PDA

View Full Version : Crowds on Super Bowl Sunday?

sdsualum
01-20-2003, 02:34 PM
I was just wondering what kind of crowds to expect at Disneyland on Super Bowl Sunday?

Ghoulish Delight
01-20-2003, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by sdsualum
I was just wondering what kind of crowds to expect at Disneyland on Super Bowl Sunday? Never an easy question to answer. It seems to flucuate. Some years everyone is interested in the Superbowl and crowds are low. Other years, everyone and their brother thinks, "hey, everyone will be watching the Superbowl. Let's go to Disneyland!" and it's super crowded.

Were I a betting man, I'd bet the crowds will be small this year. A lot of attractions are closed, and the game is relatively local, so that will garner some more local interest in the game.

DisneyGuy03
01-20-2003, 03:37 PM
I live in San Diego, I am not getting anywhere near a freeway or Qualcomm stadium on Sunday.

Morrigoon
01-20-2003, 03:45 PM
There's a good point to consider: a California team is playing.

DisneyGuy03
01-20-2003, 05:18 PM
Yes and all of the hotels in the area here have been sold out for months now......people are renting out a room in their house for as much as $2500 per night.

socabch
01-20-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by DisneyGuy03
I live in San Diego, I am not getting anywhere near a freeway or Qualcomm stadium on Sunday.

I am in complete agreement with you there. Even if DLR was empty I still don't want to get on the freeway between San Diego and ex-Raider territory. I hope the weather is nice so I can walk to the beach and relax.

Ghoulish Delight
01-21-2003, 07:25 AM
Yeah, and silly me, I've agreed to attend something in San Diego on Sunday (not the Superbowl). I'm doing everything I can to find a friend to stay with so I can come down Saturday and not fight Sunday morning traffic.

But then again, I've seen what San Diego considers "horrible traffic." :rolleyes: Please, I grew up in LA. I spent a summer commuting through the Sepulveda pass during rush hour. My high school was a 45 minute drive from my house. Y'all don't know the meaning of traffic. :p

DisneyGuy03
01-21-2003, 09:05 AM
SUperbowl weekend will likely see it taking an hour to get one mile (this includes Fri. night and Sat as well) on any freeway, that is if you are lucky. We have SO much contruction going on here right now that it is going to totally mess up the freeway system, luckily I know a few roads that should be unaffected by this, since I am planning on going to Disneyland on Saturday.

The freeway by Qualcomm has only 5 lanes and narriows down to three or four shortly after. (15 south that is) and the 8 is a mess as well, the 5 is under massive construction, I have no idea how many lanes are currently there at the merge on to the 8. Qualcomm way has been under construction a lot lately, hopefully it won't be this weekend.

It truly will be a mess, considering where the hotels that are booked are located in comparison to the stadium as well, the majority are booked in downtown and wll drive up to Qualcomm stadium, this will end up messing up north bound traffic as well as messing up east bound traffic on the 8 even more than it would normally be.

Just thought I'd give you a heads up there.

Pony Sugrue
01-21-2003, 12:32 PM
Well I was at DISNEYLAND on a SATURDAY during the second to the last game of the World Series this past October. You'd think with the hometown ANGELS and THE GIANTS in the series, DL would lighten up on the crowds. I have hardly seen it any more crowded... before, during and after the game.

So if the hometown hero ANGELS can't lighten the load, then teams from Florida and Oakland probably won't do it either

Ghoulish Delight
01-21-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Pony Sugrue
Well I was at DISNEYLAND on a SATURDAY during the second to the last game of the World Series this past October. You'd think with the hometown ANGELS and THE GIANTS in the series, DL would lighten up on the crowds. I have hardly seen it any more crowded... before, during and after the game.

So if the hometown hero ANGELS can't lighten the load, then teams from Florida and Oakland probably won't do it either Ah, but remember, there are 7 world series games (and there were 4 at home). Many people came in from out of town with tickets to 1 game, and took advantage of the fact by going to Disneyland the othere day(s) of their visit. On the otherhand, anyone who is in town for the game will be at the game on Sunday. Saturday, however, might be really bad as people may come in for the full weekend and take a side trip up the 5.

MickeyD
01-21-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
But then again, I've seen what San Diego considers "horrible traffic." :rolleyes: Please, I grew up in LA. I spent a summer commuting through the Sepulveda pass during rush hour. My high school was a 45 minute drive from my house. Y'all don't know the meaning of traffic. :p

I don't know. I've seen the I-15N during evening rush hour look just as bad as the Sepulveda pass used to, and I've heard the 1-5N during evening rush hour is worse, but thankfully I never had to experience it.

But all I know is that I don't have to deal with SD traffic or LA traffic anymore! :p

socabch
01-25-2003, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by DisneyGuy03
It truly will be a mess, considering where the hotels that are booked are located in comparison to the stadium as well, the majority are booked in downtown and wll drive up to Qualcomm stadium, this will end up messing up north bound traffic as well as messing up east bound traffic on the 8 even more than it would normally be.

