PDA

View Full Version : Memories from yester years of Disneyland and what you miss!

Pages : [1] 2

Tracemountain
09-11-2009, 11:43 AM
So, I know this has been kind of touched with the survey of the attractions you would like to see return but I'm thinking anything from the past. Have to give "Dan" props for this idea since he posted me about a website called yesterland.com.

So what I remember fondly was:

1. Old Gibson Girl Soda shop bar with the massive antique wooden and marble bar. Always a must for my family! Just like an old time fountain shop.

2. Country Bear Jamboree-my Great Uncle Don loved this and Big Al especially. He had a stuffed animal Big Al in the living room of his house. Wish we had salvaged that!

3. Skull Rock-just a cool sight and with the Pirates of the Carribean movies still fitting.

HauntedKid
09-11-2009, 12:02 PM
Country Bear Jamboree- I loved it so much!!

The Evil Queen
09-11-2009, 12:55 PM
I totally miss seeing Skull Rock. Now, looking at the River, I can't even remember where it was. I also miss how Tom Saywer Island was a really long time ago with the balance rock and the Native American show...

Anyone else remember this?:confused:

zombie pirate
09-11-2009, 01:11 PM
I miss the big parking lot, it was so easy to park, and go inside.

Hannahbelle
09-11-2009, 01:13 PM
imtheevilqueen -- Sorry I saw your other "mommy" post and totally LOL when I saw your avatar!
:D

I miss country bears too!

The Evil Queen
09-11-2009, 01:22 PM
imtheevilqueen -- Sorry I saw your other "mommy" post and totally LOL when I saw your avatar!
:D

I miss country bears too!

Just couldn't resist...:D

sendkeys
09-11-2009, 02:11 PM
I miss the great shops before they filled them with the same china made plush toys. One of our favorites at Disneyland was the German shop. Thay had all types of coco clocks and other German/Sweden type items. Every year when we went to Disneyland we bought one. My sister and I have around 20 of them now. They are all at my house but we share them. When we go to disneyland now, other than buying a few post cards we don't even look at the shops.

houseofmouse
09-11-2009, 02:21 PM
I still miss eating inside at Carnation Cafe. It was nice on a rainy or chilly day.

I miss the People Mover. My now hubby and I used to ride it all the time when we were dating in High School. Such memories. Would be fun to see it re-done. Would be neat to take my kids on.

I miss the characters walking all around the park and the diversity of who was out. You never knew who might be walking by you! I remember one time all 3 little piggies walking down by Matterhorn on the Fantasyland side. Noses wiggling. :) I was probably 11 or 12. Now the characters all have a spot it seems and it kinda takes away from the surprise aspect of it. I have a pic of me as a baby about 1 yr meeting Mr. Smee on Main Street. You just don't see that anymore.

Tracemountain
09-11-2009, 02:31 PM
Oh yes the shops, Sendkeys! I also remember the crystal and glass store as well as the perfumery where you could whip up your own scent instead of having to buy all the celebrities now! Ah good times.

mechurchlady
09-11-2009, 02:41 PM
It was like a ritual for us as we always ate at the Pirate Ship. I miss eating tuna sandwiches especially those. I would give up my car for one chance to eat and not get sick on one of their sandwiches with those little sword toothpicks. Saved them for many years.

Carnation Cafe before it was chopped up into an outdoor cafe.

Mr. Lincoln is coming back thankfully.

Tahitian Terrace

Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse

Indian Village

Big Thunder Ranch like it was when it first opened.

Plays at Fantasyland Theater

The old Fantasyland theater where me and mom would watch movies Pecos Bill. sigh

Flying Saucers

Motor Boats

People Mover

I miss eating corn dogs and wish there was a way I could still eat them as I would eat two right now.

Soap Opera Bistro

I wish they would bring back the big eatery at DCA in Hollywood as it was a nice place to get 4 types of food

Tom Sawyer Island the way it was when there was a secret escape tunnel and it was cool to play there.

rakkwhite
09-11-2009, 03:08 PM
Tom Sawyer Island the way it was when there was a secret escape tunnel and it was cool to play there.

I loved the tunnel that ran from the fort to ???? I don't remember where it ended up. I was so young and I remember thinking we were the only people that knew about the "secret" tunnel. Fun times!!

TowerofTerror
09-11-2009, 03:49 PM
People Mover and Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse

Bob Weaver
09-12-2009, 06:03 AM
Parking lot, trams and the big sign
Mine Train thru Nature's Wonderland
Carnation Cafe and the Sunkist Corner with the rotting oranges on the wall
The huge full-color maps you could buy for like $1.50
Adventure thru Inner Space
Kodak Picture Spots
Swiss Family Treehouse - so fun
PeopleMover
Water show at the Disneyland Hotel (and the one at Sea World)
Carousel of Progress especially the city at the end
Glass blower in New Orleans Square
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln especially the clouds changing to a flag
America the Beautiful
but the thing I miss the most is the happy vibe the place used to have

cstephens
09-12-2009, 06:38 AM
but the thing I miss the most is the happy vibe the place used to have

Funny, I still get and see that every time I visit.

