PDA

View Full Version : kids pin trading

mrs. dr jones
01-22-2003, 12:31 PM
has anyone had trouble losing the pins off their lanyards. my son just lost one of his prized pins he got from a cm. it was a buzz lightyear. both of my kids have their pins fall off all the time.

MammaSilva
01-22-2003, 01:38 PM
invest in those 'locking backs' they have for the pins, especially for ones that you know the kids aren't going to want to trade....another little trick, take some elmers glue and dip the nail of the in before putting the rubber back on, you can still twist the back off to trade but they dont' tend to slide off as easily, you can use superglue but then they aren't coming off no matter what..

AlanaP
01-22-2003, 01:40 PM
I dont collect Disney pins..but I volunteered at the Olympics last year, and pin traded there. If you put a drop of hot glue on the tip of each pin, and then put the back on before it dries..they wont fall off, but you can remove the backs easily if you need to.
Hope that helps!!

Alana

DisneyFan25863
01-22-2003, 01:52 PM
After loseing one of my pins to a Disneyland Restroom (don't ask) I invested in one of those nifty little suitcase things. It works really well, and It comes with a free pin!

mrs. dr jones
01-22-2003, 05:44 PM
thank you all for your help i will try them. what is a suitcase and can i get one at the premier shop in tl?

DisneyGuy03
01-22-2003, 07:46 PM
You see, to me this is Disney marketing at it's worst, it's one thing for the adults to do the pin trading, but a whole other for them to be marketing the pin trading to kids....sorry, but I think this is wrong, anyway, to prevent the pins from falling off, I would agree with the hot glue gun, it should work like a charm and the glue can easily be removed from the back of the pin without damaging it.

MammaSilva
01-22-2003, 08:00 PM
well as to the kids pin trading.... I love watching the little ones trading with CM's it is adorable.. and way way back before pins became items to be ruthless over it was a fun way to meet new people, now I collect, rarely trade ....more likely to gift a friend with a pin than actually venture into the pits with the sharks.....those 4 suitcase carrying wheelie backpack folk that are giving the hobby a bad name........I was blessed to watch a little one and a CM discussing a pin trade.. her mom had wisely put her 'non traders' on a cute little hat and her 'traders' on her lanyard... none of the LE .. stand in line for hours pins just fun rack choices... but the CM trading with her made it seem as if she had the BEST pins that were to be found.....it reminded me what the pin hobby is supposed to be about...

mad4mky
01-23-2003, 08:05 AM
I loved it when my girls started pin trading. It was at WDW in 2000. They got so excited about it. The CM's were so fun with them, and we enjoyed as a family picking out the ones we really "liked" (not thought would bring the most money??? Crazy us).

Our next trip to DLR, they brought their lanyards...and traded only a few times. Seeing the commotion surrounding the DLR pin trading, and the pin traders there...neither of my girls want to participate anymore. On the most recent trips, I start to grab the lanyards...and they both say no.:(

It was ruined for my kids at DLR...
I hope your kids have more fun with it there. I loved mammasilva's story...because that's how my girls were treated at WDW.

mrs. dr jones
01-23-2003, 08:32 AM
disneyguy03 its the adults that give pin trading a bad name, ask any cm. i go to a collectors store in city of industry called frank and sons they have all the disney pins there. the ones you buy for 6.50 at disney sell there for 45 to 65 dollars. i personlly think that pin trading is cute for kids and it should only be for kids. my kids done the whole card thing with pokemon and yugi oh i had to watch over to make sure they didnt get cheated by the adults, my kids are just sick of prices and value they are doing this just for fun and only for fun. that is a really cute story mammasilva. it started about a month ago when my son bought a pin, he seen a cm wearing a lanyard and asked if he could trade (we didnt get out of main street til almost midnight because of it) that sweet cm told my son all the tricks of the trade that night. the kids hate the crowds and only look for turquoise lanyard. i think for them they get a rush over the trade itself not because they found a pin they want.