No one is allowed to drive to the Q, from what I'm hearing you can't even drop-off people on Friars Rd in front of the stadium. Mass transit is the ONLY way to get to the stadium. But I predict that will put more pressure on the surface streets near Trolley stations and bus stops. I think freeway traffic between LA & SD will be bad because alot of LA Raiders fans will drive down for Sunday only and park in the Trolley parking lots. They were telling people last night not to drive into the Gaslamp Dist. because traffic was heavy and all the parking lots were full. Either way I'm not driving anywhere. Lucky for me I can walk to most stores from my home if I need anything.

On a side note..... I saw on the news that the air space above the stadium is closed. Even to the blimp!!!:eek: What is a Super Bowl without the blimp ariel shots!!!!

SoCalDisneyLover
01-25-2003, 10:45 AM
On a side note..... I saw on the news that the air space above the stadium is closed. Even to the blimp!!!:eek: What is a Super Bowl without the blimp ariel shots!!!!

Now that is just plain dumb. Someone sabotaging the Good Year Blimp is highly unlikely. I imagine they guard their facility in Carson very well. They do some pretty irrational things in the so-called name of safety. Do they really feel a single blimp poses a threat?

DisneyGuy03
01-25-2003, 10:26 PM
The Air Space over the Stadium is always off-limits, due to how close (well, not that close, but close enough) to the Airport, this started Sept. 12th, 2001 or so. Basically the second that San Diego was considered to be threatened.

As for Super Bowl Sunday at Disneyland: There are signs all over the Hollywood backlot promoting the super bowl on ABC Sports, so, my guess is that they'll be showing it in Downtown Disney is the same style as the World Series, even though they aren't Disney teams, again this is just my guess.

GoofyDad
01-25-2003, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by SoCalDisneyLover
Now that is just plain dumb. Someone sabotaging the Good Year Blimp is highly unlikely. I imagine they guard their facility in Carson very well. They do some pretty irrational things in the so-called name of safety. Do they really feel a single blimp poses a threat?

If you're wondering what type of threat the blimp could pose, read the book Black Sunday, or check out the movie (starring a rather maniacal Bruce Dern). In the book, the Goodyear blimp is hijacked and used (unsuccesfully) in an attack on the Super Bowl.

After 9/11, I think security folks would rather play it safe.

HBTiggerFan
01-25-2003, 11:06 PM
speaking of scary things happening at the superbowl, whos seen or read Sum of All Fears? :eek: :eek: Wasn't that superbowl (in the book or the movie I forget becuase the movie location differed from the book) in SD?? :eek:

socabch
01-25-2003, 11:38 PM
In the movie it was on the east coast, but I can't remember where. Don't know about the book since I didn't read it. I'm lazy....:D I want the movie so I'll know the end faster.

DaddyB
01-26-2003, 12:05 AM
So have we settled the original question about how busy we think Disneyland is going to be today?

Since more than a few posts were about San Diegan's not leaving their houses Sunday, I suspect that at least the park will be mostly free of guests from that area of the state!

Furthermore, since the World Series was pretty much held next door to the stadium, lots of families went to the park while the lucky one's with tickets went to the game... or the whole family went on days when they didn't have tickets (as Ghoulish Delight said). That's not going to be the case here.

I'm betting it's pretty quite... especially for a weekend day.
I hope to make it myself, just to see. Anyone else admitting to making it to the parks?

HBTiggerFan
01-26-2003, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by socabch
In the movie it was on the east coast, but I can't remember where. Don't know about the book since I didn't read it. I'm lazy....:D I want the movie so I'll know the end faster.

Ben Affleck helps too

though I have a major issue with Ben Afflect playing Jack Ryan in a storyline taking place after some of the movies with Harrison Ford playing Jack Ryan ie Clear and Present Danger, Patriot Games (which is essentially giving Jack Ryan the fountain of youth :mad: ). I also have issue with Jack Ryan "dating" Cathy in the movie while in the book he is married with kids.

KarenW2
01-26-2003, 12:14 AM
Guess my topic on this question got buried, but yes, we are planning on going tomorrow. Since we have one 20% off coupon still left to spend (used the first one on the Sleeping Beauty piece) from renewing our PAPs, and the expiration date is 1-31-03 (didn't get one with the 1-31-04, like some we've read about here!), we figured it was our last chance to use it.

Sure hope it isn't crowded, since with the HUGE crowds that were there at Christmas and after, I "crowded out" at this point!!

socabch
01-26-2003, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by KarenW2
Guess my topic on this question got buried, but yes, we are planning on going tomorrow. Since we have one 20% off coupon still left to spend (used the first one on the Sleeping Beauty piece) from renewing our PAPs, and the expiration date is 1-31-03 (didn't get one with the 1-31-04, like some we've read about here!), we figured it was our last chance to use it.

Sure hope it isn't crowded, since with the HUGE crowds that were there at Christmas and after, I "crowded out" at this point!!

DLR itself probably won't be crowded during the game. But it's getting to and from DLR that may be a hassle unless you live close enough to avoid the freeways. Mostly because they are predicting a lot of LA fans of the Raiders will be on the freeway on Sunday (even if they don't have tickets) just to go to San Diego and celebrate in the sports bars. I more concerned about drunk drivers after the game.

DisneyGuy03
01-26-2003, 09:48 AM
What has me concerned, isn't the drunk drivers, but rahter all the stupid raider fans that think they always have to destroy everything after the game....I sure hope they have better manners this time around.