PDA

View Full Version : Using Priceline for hotel?

jamsandwich
01-20-2003, 04:26 PM
Just wondering if anyone's used Priceline for hotel rooms, and if so, how the experience has been. I've been looking at some reports from Priceline users and it sounds like there are some (really) good deals to be had...

I'm eager to hear -- looks like our Disney trip will be sooner rather than later...

-Jamie

HBTiggerFan
01-20-2003, 08:12 PM
I used priceline while booking a trip to San Diego. I did $40 for a 2.5 star hotel and ended up at the Courtyard by Marriott 2 days before I was going.

I know that several people here have used it to book rooms by Disneyland and hopefully they will be along soon to help you out.

experiment626
01-20-2003, 08:39 PM
I used priceline for a trip in August 01. I put in for a 2.5 star for $50 and go Hawthorn Suites. I also plan to bid for our April trip (though I do have a back up at Days Inn on Harbor) I plan to bid on 2.5 or 3 stars.

You can try this site for help. http://www.biddingfortravel.com

DaddyB
01-20-2003, 11:05 PM
I've gotten great deals on hotel rooms thru Priceline. $60 per night at a Hyatt. About the same for the Hilton in Newport Beach (ON the beach). The really nice thing is that they don't treat you any worse just because you're a priceline customer. I was unhappy with our room at Newport Beach (far away and overlooked A/C units) and they upgraded us to a beach / pool view room for free.

I live close to DL, so I've never tried it for resort area hotels.

daannzzz
01-21-2003, 11:29 AM
I love using Priceline for hotels and cars on some trips but not to Disney resorts. Ilike to control which hotel/motel I am staying at in Anaheim. I did use Priceline once for my late arrival night once and got the Residence Inn and it was a great place but a bit to far to walk and I am ito mpatient to wait for a shuttle. Generally it seems everyone had gotten nice places in Anaheim.
I have done very well in areas other than Anaheim. The best deal was the Santa Clara Westin for $29.

jslivinski
01-22-2003, 12:37 PM
There is another thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13222) on this subject which includes a link to a past Priceline discussion.

nhasler
01-22-2003, 03:19 PM
We usually bid on hotels now - even in Anaheim. We almost always bid 3 star in Anaheim. WE have stayed at the Hyatt Suites, Doubletree, Hyatt many times, and the Westcoast. We have never paid more than $50. The best place to look for a bidding strategy is www.biddingfortravel.com. We use this all the time to see what hotels people are getting and for what price.

Wishful
01-26-2003, 12:09 PM
I've used both Priceline.com and HotelKingdom.com (which is not an auction-type site). With Priceline I've gotten great hotels in the Anaheim area in the $40-$70 range depending on the date. I've gotten into Marriotts and Sheratons, which isn't bad. I sometimes use Priceline for travel arrangements for my job too.

I like HotelKingdom.com because it shows you the price and you don't have to bid or worry about your bid not being accepted. With Priceline sometimes I bid too low and then I can't bid again for a few days or I have to bid in another category. Maybe another poster can give you the details on that, but that's why I don't use Priceline exclusively.

Doing all your homework can pay off too, there are a lot of discounts out there and coupons and stuff. At the least make sure you know what the lowest available public rate is on a hotel before you bid, why go through bidding if you can get the rate with a phone call and avoid the fees?

Good luck & Have fun!

Wishful

stinkerbell
01-26-2003, 10:33 PM
I've used Priceline now a few times, although not in Anaheim, and have had good luck. $30-$35 for Doubletree and Radisson Hotels. I used www.biddingfortravel.com and I can't stress to you how important it is to use the strategies posted on that board. I would have paid much more for my room, if I didn't know what I was doing.

Bidding in Anaheim is tricky, but there are definite strategies to it and you can get really great deals--$35-$45 for hotels like the Marriott, West Coast Anaheimm, and the Westin. You have to be flexible to do it though.

We're in a tight spot as a family of five, so I plan to use www.hotelkingdom.com for our next reservation. We're not very flexible....;) I have used hotelkingdom before, got a great rate, but had to cancel, with no fees paid. I had a good experience with them, even though I didn't go on the trip.

They have a phone number on their website, so you can book online or over the phone. I thought their customer service was great.

Good luck! Let us know how you do. :)