PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland's 'future' circa 1990

SimpTwister
07-17-2001, 09:01 PM
I have an article from 1990 that explains in quite a bit of detail what was being planned for DL through the '90s.

Almost none of this stuff ever materialized as described.

It's from 'StoryboarD, Your Disneyana Magazine', March/April 1990.

The article begins, "Michael Eisner, chairman and CEO of the Walt Disney Company, announced plans on January 12 for a "Disney Decade" at Disneyland that will see the most ambitious expansion program ever at the original Disney theme park in Anaheim, California."

Here are some highlights:

1991 - The Young Indiana Jones Adventure Spectacular, "produced in collaboration with George Lucas". This sounds like a stunt show.

1993 - Mickey's Starland (present Toontown location). Features "Kermit The Frog Presents Muppetvision 3-D" in Mickey's Starland Theater.

Mickey's Starland was also supposed to get a Little Mermaid attraction in the "mid-90s".

1994 - New Tomorrowland.

-Alien Encounter, also described as being "produced in collaboration with George Lucas".

-Plectu's Fantastic Galactic Revue

-New Circle-Vision 360 film incorporating AAs. Presented by Delta Airlines.

-"A George Lucas-produced Disney 3-D motion picture which will take the technology of filmmaking to dazzling new heights".

1996 - Dick Tracy's Crime Stoppers. This is Phase 1 of Hollywoodland.

1999 - Hollywoodland.

-Toontown Trolley, a simulator (!).

- Baby Herman's Runaway Baby Buggy Ride, "where guests will zoom through the sets of Toontown Hospital, fly down stairs, crash through doors and bound over beds".

-Superstar Television

-The Great Movie Ride

The article is accompanied by renderings of Hollywoodland (with Mann's Chinese at the and of the street), Alien Encounter, and Dick Tracy's Crime Stoppers.

Interesting to look back and se how it all worked out, eh?

Well, at least we got IJA, which wasn't mentioned. I'll take that Tomorrowland plan, though. Please? ;)

Napsto
07-18-2001, 12:05 AM
where would hollywoodlan have been?

SimpTwister
07-18-2001, 12:30 AM
I can't figure that out.

Actually, what is says about Mickey's Starland is "adjacent to 'It's A Small World'", so maybe Starland would have gone into the Theatre area, and Hollywoodland would be where Toontown is.

Hollywoodland would have had "a towering backdrop of the Hollywood Hills, complete with a replica of the famous original Hollywoodland sign".

Toontown got a similar backdrop, so maybe Toontown replaced Hollywoodland? Just guessing here...

mickeyfantasmic
07-18-2001, 05:03 AM
dont be so negative! if you look at it quit a lot of things mentioned came to be (some better then others, som unfortunately). Maybe not al at DL but somewhere else!

we got the indiana jones adventure istead of a stunt show

Mickeys starland become toontown (better than the WDW Mickeys Starland for sure)

Alien encounter, and the new 360 film went to WDW (which shows they were really in development pre.Pressler.
plectus revue become cosmic rays in WDW

the hollywood land project fell altogether when the MGM studios started to change creative direction becoming more of a thrill park than a fammily park!

The little mermaid are is going to Tojyo disneys seas and was droped fromt he DL project in favor of cartoon spin

Its Strange how Presslers advent changed the plannig hu!
Some immagination huh!

mickeyfantasmic
07-18-2001, 05:15 AM
by7 the way..any good sites still uyp featuring art work or info on disney Decade projects!
My mouth is still wet looking at Westcot artwork!

Lacrosse Boy
07-18-2001, 11:07 AM
It is possible for it to go in the area behind Tomorrowland, this area was once planned as Liberty Street!

Napsto
07-18-2001, 08:57 PM
i thought liberty street would have been near main street. i wish we could get the hall of presidents ride.

SimpTwister
07-19-2001, 07:41 PM
<bump>

Just giving folks one more chance to see this before it glows... er, goes away forever.

DisneyFreak2000
07-20-2001, 10:25 PM
could anyone find the plans for DL through the 00's?

Napsto
07-21-2001, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by DisneyFreak2000
could anyone find the plans for DL through the 00's?

good idea

Uncle Dick
02-28-2002, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Napsto
i thought liberty street would have been near main street. i wish we could get the hall of presidents ride.
It would have been in between Main Street and Tomorrowland. There are some very interesting conceptual drawings inside the Mr. Lincoln exhibit which lay out what the whole land would have looked like. Personally, I think it could, and should, be done someday.

Just think of it.... The Hall of Presidents at WDW is going to need a new home someday and there's really no better place than Disneyland in a new "Liberty Street" area (or, more realistically, in the third park). Perhaps the show could be broken up a bit into different sections each on a smaller scale (the Founding Fathers, a Growing Nation, Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, Turn of the Century, the Modern Era, etc.). Just a thought.

TerryTiger
02-28-2002, 10:52 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Uncle Dick

Just think of it.... The Hall of Presidents at WDW is going to need a new home someday and there's really no better place than Disneyland in a new "Liberty Street" area (or, more realistically, in the third park). Perhaps the show could be broken up a bit into different sections each on a smaller scale (the Founding Fathers, a Growing Nation, Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, Turn of the Century, the Modern Era, etc.). Just a thought. [/QUOTE

They could even put it in a theater where the audience stays seated and each show section comes to them - maybe the theater could move! You know, it could rotate from scene to scene like a carousel showing the progress of our nation from inception to modern times. They could call it The Carousel of Progress.

Wouldn't that be amazing? (tongue firmly planted in cheek)