PDA

View Full Version : Captain Kidds...BLECH! how do they do it? WHY do they do it???

nursechrissy32
09-17-2009, 06:00 PM
Many of us have been....cohersed into this restaurant....thinking it was a cool place to go with the Fam...and then, before you know it...

"BLECH, this is NASTY!"

And you read here, on MP...how it is so yucky, and then you tell everyone...
"Dont do it!"

Yet...there they stand....nasty food under the heat lamps...and poor souls at the door...with no idea what they are getting their tummies into!

Just thought I would share the random thought of many of us here...and hope that we may just save one more person from the Captain Kidds Tummy Trouble special! :)

quackinup
09-17-2009, 08:16 PM
After all the glowing reviews I think I may cancel my Napa Rose ressie and go here instead!

bennette
09-17-2009, 08:50 PM
It's the captive market and the buy one, get one free coupons they hand out.

And sadly, many tourists don't read MP first!!!

IllusionOfLife
09-18-2009, 06:26 AM
For us it was the lure of less-than-Disney priced ice cream.

Before that day I never knew you could screw up ice cream…

codewoman
09-18-2009, 06:35 AM
We were lucky. I saw the location and figured if they have to give out coupons to lure you in it must be pretty awful.

Bob Weaver
09-18-2009, 07:08 AM
You would do far better by going to Mimi's Cafe down the street. The French onion soup is great, the salads are good, the buttermilk spice muffin alone is worth going to Mimi's for.

spectromen
09-18-2009, 08:13 AM
Even after this resurgence of horror, I STILL want to go experience it myself some day! :p

mechurchlady
09-18-2009, 08:15 AM
It's the captive market and the buy one, get one free coupons they hand out.

And sadly, many tourists don't read MP first!!!
They do not read any sites it seems. I have seen this posted all over the internet. I would say that all the Disney boards have one unifying thing in common, they hate Captain Kidd's and strongly urge people to stay away.

You are right about them coupons. People see a meal for under $10 and try the place when they could get a better meal at Denny's or McDonalds. I am on a tight budget this trip but I would never eat at Captain Kidd's and rather drive home and cook dinner than eat there.

aznewsboy
09-18-2009, 08:16 AM
Codewoman-you hit the nail on the head. They are out there all the time handing out coupons but most people are only thinking of saving a few dollars & get suckered in. You were smart-we lived & learned. We survived to tell others "Don't go"!

Such a prime location. Such a waste. I'm pretty sure the percentage of guests who read up on DL on forums is low so our warnings don't reach the majority.

Tinkmom
09-18-2009, 09:06 AM
I have a confession....I ate there Tuesday night despite all the warnings...Ok so first my DH and FIL went despite my warnings. They called, said it was "ok". Me, My mom and DD were starving and our feet we at the end of day 3 (our last day in the parks) so we went to join them. I was reluctant and very selective of what I ate and what I allowed DD to eat. But with that said, the food wasn't awful. It was pretty much on the same level of our local Hometown Buffet only a smaller selection. The park had just closed so it was packed and the food didn't have time to sit out so at least it was fresh. It got the job done, didn't taste bad at all and no one had any complaints or tummy issues. It wasn't half as bad as others made it out to be. So in all honesty, I might go back at a very busy time if I was hungry and tired. I still would not try it at a non busy time when food had the chance to sit out but thats pretty much my rule for any buffet.

Matterhorn Yodeler
09-18-2009, 09:39 AM
It was pretty much on the same level of our local Hometown Buffet only a smaller selection.

Well I have to admit that I've always had this morbid curiosity about eating there. Being local, I've never stayed at the hotels in the area, so it hasn't been convenient to stop in. But thanks to the above quote, I no longer have any need to try it. I've been to a Hometown Buffet one time. That was ENOUGH! I would never go back there. Add to that a smaller selection and it seals the deal. Thanks for "scratching the itch" that I had about the place! :p

DisneyMouse
09-18-2009, 10:33 AM
I have eaten at Captain Kidd's a couple of times and have never found it to be any worse than Denny's. Granted I don't do Denny's very often either. We usually go there when the free continental breakfast doesn't have anything we want ;) But we are beginning to take most of our own food so it will probably be bagels in the hotel room from now on!