PDA

View Full Version : Disney's Rivers of America all dried up - OC Register, 1/22/03

Darkbeer
01-22-2003, 07:42 AM
Disney's Rivers of America all dried up (http://www2.ocregister.com/ocrweb/ocr/article.do?id=21684&section=NEWS&year=2003&month=1&day=22) - OC Register, 1/22/03

QuikQuote: Hard to say what the toaster was doing at the bottom of Disneyland's Rivers of America.
Sure, the cameras, beepers and video recorders make sense. But not the toaster. Or the full bottle of rum. The Rivers of America, which wrap around Tom Sawyer Island and hide underwater tracks for the Sailing Ship Columbia and Mark Twain Riverboat, is currently nothing more than a muddy, pipe-littered trough that won't be a river again until it is refilled in March.

watkinz
01-22-2003, 07:50 AM
I was reading the article in the paper this morning when I noticed "Videopolis" on the diagram. Does it still exist, or was it an error?:confused:

Ghoulish Delight
01-22-2003, 07:54 AM
"Or the full bottle of rum."

Darn Pirates. Can't they use a trashcan :D

This article answered everyone's burning question...how do they drain 6 million gallons of water without backing up Anaheims sewer system? Easy, it doesn't drain to the sewers. It goes through the storm drain system. Since that dumps straight to the ocean, it would presumeably have a much higher capacity than the sewer system.

Ha! I didn't pay attention to the map this morning. No, Videopolis most definitely does not exist anymore. They need to update their "file footage" of Disneyland over at the Register.

Sailor Butterfly
01-22-2003, 09:14 AM
The rivers were last drained in 1993? Haven't they been drained since then? And is anyone else dying to know how the heck a toaster got into the river? :confused:

Ghoulish Delight
01-22-2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Sailor Butterfly
The rivers were last drained in 1993? Haven't they been drained since then? No, that's correct. 1993 was the last time. The did occasionally drain just the small areas that had the Fantasmic workings by putting up walls around them for maintanance, but not the entire river.

And is anyone else dying to know how the heck a toaster got into the river? :confused: Well, the stupid thing kept burning my toast! It made me so angry...... :mad: ;)

sydney
01-22-2003, 09:29 AM
Here's the part that I found most entertaining in the article:

"The caves are closed!" 10-year-old Justin Sawhill said, crossing his arms and pouting. "That's the best part!"

Little did 10-year-old Justin know, even if he had come before the river had been drained, there would be no "cave explorin' " for him anyway... and no rock climbin' either... ;)

Here's hoping they actually do invest some time (and that "money" thing might help too) in the island while they work on the river.

HBTiggerFan
01-22-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
Well, the stupid thing kept burning my toast! It made me so angry...... :mad: ;)

remind me to stay on your good side! ;)

RStar
01-22-2003, 11:46 AM
My Bro-in-law was on the crew cleaning the river bottom in '83. He told me tails of things they found!

Lots of watches, wallets, forign coins, and souvineirs. So what's up with the toaster? They sell them at the park! I wonder if it was a Mickey toaster?

blusilva
01-22-2003, 03:55 PM
Don't they do private parties sometimes after the Park closes? Like for Elizabeth Taylor and such? I'll bet the full bottle of rum and the toaster got tossed into the Rivers during one (or two) such parties.

MammaSilva
01-22-2003, 04:09 PM
my first reaction was "a toaster"??????? But then I remembered that once upon a time there was quite a nice selection of kitchen items available INside the park ....thinking someone lost a bag over the side....??? They didn't mention if the toaster was in a box or if the box had disintergrated ......the bottle of rum... someone had second thoughts or intervined?

Techie7
01-22-2003, 05:25 PM
My initial thoughts on the Rum was that it was left on the banks of the River by teens in a two fold attempt to keep it cold and to "sneek" it into the park early to try and come back for it during Grad Night when searches are more controlled.

lindyhop
01-22-2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Techie7
My initial thoughts on the Rum was that it was left on the banks of the River by teens in a two fold attempt to keep it cold and to "sneek" it into the park early to try and come back for it during Grad Night when searches are more controlled.

Um...is this based on personal experience?

:eek: :~)

:D

Techie7
01-22-2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by lindyhop
Um...is this based on personal experience?

:eek: :~)

:D

1hr 16min... Not bad I figured the first response to my statement would be around 1hr 30min. ;) Not from personal experience but I think I remember reading about it in Mouse Tales. :D I just keep having issues thinking about drinking anything that was inside ROA.

By the way... Has anyone checked eBay to see if they are selling viles of ROA water online yet?

Last side note... Anyone else think that the Dasani water tastes just a little different? :D

Laffite
01-22-2003, 06:51 PM
It's too bad that the drained river is "destroying" some magics for "regular' guests. Most of them don't even know (or realize) that MT and Columbia are on track.

Preston

lindyhop
01-24-2003, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Laffite
It's too bad that the drained river is "destroying" some magics for "regular' guests. Most of them don't even know (or realize) that MT and Columbia are on track.

Preston

What?!:confused: And don't tell me the river isn't really deep!

Sheila
01-24-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Techie7
By the way... Has anyone checked eBay to see if they are selling viles of ROA water online yet?

Oh Techie, your use of the word "vile" for the word "vial" is just sooo funny on so many levels when talking about the Rivers of America. ;)

It has to be the most disgusting water in the Western United States. :D

Sheila

Laffite
01-24-2003, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by lindyhop
What?!:confused: And don't tell me the river isn't really deep!

c'mon. Even I didn't know that before... oh, but that was [/i]waayyy[/i] back then ;)

Dexter
01-25-2003, 09:24 AM
Well, I asked my mother if she misplaced one of her bottles of rum while visiting the park at the hour of "Rum Thirty." She looked at me and didn't even bat an eye at saying. "If it had been me, the bottle would have been empty! I treat my Captain better than that!"