PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Lincoln

splbound
07-17-2001, 10:30 PM
Went to DL tonight for the 46th and to see Abe. I was disappointed all the way through. First, the preshow area with Walt's office is pretty sterile looking. Pictures look hastily hung.

Headphone effect is pretty good, for what it is...What it isn't is a compliment to the Lincoln show. The cute hair cutting special effects, breaking glass, walking, more along the mentality of Honey I shrunk...The show, as passe and tame as it was, had a certain "dignity" that was lost in a bunch of cheap effects. When Abe sat, I expected to hear a whooppee cushion. The headphones didn't work for me at all.

The real killer for me, however, was Abe. There is no finer moment in Walt's technical history then the time when Abe used to stand from his chair. even Just before it closed for the refurb people would still kind of gasp...sort of a "whoaaaa". That bit of magic was canned as Abe is standing when the curtain rises. At the end, he sits, but it is not dramatic at all...

Does anyone else feel this way after seeing it? I was sadly disappointed.

P.S. On a happier note. the hidden Mickey did jump out at us, though. At the end as abe starts to fade and the night sky s filled with stars....the group of stars at his 11:00 form a perfect Mickey. Looks almost like the outline of the old Mickey balloons.

Napsto
07-17-2001, 11:45 PM
i enjoyed it more than the other show.

JeffG
07-24-2001, 05:26 PM
I finally saw the new "Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln" on Sunday. While I admire the effort spent on upgrading the attraction, unfortunately I found the show to generally be an artistic failure.

I understand what they were trying to do with the idea of the viewer playing the role of "Private Cunningham", but I didn't really find it to be an effective approach for this show. Because of the narrow focus of the first-person perspective to the show, I didn't feel like it was able to convey the Civil War and the related issues that defined Lincoln's presidency as well as the more straightforward documentary approach used in the previous version of the show.

To give a specific example, I felt that the "Two Brothers" song from the previous show used the combination of well-chosen lyrics and vivid imagery to deliver its message about the pain and sacrifice of war in a powerful but non-graphic manner.

In this show, Private Cunningham's injury on the battlefield and loss of his leg was meant to convey a similar message. The problem was that the first-person perspective greatly limited the available approaches and the level of realism that would be needed to get the message across isn't possible in a Disneyland show. The end result has little emotional impact.

I also did not feel that the Gettysburg Address worked nearly as well as the previous speech. While it is certainly Lincoln's most famous speech and a brilliant piece of writing, the Gettysburg Address is also very focused in its subjectmatter and dependent on its context.

Even though the old speech was really just a collection of bits and pieces from a variety of Lincoln's speeches and writings, it very effectively and movingly provided an overview of the key themes and ideals that defined Lincoln's public life. Within the context of this type of presentation, it had a lot more resonance and meaning.

Finally, I believe that the decision to use the binaural headphones for this show was a huge mistake. It could reasonably be argued that the Lincoln show has always been largely a technological showcase, but originally that technology (animatronics) was very much in service of the ideas being conveyed. In contrast, I don't feel that the audio system really adds anything of value to this show.

For the most part, the binaural seems to be little more than a gimmick. Some of the effects (such as the haircut) are taken directly from the old demos that used to run at Disney/MGM Studios. They certainly don't serve to advance the story and, at times, they seem to take away from the dignified tone that this show has always had.

In one key way, though, the use of the binaural audio damages the show severely. During Lincoln's speech, the audio does not seem to be coming from the animatronic. Unlike with the previous version, it simply seemed like we were watching a moving statue while listening to some recorded audio. The illusion that was always the centerpiece of what this show had to offer is lost.

On the positive side, the upgrades to the theater and stage are outstanding and the new animatronic seems much more lifelike in its movement. I was also generally pleased with the production values of the show. In particular, I thought that the musical score used throughout the show was well chosen.

While I regret the loss of Royal Dano's voice, I do approve of the decision to use a new voice. Even in the previous show, the recording quality of Dano's performance was pretty jarring in comparison to the rest of the show. Even if a recording of Dano performing the Gettysburg Address was available, they were probably wise to make sure that the speech matched with the rest of the show audio.

I do kind of wish that they had picked a voice that was a bit closer to Dano's, regardless of whether or not Lincoln really sounded like that. If I felt the rest of the show were worthy of repeat viewings, I'd probably be able to get used to the new voice, though.

