PDA

View Full Version : Raft to Tom Sawyer Island/Pirate's Lair

Pages : [1] 2

Jeffreaky
09-27-2009, 08:58 PM
My Dad seems to be very sure that the raft to and from Tom Sawyer Island/Pirate's Lair is on a track. I seem to think it's not. It sure doesn't feel like it's on a track and it has always to me looked like they were not on a track when the CM's are operating the rafts.

Anyone know?

TowerofTerror
09-27-2009, 09:00 PM
Its not on a track. The Mark Tawain is on a track

mechurchlady
09-27-2009, 09:44 PM
The Mark Twain floats but uses a track to guide it and is the same track used by the Columbia. All other watercraft are not on tracks. The CM must have been doing a great job of navigating to make the raft seem like it is on a track. ;)

Jeffreaky
09-27-2009, 10:02 PM
The Mark Twain floats but uses a track to guide it and is the same track used by the Columbia. All other watercraft are not on tracks. The CM must have been doing a great job of navigating to make the raft seem like it is on a track. ;)

That's what I'm thinkin' Lincoln! Those rafts seem to go all over the place when I watch them.:eek:

mechurchlady
09-27-2009, 10:13 PM
That's what I'm thinkin' Lincoln! Those rafts seem to go all over the place when I watch them.:eek:
Actually the rafts are on a special track designed by Walt Disney. The rafts follow a serpentine track that makes it look like they are free floating but it is the top secret tracks.

Disclaimer: The above is a blatant lie and please do not post it as the truth as I am only joking.

You might not want to tell him that story, lol, but I have heard someone ask if the campfire was real.

smd4
09-28-2009, 05:44 AM
Ask your dad how he thinks it's possible for the rafts to cross the Mark Twain/Columbia track, if the rafts are also on a track.

Jeffreaky
09-28-2009, 07:19 AM
Ask your dad how he thinks it's possible for the rafts to cross the Mark Twain/Columbia track, if the rafts are also on a track.

HA!, I'm not gonna go there, I'm just going to let him know there's no track:p

disney42dude
09-28-2009, 10:19 AM
For some reason, I think they are on a track too. But I can't remember where I saw or read it.

Bytebear
09-28-2009, 11:25 AM
Actually the rafts are on a special track designed by Walt Disney. The rafts follow a serpentine track that makes it look like they are free floating but it is the top secret tracks.

Disclaimer: The above is a blatant lie and please do not post it as the truth as I am only joking.

You might not want to tell him that story, lol, but I have heard someone ask if the campfire was real.

I think you need to submit this tidbit to the following website:

http://www.disneylies.com/

biolabetty
09-28-2009, 11:42 AM
My friend is an imagineer and I asked him this question a few years ago when another friend doubted they were free floating. He assured me they were not on a track, and I even got to see the diagrams of the rafts, plus he gave me a signed statement that they were indeed free floating. So, yes, they are not on a track. But this also comes from the same guy who tried to convince park customers that he was remote controlling the ducks on the river.;)

jazzysmom
09-28-2009, 12:41 PM
Great thread. My hubby & I have had this coversation many times when we are eating our pancakes & looking at the water/canoes etc. :D

disney42dude
09-28-2009, 01:01 PM
I thought the canoes were the only trackless "ride".

zombie pirate
09-29-2009, 12:01 AM
Here is a pic that might help, I dont know what those bldgs are.

http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss250/LONERANGERZOMBIE/42.jpg

MadasaHatter
09-29-2009, 12:27 AM
Whether it's on a track or not I will be in Disneyland on Wednesday......Of course I am mad!!!

smd4
09-29-2009, 05:30 AM
For some reason, I think they are on a track too. But I can't remember where I saw or read it.I assure you, you are mistaken.

BTW...ALL the boats are "free-floating" in that the rail for the Twain/Columbia does not support them. The are bouyant, and actually are floating in the ROA. The rail mearly guides them along their path.

Rafts, canoes, ducks--None of the other items floating in the ROA are on tracks or rails of any kind.

Andrew
09-29-2009, 08:49 AM
Here is a pic that might help, I dont know what those bldgs are.

http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss250/LONERANGERZOMBIE/42.jpg
That picture is from Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom, and the buildings are Aunt Polly's Dockside Inn. Though I'm not sure if that is actually still a restaurant.

Tan Da Man
09-29-2009, 11:41 AM
are you all sure? I swear those things are on a track..I get the same exact movements every time I get on one.

Tan Da Man
09-29-2009, 11:42 AM
and what about the Jungle Cruise? I got into a big argument with my friends last time I was there over this..

smd4
09-29-2009, 11:48 AM
are you all sure? I swear those things are on a track..I get the same exact movements every time I get on one.We're sure.

If you think they're on a track, why don't you take a stab at guessing how the raft "tracks" and the rail from the Twain/Columbia can cross each other?

smd4
09-29-2009, 11:48 AM
and what about the Jungle Cruise? I got into a big argument with my friends last time I was there over this..
Yes, JC boats use a guide rail.

club33az
09-29-2009, 11:58 AM
This thread is so funny! My mom always gets my goat by saying the canoes are on a track, even though she knows they aren't. :D

cstephens
09-29-2009, 12:11 PM
are you all sure? I swear those things are on a track..I get the same exact movements every time I get on one.

So you've never been on a raft where the CM wasn't driving very well and the raft slams into the dock rather than gliding in? Yep, I've been.

Ohana
09-29-2009, 01:01 PM
My Dad seems to be very sure that the raft to and from Tom Sawyer Island/Pirate's Lair is on a track. I seem to think it's not. It sure doesn't feel like it's on a track and it has always to me looked like they were not on a track when the CM's are operating the rafts.

Anyone know?

Well, another way to be certain is to look at the pictures people will snap when they drain the river this winter. That should be eye opening. :)

mechurchlady
09-29-2009, 02:41 PM
Actually there are several ways they could do it. They could have one track rise into place for the rafts then lower so the big ships can pass. They could put the track on a pivot and rotate it when the big ships are coming by.

I think you need to submit this tidbit to the following website:

http://www.disneylies.com/
Don't tempt me, lol.

Most of the current boats except the logs float. Usually in a flume like Small World, free floating like rafts and canoes, or over a guide rail that does not hold the ship's weight but keeps the ship on track.

darph nader
09-29-2009, 02:50 PM
I assure you, you are mistaken.

BTW...ALL the boats are "free-floating" in that the rail for the Twain/Columbia does not support them. The are bouyant, and actually are floating in the ROA. The rail mearly guides them along their path.

Rafts, canoes, ducks--None of the other items floating in the ROA are on tracks or rails of any kind.

WHAT? The ducks 'aren't' on a track? That just ruined my whole perception of RoA. :mad: