PDA

View Full Version : Crows attack DTD

Pages : [1] 2

socabch
01-20-2003, 07:39 PM
We went to the park today and when we were leaving about 5:30 there was a couple of hundred crows swarming DTD and the Promenade between the two parks. I felt like I was in a Hitchcock movie. They were flying back and forth from tree to tree making al kinds of noise. Most people were standing there just watching them. It was creepy. This is first time I've seen this at DLR.

HBTiggerFan
01-20-2003, 08:15 PM
this has nothing to do with it, but I swore your title read "CrowDs attack DCA" :eek:

I think RallyMonkey posted about the crows in the seagull thread awhile back, but I may be wrong.

:D

Alex S.
01-20-2003, 08:21 PM
I've seen the behavior before in the trees around Frontierland.

I've also seen crows (and sea gulls, but not in trees) do the same unexpected swarming thing elsewhere.

DisneyGuy03
01-20-2003, 08:22 PM
I read it the same way!

socabch
01-20-2003, 08:45 PM
HB Tigger Fan & DisneyGuy03,

LOL.... you guys are too funny. But actually some truth to your reading error. It was kind of crowDed there today.

stitcher
01-20-2003, 11:22 PM
The crowDs of crows is nothing new as far as I'm concerned. I worked main entrance for seven months and could almost set my watch to their daily migration(mostly based on the setting of the sun).

"fly....,fly.....,fly......"

:smiling clapping winged monkey smilie:

Laffite
01-20-2003, 11:26 PM
>The murder of crows is nothing new....<

;)

SoCalSnowWhite
01-21-2003, 12:10 AM
I was at the park on Sunday and no sooner than 2 seconds after my husband and I put our hoods on to protect ourselves....PLOP...crow poop on the stroller handlebar. Yuck!!

drjones
01-21-2003, 12:19 AM
my "mother-in-law" says crows swarm whenever there are hawks around, and that they are protecting their eggs.
i also saw the crows last sunday as we got off the mickey and friends tram at the entrance plaza

innerSpaceman
01-21-2003, 09:54 AM
The sunset crow swarm over Frontierland / Adventureland / Town Square / Main Entrance has been a Disneyland regular happening for at least the 25 years I've been going to the Park. Sometimes it's more pronounced than others, and this past weekend's crow gathering was amongst the best I've ever seen.

Riffildee-Raffledee-Now Now Now

mad4mky
01-21-2003, 10:35 AM
I agree with Innerspaceman.

Since I was a little girl, when we went down to visit DL (and I ain't no young crow myself!)...and Knott's...the sounds and sights of crows were part of the visit. To this day, when I hear crows in our area (and it seems we have a ton more now...they have taken over our little cities here in the Bay Area), I think of DL. Always. It's a sound synonymous to DL to me.

Perhaps you have just been noticing them because they are in larger, more spacious areas? Not so much crowding in the trees?

Hmm...maybe we should pluck a "magic feather" out of them...:rolleyes: :D

JestAGoof
01-21-2003, 11:30 AM
Hey Mad4Mky......I live in the Bay Area also, and man is it a Crowfest!

Directly in front of the house next door, we get maybe 10-14 at one time just hanging out to say hi. :D

mad4mky
01-21-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by JestAGoof
Hey Mad4Mky......I live in the Bay Area also, and man is it a Crowfest!

Directly in front of the house next door, we get maybe 10-14 at one time just hanging out to say hi. :D

Oh boy...one late afternoon this past summer...I couldn't hear the tv or anything IN the house...and I wondered what the noise was. A very large colony (or what ever you call swarms of crows) had decided to take over a large oak tree in our neighbors yard. There must have been hundreds of big, black crows in that tree. They were so loud and noisy.

Someone started throwing big balls up at them...to no avail. I can't remember what we all did to get them to leave (at the moment)...but it was a site to behold. I kept singing "If I saw an elephant flllllyyyyy!"
Nasty, big, noisy birds. We do have lots of 'em up here.

JestAGoof
01-21-2003, 12:00 PM
lol...I always feel like they live in the neighborhood and WE are the visitors. All I know, when I hear them sqwaking, I go a runnin inside, cause they always drop walnut shells on the ground to crack them open. I can just picture D-Day in the front yard with crows and shell bombing! :p

RStar
01-21-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by mad4mky
A very large colony (or what ever you call swarms of crows)

I think it's a flock. A lot of flocking crows, I'd say.;)

drjones
01-21-2003, 01:19 PM
a group pf crows is called a murder

tod
01-21-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by drjones
a group pf crows is called a murder

Every time I hear one of those fanciful animal group names I have an image of a bunch of venomous old granny ladies at a tea party, the muffled sound of them clapping their gloved hands together and one of them saying "Girls" -- why these harridans call each other "Girls" is beyond me -- "Girls, from now on a group of owls will be called a 'parliament'!"

I don't play that game myself.

--T
who was stuck with researching this [deleted] for game shows for years.

Laffite
01-21-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by tod
Every time I hear one of those fanciful animal group names I have an image of a bunch of venomous old granny ladies at a tea party, the muffled sound of them clapping their gloved hands together and one of them saying "Girls" -- why these harridans call each other "Girls" is beyond me -- "Girls, from now on a group of owls will be called a 'parliament'!"

I don't play that game myself.

--T
who was stuck with researching this [deleted] for game shows for years.

Oh calm down :rolleyes:

1. It is called a murder of crows.
2. It's not all that "uncommon" to hear someone say "a murder of crows" and
3. It was on the Simpsons ;)

Rallymonkey23
01-21-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Laffite
Oh calm down :rolleyes:

1. It is called a murder of crows.
2. It's not all that "uncommon" to hear someone say "a murder of crows" and
3. It was on the Simpsons ;)

It's also in my WWTBAM game. :p :p ;) ;)

And yes, HBTF, I did post about the crows in the pigeon thread. ;)

Seems like the murder of crows has been getting bigger and bigger over the years. You would think Disney would by them ultra sonic bird-keep-awayers. (whatever they are called) The problem is getting out of hand. Even a Scarecrow would not do the trick at this point. :rolleyes:

RStar
01-21-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Rallymonkey23
It's also in my WWTBAM game. :p :p ;) ;)

And yes, HBTF, I did post about the crows in the pigeon thread. ;)

Seems like the murder of crows has been getting bigger and bigger over the years. You would think Disney would by them ultra sonic bird-keep-awayers. (whatever they are called) The problem is getting out of hand. Even a Scarecrow would not do the trick at this point. :rolleyes:

Perhaps a shot gun would do the trick. Just a few shots in the air every once in a while would scare them off. And the tourists too. The lines would be shorter.

And a MURDER of crows???
Where did that come from????

odnamraortsac
01-21-2003, 03:47 PM
I say bring back the gunshot at the hippos in the Jungle Cruise. That might shake up the crows that seem to spend their evenings in the trees above the attraction. Maybe it would scare them over to DCA if it had a decent number of trees. It would be an interesting battle for superiority between the crows and DCA's increasingly aggressive seagulls.

cstephens
01-21-2003, 04:21 PM
On a related bird note, we had lunch at Ariel's Grotto in DCA on Sunday, and the proliferation of seagulls (as mentioned previously) was very obvious.

DisneyGuy03
01-21-2003, 08:09 PM
Well, at least we don't have a flamboyance of Flamingos, they stink. The reason that seaguls get more and mroe agressive is that people feed them, for some reason when people feed seaguls they get more agressive, I am honestly not sure why.....and no, I don't know what a group of Sea Guls is caled or I would add that oen to the growing list of these on here as well, but I am sure someone else will ;-)

socabch
01-21-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by mad4mky
I agree with Innerspaceman.

Since I was a little girl, when we went down to visit DL (and I ain't no young crow myself!)...and Knott's...the sounds and sights of crows were part of the visit. To this day, when I hear crows in our area (and it seems we have a ton more now...they have taken over our little cities here in the Bay Area), I think of DL. Always. It's a sound synonymous to DL to me.

Perhaps you have just been noticing them because they are in larger, more spacious areas? Not so much crowding in the trees?

Hmm...maybe we should pluck a "magic feather" out of them...:rolleyes: :D

Don't know why I didn't notice them before. It was just so many of them. One on every branch in the DTD entrance and all along the top of the buildings. No fish story..... there were more than two hundred.

blusilva
01-21-2003, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by DisneyGuy03
.....and no, I don't know what a group of Sea Guls is caled or I would add that oen to the growing list of these on here as well, but I am sure someone else will ;-)

Don't be silly. It's A Flock Of Seagulls, naturally.

And I ran. I ran so far away. I ran. I ran both night and day.

I couldn't get away.