PDA

View Full Version : Park was so busy yesterday [Sept. 28, 2009]

MKY4ME
09-29-2009, 12:14 PM
they extended closing hours to 9pm and all closing cast members were also extended......

dps225
09-29-2009, 12:33 PM
My wife (high school teacher) had the day off for Yom Kippur, and it appears we were not the only ones with the idea of using the day off for Disneyland (not a blackout date for our, or any, AP).

I'd say it was mostly OK. HMH and Space Mtn were exceedingly busy, but I would have guessed that anyway. Might have taken the load off some others - Indy was about 35-40 minute wait around 2pm, which seemed low to me.

The biggest problem was all the blocked paths around the Tomorrowland entrance. During the parade, there was absolutely no path around the east/parade side of the hub, though I'm sure there was supposed to be. We were stuck there until the parade moved on, probably 10 minutes. It's a good thing everyone was calm or there could have been a seriously dangerous problem.

TowerofTerror
09-29-2009, 12:34 PM
cool deal that the park was busy and they extend the park to close at 9pm instead of 8pm

DizneyMommy
09-29-2009, 02:02 PM
The biggest problem was all the blocked paths around the Tomorrowland entrance. During the parade, there was absolutely no path around the east/parade side of the hub, though I'm sure there was supposed to be. We were stuck there until the parade moved on, probably 10 minutes. It's a good thing everyone was calm or there could have been a seriously dangerous problem.

I would so agree, this was a nightmare. Who on earth thought that the week they open a Halloween Space and have new Halloween fireworks would be a good time to black the entire pathway to Tomorrow land like that? Really dumb idea, poor planning.

It felt crowded yesterday, I was pretty surprised when I got there at 2 and was parked on the roof. The crowds inside seemed pretty big, but then things like not having enough line areas open for rides made it seem worse because people were lined up all over walkways. Plus Pirates was closed and that holds a lot of people. We were able to get a FP for HM at 6pm which was for 7pm, so that was great, and the line for Indy was down to 20 minutes at one point. We also plopped down 10 minutes before Pixar PP and got an awesome (and very wet) seat in the shade. When we left after the fireworks, I was surprised at how easily and quickly we got down Main St, not nearly as bad as a summer night. It was a weird crowd, clusters of people in unusual areas that made it feel worse than it really was I think.

Rkkm
09-29-2009, 04:55 PM
All of the Los Angeles Unified School District (approximately 750,000 students, as well as their thousands of teachers, other staff and adminstrators) had the day off yesterday, 9/28. This is an annual thing, related to the Jewish holidays - even though the District does not aknowledge it in that manner. Whether there is a direct correlation to Park attendance, I cannot say with certainty. However, the fall Jewish holidays that occur on weekdays always seem to result in larger than usual crowds.

I went today, and it was busy. Lots of families. Is this the Utah vacation week? (I know I could look it up on the DL Weekly Update - but I am feeling lazy after a day at Disneyland!)

club33az
09-29-2009, 04:58 PM
And you know, it's not going to get less busy either. This weekend is Gay Days. Then the weekend after that is Columbus Day weekend.

Which is why I'm going to DL the following weekend! :D

mkraemer
09-29-2009, 06:02 PM
All of the Los Angeles Unified School District (approximately 750,000 students, as well as their thousands of teachers, other staff and adminstrators) had the day off yesterday, 9/28. This is an annual thing, related to the Jewish holidays - even though the District does not aknowledge it in that manner. Whether there is a direct correlation to Park attendance, I cannot say with certainty. However, the fall Jewish holidays that occur on weekdays always seem to result in larger than usual crowds.

I went today, and it was busy. Lots of families. Is this the Utah vacation week? (I know I could look it up on the DL Weekly Update - but I am feeling lazy after a day at Disneyland!)

Several years ago, our school district also had a 'local holiday' for Yom Kippur and we thought it would be a splendid idea to go to Disneyland for an uncrowded three-day weekend. HA! I learned my lesson and now I *always* consult the LAUSD schedule when I'm considering a trip to Disneyland.

Nelly
09-29-2009, 06:24 PM

Nope. UEA is on the 7th of October I believe.:)

wendyxo
09-29-2009, 06:29 PM
UEA is this Thursday and Friday, with a half day tomorrow. I wonder if people are taking the whole week?

dps225
09-30-2009, 06:40 AM
There was a lot of Utah-related apparel yesterday. Perhaps I was just noticing it because I knew it was coming up, but I noticed it nonetheless.

Nelly
09-30-2009, 02:31 PM
hm...I dunno what my brother's school is doing then. Their break is next week. Oh well.

madmaxx
09-30-2009, 03:42 PM
One cast member told me that the park was already past 40k before noon on Monday (we just got back last night). It was busy, but fastpass-ing around the park did well enough for us for everything but Space Mountain.

club33az
09-30-2009, 03:51 PM
You know, the lines don't seem all that long, except for Space. Am I reading that right?

Bobbie
09-30-2009, 05:54 PM
I thought the crowds rivaled any of the busiest days in August this year. It was ridiculous. I kept saying "Is this really Monday???"

The Fireworks show was packed, I have never seen so many people. It was completely unbelievable for a non-holiday Monday.

shna
09-30-2009, 05:58 PM
I really hope next Monday is better! I know my daughter's school (public school in Northern L.A. County) is on Fall Break this week, but will be back in school next week. I think a lot of non-LAUSD schools around here also had 9/28 off.

currence
09-30-2009, 08:08 PM
I only remembered it was a Jewish holiday as I pondered why traffic was so light. Then I knew we were in trouble when we arrived the same time or slightly earlier than we had the previous Saturday, and parked significantly further away!

The crowds were manageable, but it felt much more like a weekend than the light weekday crowd I was hoping for. It also didn't help that Space Mountain was down when we arrived which threw off my plans to go on that "before the park got crowded."