PDA

View Full Version : So I read...Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor Comedy

houseofmouse
09-17-2009, 09:35 AM
So I read on another website. I am not ever sure if I can post said website's name. If I can I will post a linky.;)

It says that they may put in Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor Comedy where HISTA is right now. It states that it will be 2011 before that happens.

I am curious about opinions on this. I saw it in Florida and we enjoyed it and thought it was pretty funny. The que is very well done and so is the theater. However, we did not feel the need to do it more than once while we were there.
Something new would be nice. What do you think? :)

AVP
09-17-2009, 09:41 AM
This has been a rumored replacement for Honey, I Shrunk the Audience for a while. I'd say it's more likely to happen than Captain EO, but it's still in the blue sky stage.

AVP

houseofmouse
09-17-2009, 09:44 AM
I kinda figured it was still speculative.
What are your thoughts on it? Good, bad, eh??:)

AVP
09-17-2009, 09:56 AM
Personally? I'd go see it once, and probably not return. I've seen it in WDW twice, and the quality of the show seems directly proportional to the size of the audience. We were in there once with a very small crowd, and it was actually awkward - exactly like a bad open mic night at a comedy club. I don't think that's the experience they intended to create.

Disneyland needs attractions that our demographic (local, repeat visitors) will respond to, and I don't think the Laugh Floor works for us. That's completely my opinion, and it may be that other people could spend the entire day in there. I'm also not terribly thrilled about getting a recycled attraction just because it can fit in the square footage available, instead of something created for that location. I have a hard time with the themeing of the Laugh Floor in Tomorrowland anyway, and I think it would be worse in Disneyland. If they really feel we need one in California, throw it over in Disney's Pixar Adventure, and create something unique for Disneyland.

AVP

olegc
09-17-2009, 10:00 AM
Disneyland needs attractions that our demographic (local, repeat visitors) will respond to, and I don't think the Laugh Floor works for us. That's completely my opinion, and it may be that other people could spend the entire day in there. I'm also not terribly thrilled about getting a recycled attraction just because it can fit in the square footage available, instead of something created for that location. I have a hard time with the themeing of the Laugh Floor in Tomorrowland anyway, and I think it would be worse in Disneyland. If they really feel we need one in California, throw it over in Disney's Pixar Adventure, and create something unique for Disneyland.

AVP

I am there with AVP. Too often these days the "One Disney Parks" mentality makes recycling attractions a four letter word to locals here. It seems that all the analysts in the world can't convince Rasulo and his yes men that the demographic here in So Cal is quite different than in Florida. Koenig in realityland even noted that when they planned WDW they needed something to attract east coasters because most would not be repeat customers to Disneyland in Anaheim. Even in the 30s/40s walt saw this. Why can't current management understand it? When you see the shadow of that giant shoehorn - RUN!

houseofmouse
09-17-2009, 10:02 AM
Me too. Why do they feel the need to recycle attractions? To me that means someone in Imagineering is not doing their job. Those guys are so creative, surely they can plan a new attraction. Thanks AVP that was what I was wondering. People's personal opinions. :)

olegc
09-17-2009, 10:10 AM
Me too. Why do they feel the need to recycle attractions? To me that means someone in Imagineering is not doing their job. Those guys are so creative, surely they can plan a new attraction. Thanks AVP that was what I was wondering. People's personal opinions. :)

well, I would not blame the creativity of Imagineers as much as the budget masters and bean counters telling them what they COULD do with the space, or maybe Jay's wife had another revelation...

oregontraveler
09-17-2009, 10:27 AM
On one hand, anythiing to replace HISTA would be a welcome change.
On the other, since HISTA was an Orlando original, let's put something new in there that fits into the TL theme.

Bytebear
09-17-2009, 10:36 AM
If the show gains value by having a larger crowd, maybe they could reduce the number of shows, and post them on a marquee, rather than just the open line format of Muppets 3D and HISTA. That might bring more people into the show for a livelier audience.

racccoon
09-17-2009, 10:38 AM
They had the Stitch Escape attraction there once. I never been on it, do you think it would work here?

Drince88
09-17-2009, 10:58 AM
They had the Stitch Escape attraction there once. I never been on it, do you think it would work here?

They still have that attraction in the Magic Kingdom. It replaced Alien Encounter which Replaced Mission to Mars which Replaced Mission to the Moon (or maybe the Mars replacement of Moon was at DL only, and MK started with Mars - I don't know).

But that attraction requires a lot more than a standard 'theater' arrangement with the seats and overhead "restraints" -I'm not sure that would physically fit in the HISTA space.

(Didn't they use the Mission to the Moon/Mars space for Buzz?)

I agree, with AVP, too - that they REALLY need to keep the different demographics of the two parks in mind when they decide what attractions to clone over. (And that goes both ways.)

aznewsboy
09-17-2009, 11:04 AM
We've never seen it since we've never been to DW but I can't see how it would fit in "Tomorrow"land. Someone correct me if I'm wrong since a talking about a show I've never seen.

Pilot Mickey
09-17-2009, 11:22 AM
(Didn't they use the Mission to the Moon/Mars space for Buzz?)

Buzz is in the former circle-vision theater and rocket rods queue area. Redd Rockett's Pizza Port is near where the Mission to the Moon/mars attraction was.

Jodi
09-17-2009, 11:54 AM

If the Disney gods are kind, this will never happen.

I was thinking while reading this thread, "I agree with AVP, but ANYTHING's better than hista."

Then I saw this question and was proved wrong. I think Stich's Great escape would be worse. Oh. The smell. (insert barfy smilie here.)

Phil Johnson
09-17-2009, 01:03 PM
The Monsters show wouldn't be a good fit for Tomorrowland. AVP's got it right. I might see it once. I saw it at WDW and that was enough. Plus, there's nothing "tomorrow" about a comedy club.

As a working comedian myself, that show is a little too close to the truth. I can see hokey comedy any night of the week for less money.

I would love to see them do something that doesn't involve a projection screen.

Phil Johnson
http://www.RoadsideAttraction.com

Bytebear
09-17-2009, 01:28 PM
I wouldn't mind a new dark ride of some kind. maybe an upgraded version of Inner Space. They certainly have the room, and could even make the roof more secure so you can actually do something more creative with the uppder Space Mountain deck.

houseofmouse
09-17-2009, 02:21 PM
How about a TRON attraction? Since the second movie is coming out in 2011, that might be fun.

cstephens
09-17-2009, 02:26 PM
How about a TRON attraction? Since the second movie is coming out in 2011, that might be fun.

FYI, Variety is reporting today that the film will be released on December 17, 2010.

IllusionOfLife
09-18-2009, 11:14 AM
I think it'd be better to combine the HISTA space with the Starcade and put something really cool there. The only problem is figuring out how to redirect Space Mountain Traffic.

TowerofTerror
09-18-2009, 11:49 AM
I think they should put it in the theater-her where Honey I Shrunk Audiences is at

houseofmouse
09-18-2009, 06:00 PM
I agree with Phil. I don't think comedy is very futuristic. If it were aliens, instead of Monsters, even then it would be a stretch to really make it work.

disney_leonard
09-18-2009, 08:17 PM
I haven't seen the Monsters ILF but from everything I've read it does not fit the TL theme. As to recycling attractions, it all depends on the attraction. Space Mt. works in both DL and WDW. Mission Space would be a cool recycle from WDW. These are repeaters not a one time thing.

I second the idea of a new attraction. TRON, Wall-E, something new.

As I posted on the other site, plug EO into HISTA for a while until they green light a new attraction.