" dimension images to Print and Ship.

AVP

olegc
10-01-2009, 10:17 AM
This also removes the choice of having canvas prints delivered to you rolled or stretched and framed. This was an option when you picked up your own posted, but canvas posters ordered through "Print and Ship" now automatically come on frames, which also increases the shipping fee.
AVP

really? wow - that really stinks. While i have not bought any of these I have been involved with display of fine and folk art since i was a kid (my mom's place) and I know many times folks have specific looks they want in a frame. Now, being forced to take what they offer means you either degrade your selection and choose a print on paper or go with what they offer and settle. Not good at those prices.

I guess this falls under "hey it's disney - be quiet and hand over your wallet"

cstephens
10-01-2009, 10:24 AM
I guess this falls under "hey it's disney - be quiet and hand over your wallet"

Or, people have the option to show their displeasure by just not purchasing the products.

olegc
10-01-2009, 10:36 AM
Or, people have the option to show their displeasure by just not purchasing the products.

you're right - and that's always been your position... but something about obvious tactics and not customer choice rubs me the wrong way. Why not give the customer a choice? not buying is an option - but does it ever really create change in the DIsney theme park world (not counting DCA of course).

cstephens
10-01-2009, 10:57 AM
you're right - and that's always been your position... but something about obvious tactics and not customer choice rubs me the wrong way.

My point was just that people can make their displeasure known in a number of ways, including vocalizing the displeasure and even sending letters into Disney to let them know as well as not buying the product. I just objected to your remark that because it's Disney, somehow, people should just be expected to shut up and keep handing money over.

Cnjp
10-01-2009, 10:57 AM
I'm also waiting to see how they deal with the discrepancy in image selection. Print on Demand had one selection of images and paper sizes; Print and Ship has a different collection of images (which did not include attraction posters) and different paper sizes. I guess we'll know tomorrow if they added the attraction posters and/or the 36" dimension images to Print and Ship.

AVP

As someone who made a purchase from the Print and Ship kiosk in Disneyana not long after it opened, as well as, regularly browses the selection, I can tell you that they have always offered attraction posters. There are several pages worth, with three posters appearing on each page. :)

AVP
10-01-2009, 11:01 AM
As someone who made a purchase from the Print and Ship kiosk in Disneyana not long after it opened, as well as, regularly browses the selection, I can tell you that they have always offered attraction posters. There are several pages worth, with three posters appearing on each page. :)They do not have the full 56-poster selection that WoD has had, nor do they offer them in the same sizes. Or at least they didn't when they installed the system. I'll be quite happy if they've added the rest of the posters, but it will be a moot point for some collectors if they did not also add the 36" dimension, because they'll have to accept having posters in different sizes.

AVP

olegc
10-01-2009, 11:53 AM
I just objected to your remark that because it's Disney, somehow, people should just be expected to shut up and keep handing money over.

and I have made that point in the past as well - and it has at times been a theme, if not an actual statement. Who remembers "if it's good enough for Six Flags - people will pay for the Disney name on it" (paraphrase but on a powerpoint for DCA).

Maus
10-03-2009, 04:24 PM
I had an interesting experience at WoD trying to make a purchase.

Me: "Are these the only mini-attraction posters that you have?"
CM: "The what? Oh, no you can order those from Print on Demand, too."
Me: (surprised) "Oh, the mini size too?"
CM: "No, only the large poster size."
Me: "Are you sure there aren't anymore in the back?" (in my experience there usually are--they only had a handful on display)
CM asked a lead who also said, "The what? Oh, the petite posters." (and rudely too) "No."
Me: "Sorry, I didn't know the right name for them. Where else do they have these?"
CM: "Disneyana and Off the Page."
Me: "Guess I'll go to Disneyana then."
CM turns and walks away. I was going to ask her to call because I was looking for something specifc but I didn't bother. I was able to find it at Disneyana but they didn't have very many either. I wonder if the Gallery (and other locations) will add them to Print on Demand.