Although it might not have worked as well in the context of this specific show, I also wish they would have been able to at least retain Paul Frees' "skill of the sculptor" introduction to Lincoln's speech. The new show really does not have enough of a build-up to the appearance of the animatronic and the start of the speech. Perhaps the creators of the show decided to underplay it since animatronics are more routine today, but I think the history of the show still justified the larger build-up.

I really am glad that the folks running Disneyland were willing to commit the time and resources to keeping this attraction around, but I fear that the team that updated the show lost sight of what always made the show work.

-Jeff

splbound
07-24-2001, 06:21 PM
Jeff,

bravo. you said it much better than I.

"Ditto"

Napsto
07-24-2001, 09:04 PM
still liked it

Rok
07-24-2001, 09:31 PM
I'm not sure if I enjoyed the new show more, but I can say for certain that I will probably go to see it more often in it's current state. I would love to see the binural headphones used in 'Tough to be a bug'. How scary would that be.

Lacrosse Boy
07-26-2001, 11:00 AM
:) :) :) :) :)

I liked it.

Gemini Cricket
07-26-2001, 01:20 PM
I'm glad they got rid of that "Two Brothers" hippie song.
:D :D

stevemo
07-30-2001, 05:22 PM
I have to agree with JeffG. First, the CMs had to re-iterate often who we were supposed to be and that we needed to keep our headphones on and be sure that the red dot is on the right... in the preshow area twice and then again when we entered the theater. This really made the whole process seem like a lot of work. To much time spent on instructions than on introducing the program. The stereo effect was nice, but it felt like at times Lincoln was trying to stick his tongue in my ear. The previous show introduced us to this legendary figure, gave us a sense of the struggles and conflicts that he had to face, and then brought him to life before our very eyes where he then spoke brilliant words that are as relevant to us today as when they were first spoken. The new show uses the Lincoln to merely highlight the "new" audio technology.

This new audio system would be appropriate at a Universal Studios sound effects show, or at perhaps a similar show at DCA, where the technology is being showcased independant of content. The problem is Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln has always been about content, and the animatronics so impressed the 1960's viewer as to drive the message home. After hearing the comments from some show viewers and reading the comments from some of these posters, it would seem that content is lost on most people. Therefore they should rip out Mr. Lincoln and put in Superman the Ride!

Ralph Wiggum
07-30-2001, 06:18 PM
Havent seen the show in awhile but I do remeber it was getting kinda old. I have not yet gone since they redid it.

stan4d_steph
07-30-2001, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by stevemo
... The stereo effect was nice, but it felt like at times Lincoln was trying to stick his tongue in my ear.

Yeeecchhh! :eek:
I hope he bought you dinner first. ;)

I have to agree though, some of the effects creeped me out. The whisper in my ear was a bit much.

Uncle Dick
02-24-2002, 09:50 PM
The effects are rather nifty, but they take a lot away from the AA Lincoln himself, which should be the focus of the show. Remember the old show, where everything led up to Lincoln rising from his chair and delivering his speech? What's the focus here? It's the magical headphones. Lincoln's speech feels sort of tacked on and unconvincing. I much prefer the old show and the old songs "Two Brothers" and "Golden Dreams" (sorry Battle Hymn fans). And the old speech is actually interesting. That being said, I'm just glad that Lincoln's still around, and that this rehab will ensure his continued presence at Disneyland.

BiggJakeMoney
02-24-2002, 10:24 PM
My problem with the new Lincoln show is it's lack of an immersive experience. We're supposed to believe we're private Cunningham, doing all these different things like the haircut, the battle, seeing Lincoln at the White House, but how do they portray this? With slides! Still photos! I understand it's a "plug in your imagination here..." type of deal, but still, If I'm to even attempt stretching my imagination a bit, then they've got to surround me with more than 3-D sound and some slides. It just doesn't cut it.

Following that, I have a great idea for some added realism that wouldn't cost the entertainment division much. Seeing as you're supposed to have hurt your leg in the war, why don't they actually hurt your leg? Authentic 1800's flintlock muskets could poke out of the seat in front of you, and blow a big 'ol hole in your leg! I know that would add to the realism factor for me. Sitting there, wincing and screaming all high-pitched as the lead ball sizzled my quad muscles, as I listen to Mr. Lincoln speak.....wow, it would almost be just like being there!

Okay, you know what? I recant that suggestion. If Pressler actually reads this, he may be thick in the head enough to think it's a good idea and put it in there. You think I'm joking, but......this is Pressler, I wouldn't put it past him.

-BJM