Kimi_Coconuts
01-23-2003, 04:39 PM
My entire family pin trades (for fun, not for money). My 4 year old has just gotten the hang of it and understands to trade for what you really want and if you have two of anything then to trade one of them. My 10 year old especially loves it and you can't keep up with him on the number of trades per day. My husband and I enjoy trading for whatever is our fancy at the time. We have WAY too many pins but we find it enjoyable to chat with the CM's and to seek them out.

With the exception of a master trader who once totally ticked me off they have been nothing but nice to all of us but especially to the kids and I like that.

The master trader once tried to tell my 10 year old that he couldn't trade his pin because the back wasn't straight and my son was super polite and said, but I just got the pin from another CM, why can't I trade it. He begrudginly agreed to do it but was nasty to him and my son stood there and APOLOGIZED to him for having the pin and I thought that was excellent manners but lousy behavior on his part. I never had to talk with him but I gave him the benefit of the doubt of having a bad day. I think they really need to be nice with children because it is the future for them ;) .

As for the backs, we've only lost one pin, we've learned to use the disney mouse head backs they are very secure and we have taught the kids to check the backs every once in awhile and we do so also.

Matterhorn Fan
01-23-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by mad4mky
Our next trip to DLR, they brought their lanyards...and traded only a few times. Seeing the commotion surrounding the DLR pin trading, and the pin traders there...neither of my girls want to participate anymore. On the most recent trips, I start to grab the lanyards...and they both say no.:(

It was ruined for my kids at DLR... There are now certain CMs trading only with kids--no sharks (or nice adults, for that matter) allowed. They're wearing colored lanyards instead of the black ones.

They're trying to un-ruin it for the kids. Maybe your kids can be convinced to try it again on your next trip. (Just steer clear of the people hanging around at those tables outside the Premiere Shop.)

Kimi_Coconuts
01-24-2003, 08:25 AM
Now I'm just remembering this crazy woman who was pin trading once in the Disney store, she saw a pin on a CM she wanted and said "I'll be right back" to him, then I walked up and asked to trade for the same pin (I didn't know she wanted it) and he gave it to me. While making the exchange she came up and started yelling at him and he hesitated, and I said "Is it all right?" he said yes, it's first come first served. I took the pin and got out of there because the lady scared me honestly. A few minutes later on the way out we saw the lady ranting and gesturing to a manager. UGH! I hate that kind of stuff!

I saw the lady the next day at DCA and I swear I went out of my way to avoid her because I thought she'd see my pin and remember me and want to attack me. THAT is stuff I can do without!

mad4mky
01-24-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Matterhorn Fan
There are now certain CMs trading only with kids--no sharks (or nice adults, for that matter) allowed. They're wearing colored lanyards instead of the black ones.

They're trying to un-ruin it for the kids. Maybe your kids can be convinced to try it again on your next trip. (Just steer clear of the people hanging around at those tables outside the Premiere Shop.)

Thanks for letting me know this. My middle daughter has Down Syndrome...and her speech is very difficult to understand. It was frustrating to her to trade with others...(as well as their behavior).
I'll tell my girls about the CM's with the colored lanyards...and hopefully they will join in again.:)

mrs. dr jones
01-24-2003, 08:50 AM
those are the people who give pin trading a bad name. that pin was probably worth a lot of money.

MammaSilva
01-24-2003, 09:02 AM
I don't understand why people feel the need to be so agressive.. but it's a fact...I got hooked on collecting pins when we were at the park for Walts 100th, we got there early because we knew they were releasing special Passholder only pins and some other LE pins to celebrate Walts birthday, we waiting in line for over an hour before rope drop then another hour or so til we got to our turn to buy our pins....I had a total of 5 passholders in our group and I went in with a list from friends who wanted those special pins as well... we got our pins, left... the kids were excited to be a part of history (and because they had been a part of the process...wait in a line that doesn't end up on a ride, Are you NUTS auntie LOL) I let the kids wear their pins .....we had several people come up and INSIST we trade with them, Hello, the kids aren't wearing lanyards the pins were on their shirts...no thanks we aren't into trading thankyouverymuch!

As for value.....watching ebay will show you how much some pins will go for.....it's unreal!