Malcon10t
09-12-2009, 07:12 AM
Funny, I still get and see that every time I visit.I still do also!

mechurchlady
09-12-2009, 07:53 AM
I still do also!
me three

twindaddy
09-12-2009, 09:04 AM
Funny, I still get and see that every time I visit.

Agreed. Nothing will take that away from me, not even the end of free refills.

tod
09-12-2009, 09:10 AM
I totally miss seeing Skull Rock. Now, looking at the River, I can't even remember where it was. I also miss how Tom Saywer Island was a really long time ago with the balance rock and the Native American show...

Anyone else remember this?:confused:

Skull Rock was in Fantasyland, just west of the Storybook Land whale.

And the Indian Village was where Critter Country is now.

Does that help?

--t

lauramaynot
09-12-2009, 09:18 AM
I miss being able to see the matterhorn from miles away. We drove to DL from Barstow which was about an hour and a half drive. But when we saw the matterhorn we all would cheer and the excitement would just build (6 kids can get pretty rowdy!) I miss the long drive through the parking lot as well. It was always my dad's goal to park as close as possible and that meant we sometimes sat in line outside the gate waiting for the parking lot to open and then when we got in the parking lot there was a massive maze of cones to get to the front. LOL! that was always agonizing!

Corith
09-12-2009, 09:57 AM
Tough call on this one. There is so much I miss.

I miss seeing the bright colors of the peoplemover and skyway moving against the white concrete. I miss hearing the song at the end of the Adventures through Innerspace.

I miss watching grey subs cruise liquid space.

I miss coming out of Carsole of Progress whistling that snappy song - Its a big briight beautiful tomorow.

Come on, admit it. We all liked seeing the site of Tomorrowland as we walked from Fantasyland with all the various forms of Tomorrowland transportation moving about. Both the Skyway and the PeopleMover were painted in those bright colors that really caught your eye against the stark white of Tomorrowland. The subs cruising around their lagoon under the watchful gaze of the Monorail, while the rocket jets spun high in a distant sky. It all looked so busy, so active, so ALIVE. Walt's vision of the future had that busy, hustling, look and feel.

Sure, nothing lasts forever and attractions come and go, but when they remade tomorrowland did they have to do such a bad job?

disminfan
09-12-2009, 11:36 AM
Here's my list of what I miss from years ago:

Town Square Cafe- It was the first place we went as soon as we left the hotel for breakfast. It was also where the characters such as Mickey, Minnie and Goofy used to hang out. They were always in that area and our kids would never finish their meal because they were so distracted by them. I loved it!!

That Gourmet shop in New Orleans. I would browse and buy every time I went in. It was my favorite place to shop.

Just like most everyone else here, I miss the Peoplemover. What better way to relax and kick back.

oh well, I sure am glad those memories are in videos.

Bob Weaver
09-12-2009, 12:33 PM
I miss the 1976 fireworks show which was done in red, white and blue fireworks and it was longer than the years before and after it. We lived in Orange and I could walk up La Veta avenue to the bridge over the 55 freeway and watch it from there. Of course it was better up close, but still even from far away it was like the 4th of July every night of the summer. And the fireworks shows are far more sophisticated now, but the bicentennial one was beautiful.

I think the song at the end of Inner Space that you referred to is "Miracles from Molecules" and you can hear it now on one of the Disneyland compliation CDs. And I also liked that big oil string sculpture thing at the end of that ride, with the long strings in a double-cone shape and the drops of oil endlessly rolling down the strings. That was cool too.

Teddi
09-13-2009, 09:08 AM
I miss my name. :( It's not a very common one, you rarely see it around. But it was soo cool that my name used to be painted on a store rooftop in Critter Country. It's been gone year now, since I think they put in the WTP ride or w/in a couple years thereafter.... but it said "Teddi"... and so when you waited in the line @ Slash Mt you could see it.

I miss People Mover, I miss the Fantasy Faire show (ok I more miss the good stage shows that I saw there like Pocahontas and Beauty & the Beast and really hate to see that big area not being used!), and I miss the little boats that used to be over by the subs.

TowerofTerror
09-13-2009, 11:50 AM
The Rocket Rod and The People Move and Country Bear Jamboree

Bob Weaver
09-13-2009, 12:17 PM
I miss the "new Tomorrowland" of 1967 as it originally appeared, with water fountains on the 2 front façades instead of the planters that are there now. There were colored lights on the water at night, and it was really beautiful. With the PeopleMover cars silently gliding by in both directions, it really looked like the gateway to the "city of Tomorrow." They should have stayed with that look.